PDA

View Full Version : Degree days before tapping….

82cabby
01-02-2023, 06:58 PM
I remember seeing a guideline somewhere about predicting the best timeframe to start tapping based on the dormancy of the trees.

My memory is telling me it was 100 degree days below freezing based on the difference between the high and low temperatures for each day. For the life of me I can’t find the reference anywhere. Does anyone have a source, or does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
Dave

Swingpure
01-03-2023, 05:42 PM
The only thing I could find was a formulae with degree days to determine when the leaves would bud on an old mapletrader post.

http://mapletrader.com/community/archive/index.php/t-3031.html

DrTimPerkins
01-04-2023, 07:46 AM
I remember seeing a guideline somewhere about predicting the best timeframe to start tapping based on the dormancy of the trees.

The sapflow mechanism is not controlled by dormancy or dormancy release. While there could be a relationship (warmer temperatures induce sapflow), the relationship between dormancy and sapflow are not casual.

A good example demonstrating this is the fact that sap will flow in the fall (well before dormancy release) once we have freezing and thawing conditions.

Dormancy, budbreak, and sapflow are considerably different physiological processes.

82cabby
01-04-2023, 04:42 PM
The sapflow mechanism is not controlled by dormancy or dormancy release. While there could be a relationship (warmer temperatures induce sapflow), the relationship between dormancy and sapflow are not casual.

A good example demonstrating this is the fact that sap will flow in the fall (well before dormancy release) once we have freezing and thawing conditions.

Dormancy, budbreak, and sapflow are considerably different physiological processes.

Thank you Dr Perkins for clearing that up for me!