PDA

View Full Version : North East Ohio 2023

johnallin
01-02-2023, 04:59 PM
Time for another NE OHIO thread.

With the decent weather - and 2 weeks off - I’ve been in the woods a lot lately.
Spent some time trying to clean out the main line in our North woods with a foam “pig” which turned into a small fiasco and have been extending some laterals and adding taps to that same area.
Also just finished a new shed roof on the sugar house to cover releaser and collection tank.

After last year’s disappointingly short and warm season (ended up dumping sap because it spoiled during the daytime high temps) I will welcome a more traditional 6 weeks this year.

Anyone got any major changes in the works?
I’m chomping at the bit over here.
Happy New Year.

fred
01-03-2023, 08:42 AM
I would HIGHLY recommend using the "Leader clear filter press" at the end of your releaser. I have no doubt when the time comes for the sponge to come though, you will capture it and be very visible! Though very likely to crack yet another plate and possibly blow completely though. {big grin}

Happy New Year John!!

johnallin
01-03-2023, 07:01 PM
Nah, I save the Clear Press for the really small stuff…the CDL lifter and releaser are for sponges and other fancy stuff.

Happy New Year to you guys too!!

johnallin
01-07-2023, 05:13 PM
Been getting everything ready and adding some more good trees.
Still haven’t found the “pig-sponge” I sent through last weekend.
Weather is certainly warmer than last year, but am holding off until at least mid-January.
Met a great young man at Richard’s (Fred’s) today who’s adding vac to a 3rd generation bush, I was impressed with the enthusiasm.

Hunt4sap
01-08-2023, 06:17 AM
Hello there, I haven't been on here in a while. I didn't have any at all last year because of the strange weather and too busy with other stuff, also had plenty of syrup leftover. I only do buckets and honestly have been tempted to tap with these 40s during the day and 20s and 30s in the forecast but I also don't want to tap too early and have them freeze out before the run actually starts (usually in February and March)
The first year I tapped my trees was 2016 I believe and I did it in mid January so it does kind of have me itching?

fred
01-09-2023, 12:09 PM
I was impressed with the enthusiasm.

Just to be clear it was HIS enthusiasm not mine. (grin)

CrossBroMaple
01-16-2023, 02:08 PM
Just got a call from a news report asking if anyone has started tapping? And out the crystal ball question of is it too early? We have not here in Madison though this weather says otherwise

johnallin
01-16-2023, 04:57 PM
I'm not tapped, but real close to being ready.
Little warm this week but next week looks good, week after looks like it's in the freezer - anything past that is a crap shoot.
For now I'm holding until week after next but I'll bet there's some syrup being made in Geauga as I type.

Kh7722
01-17-2023, 07:56 AM
Just got a call from a news report asking if anyone has started tapping? And out the crystal ball question of is it too early? We have not here in Madison though this weather says otherwise

Not tapping here in Montville yet either. After Thursday it looks like the cold will start for 3-4 weeks. I will take that opportunity to tap and will be in around Feb 1st give or take depending on forecast as it gets closer.
Time will tell.

jetdoc
01-17-2023, 08:59 AM
After a long seven months we finaly got the woods cleaned up and the last saddle installed last week. We lost around 60 maples and other various trees. But we got it done. Thanks to Fred from Richards for the help and all the CDL supplies to make this possiable. We are just waiting on a few more things and will be ready for the 2023 season.

buckeye gold
01-17-2023, 02:55 PM
I feel your pain jetdoc, looks like my woods after the ice storm last year. I logged out the logs, but I still have some tops to cut into firewood. We skidded out over $7,000.00 in logs from blowdowns. The money came in handy, but I'd rather still have the trees.

Sap is gushing from the trees down here in southern Ohio. My early taps are going nuts.

johnallin
01-17-2023, 03:36 PM
After a long seven months we finaly got the woods cleaned up and the last saddle installed last week. We lost around 60 maples and other various trees. But we got it done. Thanks to Fred from Richards for the help and all the CDL supplies to make this possiable. We are just waiting on a few more things and will be ready for the 2023 season.

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=22753&stc=1
That's a big root system in the 2nd pic! Holy cow!
Fred try to sell you a Clear Press while he was there?
Probably thought no body was looking...

woodburner
01-17-2023, 03:57 PM
Opened up the sugarbush yesterday and today. Cannot remember doing it at 50deg in January. “times they are a changing” Looks like an early start this year again. Looking to also pick a day near Feb 1. About one day from ready to go sure would like to see some cold first.

johnallin
01-17-2023, 05:36 PM
3 weeks in the 40's is not normal here
Latest forecast for next week: Overnight lows in the 20's - days in the mid 30's, then later in the week calling for 20's and teens for 5 days straight. I'll take it.

Dk0306
01-18-2023, 07:03 AM
Been trying to figure out when to tap. Thinking I will wait to see what temps look like in two weeks - it looks like temps may get back to the cold temps we usually expect. The cold/snow then 50s and rain cycle has really been making it difficult to find a good time to tap.

jetdoc
01-18-2023, 07:08 AM
It was 20 feet across and the same in heigth. The log was measured out at 100 foot long when they logged it out. No he didnt try, Im guessing he has it hiden for his own personal use.

buckeye gold
01-18-2023, 05:30 PM
wow jetdoc, that was one tall tree. Was that a clear log 100 feet long? I never measured any total length but we had some we got 4-5 logs out of. We set most of the root balls back up with a dozer after we cut the logs off, but some sat back down on their own. We cut the logs off within a few weeks of the storm though.

jetdoc
01-19-2023, 05:18 PM
buckeye gold that was just the log itself no top.

johnallin
01-30-2023, 06:19 AM
Here comes the cold weather..looks like go time next week. Any made any syrup yet?

WoodButcher
02-01-2023, 07:44 PM
Sunday is the day... Tap away!

heus
02-02-2023, 05:47 AM
I will also be tapping Sunday. About 100 buckets. If I was still on vac I would have been tapped for a couple of weeks now.

johnallin
02-02-2023, 07:53 PM
I'm going to get the sugar house setup and go next week..looks like it's getting warm this week.

christopherh
02-02-2023, 09:07 PM
I’ll definitely tap this weekend. Would have liked to tap this week but out of town for work.

Kh7722
02-03-2023, 06:48 PM
All tapped and ready to go here.
Finished up today in the 10 degree weather with 30mph winds. If the forecast holds true we will be ripping through sap by monday. Have 5000 this year up from 1250 last year, should be exciting.

heus
02-04-2023, 07:25 AM
Finished up today in the 10 degree weather with 30mph winds. If the forecast holds true we will be ripping through sap by monday. Have 5000 this year up from 1250 last year, should be exciting.
Did you ever put that Gast 1023 to work that you bought from me? Just wondering how it performs.

Kh7722
02-04-2023, 07:46 AM
Did you ever put that Gast 1023 to work that you bought from me? Just wondering how it performs.
Yes.
Its up the road on a small leased woods. Only had 350 taps on it and a sap ladder. Works well.
Would like to get a little more out of it but the ladder kills it.
Luckily its a 2.5-3% woods

johnallin
02-04-2023, 11:47 AM

5000 is a boat load!
I think sap's going to break loose tomorrow and go all day Monday - you've got the oil tank full I hope!

miboss
02-04-2023, 04:45 PM
I got 450/500 tapped today, will finish up tomorrow morning. Interested to see if the trees wake up quickly or over a couple days. Happy Boiling!

Kh7722
02-04-2023, 05:44 PM
5000 is a boat load!
I think sap's going to break loose tomorrow and go all day Monday - you've got the oil tank full I hope!

Liquid firewood tanks are full.

We will be waiting, still think its going to take a little bit to really break loose

johnallin
02-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Liquid firewood tanks are full.

We will be waiting, still think its going to take a little bit to really break loose

With 5000 you better keep ‘em full!
You’re going to make more in one day than lots of us will all season.
Did you get ever get the silo tank you were looking at?

Still have my money on tomorrow running like a freight train.

Kh7722
02-04-2023, 06:33 PM
With 5000 you better keep ‘em full!
You’re going to make more in one day than lots of us will all season.
Did you get ever get the silo tank you were looking at?

Still have my money on tomorrow running like a freight train.

No silo tank, unaffordable for what they are, almost double the normal tank cost.

Choo choo, gonna chew through sap…..hopefully lol

heus
02-05-2023, 06:59 AM
Hung around 105 buckets yesterday. Didn't think we would get sap today but with it warming up overnight I think it will begin running by afternoon.

johnallin
02-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Tapped 6 of eight 3/16 lines in back woods today.
Sap is running…trees are waking up.
Beautiful day to be outside. Getting pumped up.

Kevin. You ready for tonight’s tsunami?
Better tuck in early, it’s gonna be a long day for you guys tomorrow…5000 taps in Montville Heights..who would have thought.

johnallin
02-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Anyone boil today?
Kevin’s probably got the life jackets out… just trying to keep his head above water…and grinning all the way to the bank.
Meanwhile I’m over here polishing up the Clear Press in anticipation <grin>

heus
02-06-2023, 06:40 PM
Collected 115 gallons from 105 buckets. Just finished first boil. Crystal clear 3% sap. My sap has never averaged that high as far as I can remember.

woodburner
02-06-2023, 06:55 PM
sweetened the pans today and boiled a few hours . Big surprise today Sap tested at 3% . This is only the second time we have had sap that high in 40 plus years. The trees must have liked the mild temps so far. 28.67 to 1 sure is a great start.Looks like a busy week ahead. Sure do like the big maples in this bush. Remember “when the sap is runnin the saps are runnin.’

johnallin
02-06-2023, 07:03 PM
Collected 115 gallons from 105 buckets. Just finished first boil. Crystal clear 3% sap. My sap has never averaged that high as far as I can remember.

sweetened the pans today and boiled a few hours . Big surprise today Sap tested at 3% . This is only the second time we have had sap that high in 40 plus years. The trees must have liked the mild temps so far. 28.67 to 1 sure is a great start.Looks like a busy week ahead. Sure do like the big maples in this bush. Remember “when the sap is runnin the saps are runnin.’

Whoa, that's 2 for 2 with 3%. Sure hope the trees aren't further along than normal with the mild weather we've had...
That would indicate a short season, and maybe we're further along than we'd like to think?

CrossBroMaple
02-08-2023, 04:17 PM
No 3% here on the lakeshore, but with mostly soft maple we are getting 2%. First boil of 2023 underway

christopherh
02-08-2023, 07:32 PM
My stand of reds were at 1.4 and the sugars were at 2.5

miboss
02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
First boil today, huge boil, I'm guessing we got about 3.5 gal per tap in the last 24 hours. Made about 25 gallons of light amber (hanna 69) after the pans were sweatened, should have a decent boil tomorrow, but nothing like today's.

Sugar was at 2% which is good for my woods which is usually 1.5%

johnallin
02-08-2023, 09:40 PM
No 3% here on the lakeshore, but with mostly soft maple we are getting 2%. First boil of 2023 underway

My stand of reds were at 1.4 and the sugars were at 2.5

I won't even know what I have here until this weekend...is that high for you guys, or normal?

christopherh
02-09-2023, 05:50 AM
I won't even know what I have here until this weekend...is that high for you guys, or normal?

Pretty typical here John

heus
02-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Four days collected on 105 buckets has produced 520 gallons. Started at 3%, then 2.75%, then 2.8% yesterday. I have not been home to get a sugar content on today's sap that my son collected. This is higher than normal sugar content for me.

johnallin
02-09-2023, 03:51 PM
Pretty typical here John

Four days collected on 105 buckets has produced 520 gallons. Started at 3%, then 2.75%, then 2.8% yesterday. I have not been home to get a sugar content on today's sap that my son collected. This is higher than normal sugar content for me.

Chris - I hope to see 1.5 - 2% on my mix of mostly reds with maybe 25% hard maple.

Jason - those are good trees and a lot of sap for buckets - geez. Can only guess what Kevin has been swimming through with 5,000 on hi-vac!

By the sound of it - this has been a good week for collections...67°F here today probably shut em down though.
I should finish tapping our North and front woods tomorrow or Saturday and hope to boil Sunday thru mid next week if the cold holds, but 67°F here today sure feels like March.

Kh7722
02-09-2023, 08:01 PM
Definitely warm today. Sap flow has slowed a bit and let us catch up al little. Made the color a little darker as well, but great flavor. Looking forward to the cold snap coming. Might need some more drums.

christopherh
02-09-2023, 08:46 PM
Another pretty good run today, sugar is about the same as yesterday. We’ll see what we get tomorrow.

johnallin
02-09-2023, 08:47 PM
Definitely warm today. Sap flow has slowed a bit and let us catch up al little. Made the color a little darker as well, but great flavor. Looking forward to the cold snap coming. Might need some more drums.

I'm betting with 5k taps, you need tankers...not drums! <big grin>

miboss
02-09-2023, 10:07 PM
slowed down a little today, but still made 20 gallons of light amber (69 hanna again). Sap was still at 2% Things still running when I got done cleaning up at 10:30. probably will need to boil again tomorrow then get a couple days break with the weekend cold temps.

heus
02-10-2023, 06:59 AM
Didn't think it would run much overnight but my test bucket at my house was half full. Good thing though, because empty buckets would have been blown all over the woods last night.

miboss
02-11-2023, 06:41 AM
decent run yesterday, sugar dropped to 1.5%, sap ran till 11 last night. Made 11.5 gal amber, 69 hanna again for 3rd straight boil.

johnallin
02-11-2023, 04:18 PM
Almost got done tapping today and they’re still running!
Will finish in the morning then turn vac on and fill tanks.
You guys must be buried, I’ve yet to strike a match.
Could be a good year after all.

miboss
02-11-2023, 07:26 PM
had an unexpectedly good run today, wasn't thinking I'd have to boil till Monday, but I may need to boil tomorrow.

heus
02-12-2023, 08:07 AM
Yep things have been running real good on buckets. My goal is 30 gallons on 105ish buckets. Almost halfway there in less than a week. Sugar has been good for my woods.

johnallin
02-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Yep things have been running real good on buckets. My goal is 30 gallons on 105ish buckets. Almost halfway there in less than a week. Sugar has been good for my woods.

Hope that doesn't mean it's half over!

miboss
02-12-2023, 06:20 PM
boiled again today, 11.5 gal amber, it darkened a bit (hanna 59, from 69), probably because I didn't boil yesterday and left my pans sweatened in a heated sugar house (I keep it about 40-45).

miboss
02-15-2023, 08:47 PM
sap really slowed today, syrup also moved into the dark range.

Ekrueger
02-15-2023, 10:42 PM
Sap also slowed here in Granger the last two days. Sugar has been good but today dropped to 1.8%. Much better than last years sugar content. We probably need the rain, but I have been enjoying the warm temps and little mud to deal with. I am well over half my normal season total of syrup this last week and a half.

heus
02-16-2023, 05:13 AM
I have made 18.5 gallons so far. My goal is 30 from 105 buckets. Didn't collect yesterday because I didn't want my buckets blowing into the next county. Sugar content on Tuesday was 2.5.

johnallin
02-16-2023, 07:30 AM
Finally got my first boil in yesterday.
After dumping Monday's sap (had junk from lines in it) I pulled in about 480 gallons Tues-Wed and squashed that down to 135 with the little CDL Hobby RO. Filled the 2x6 and let 'er rip. About 3 gal of nice light syrup, no "fire drills" and everything went as it should - which is rare for a first boil.

As for the benefits of using a local dealer? I needed some parts to repair the CDL sap lifter...quick call to Fred, trip to the store, pick up parts and all was good before lunch time. You don't get that with E'bay..

Kh7722
02-16-2023, 06:01 PM
As for the benefits of using a local dealer? I needed some parts to repair the CDL sap lifter...quick call to Fred, trip to the store, pick up parts and all was good before lunch time. You don't get that with E'bay..[/QUOTE]

Do people still use EBAY??

Sugarmaker
02-16-2023, 07:18 PM
You guys next door to the west are doing good!
Several sugar makers here making syrup every day and are over half a crop at this point.
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

johnallin
02-16-2023, 08:13 PM
As for the benefits of using a local dealer? I needed some parts to repair the CDL sap lifter...quick call to Fred, trip to the store, pick up parts and all was good before lunch time. You don't get that with E'bay..

Do people still use EBAY??[/QUOTE]

Probably not...just showing my age...
You getting any sleep lately, gotta be getting tired.

johnallin
02-17-2023, 06:07 AM
You guys next door to the west are doing good!
Several sugar makers here making syrup every day and are over half a crop at this point.
Keep boiling! Regards, Chris

And to think I tapped about as early as I've ever ...but still late for the party. This is looking like 2012

heus
02-19-2023, 07:30 AM
A couple of firsts for me. One, I blew a filter press hose in half. The one between my CDL diaphragm pump and my filter press. It sounded like a gunshot and made quite the mess. Like most people with filter presses, I have blown a paper before but never even heard of a hose blowing in half. These are the silicone brewery hoses that Smoky Lake sells. I will be switching back to a clear milk hose which is much stronger material. The pressue built up because I allowed the press to cool off between batches. Secondly, I boiled the cloudy sap from our warm run last mid-week. Expecting low sugar because of the bacteria, I was surprised to see 3%. I had to double check because I couldn't believe it. Going out to collect here shortly. My test tree outside my house window ran all night.

johnallin
02-19-2023, 08:26 AM
Jason, Leader uses stainless braided hose between the pump and the Clear Press...you won't blow that up.

My 330 gal tank is overflowing this morning...must have run all night, it was empty at 7pm yesterday.

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2023, 09:08 AM
The pressue built up because I allowed the press to cool off between batches.

Use the bypass valve to slowly introduce hot syrup into a filter press that has cooled off. This will allow it to warm up more gently and (hopefully) avoid spraying syrup all over the place...although it's almost a requirement that this happens at least every now and then. When it does occur, I always end up with the Def Leppard song "Pour Some Sugar on Me" running through my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIB9Y4OFPs

heus
02-19-2023, 10:05 AM
Use the bypass valve to slowly introduce hot syrup into a filter press that has cooled off. This will allow it to warm up more gently and (hopefully) avoid spraying syrup all over the place...although it's almost a requirement that this happens at least every now and then. When it does occur, I always end up with the Def Leppard song "Pour Some Sugar on Me" running through my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIB9Y4OFPs
Thanks Dr. Tim. Like a genius I did not have the bypass hose hooked up.

MapleCreekFarm
02-19-2023, 10:59 AM
Anyone else in NE Ohio seeing lower sap flow over the last week? It seems the sap is just not running as much as I would expect for the weather.

Kh7722
02-19-2023, 01:07 PM
Anyone else in NE Ohio seeing lower sap flow over the last week? It seems the sap is just not running as much as I would expect for the weather.

We need rain, or snow. Very dry in woods. Mud makes sap

johnallin
02-19-2023, 02:07 PM
Still coming in over here. Pulled about 450 gal 1.5% since last night and the CDL Hobby can’t keep up.
Normally recirculate in my sap tank to 4-5% but not today.
Coming in almost as fast as I’m squashing it!
Don’t understand it as we are pretty dry here also.

MapleCreekFarm
02-19-2023, 02:13 PM
Still coming in over here. Pulled about 450 gal 1.5% since last night and the CDL Hobby can’t keep up.
Normally recirculate in my sap tank to 4-5% but not today.
Coming in almost as fast as I’m squashing it!
Don’t understand it as we are pretty dry here also.

Oh it's coming in down here too. Probably got close to 500 gal since 9am this morning. But it's only running about 2/3 what it was a couple weeks ago.

johnallin
02-19-2023, 02:42 PM
I’m only only at 325 taps.
That’s a good run for us but I wasn’t tapped last week, so can’t compare.
Sounds like those who were in had huge runs that’s for sure.
Definitely a strange year - hit 70 here on Wednesday

CrossBroMaple
02-19-2023, 02:57 PM
I believe it is dry in the woods and could use some moisture to help sap flow. Did have some good sap come on overnight and today, still holding around 1.8% which is good not great for me. Nearing 60% of a normal crop

johnallin
02-19-2023, 03:21 PM
60% is awesome for as early as it is.
And I’m just now bottling Wednesday boil while waiting for the RO to squash down today’s sap a bit more.
Will give me a chance to fire up the Clear Press for the first time this year 😎
I absolutely refuse to boil anything less than 4% anymore.

Kh7722
02-19-2023, 05:03 PM
60% is awesome for as early as it is.
And I’m just now bottling Wednesday boil while waiting for the RO to squash down today’s sap a bit more.
Will give me a chance to fire up the Clear Press for the first time this year 😎

4%?

I have a hard time boiling less than 10%.

johnallin
02-19-2023, 05:43 PM
Kevin
With 5000 taps I don’t blame you.
Not enough hours is a day for anything less in your world.
Me, I shoot for 4 min but prefer 5-6 if I have the time to RO.

Nogden3929
02-19-2023, 06:53 PM
Barely got any today or yesterday, maybe 800 gallons of sap from 800 taps. Ones on top flowed a bit, everything below barely at all. Disappointed for the weather.

Nogden3929
02-19-2023, 06:59 PM
So if I water the trees about how much per tree do you think?

fred
02-20-2023, 03:32 PM

I am glad you have standards now. {big grin}

johnallin
02-20-2023, 04:24 PM
Yup. It’s part of maintaining “Out of County” status. Much higher standards are required. 😎
This year better shape up soon …Fred’s stirring the pot.

heus
02-20-2023, 05:01 PM
We need rain! It is crunchy dry in my woods.

Pdiamond
02-20-2023, 06:00 PM
I would be more than happy to share some of ours, it's sloppy muddy. You can't hardly walk without slipping on some mud soaked ground.

christopherh
02-20-2023, 07:08 PM
Yes, send it our way. I could probably plow some of my fields right now.

ohiosam
02-20-2023, 09:00 PM
Ended up with 175 gallons today from 105 taps.

Hunt4sap
02-21-2023, 12:28 PM
One of my red maples in our yard has a ton of red looking hairs coming from the buds (which usually marks the end for collecting from that tree but I tasted the sap yesterday and it was not buddy tasting at all?) I'll do it again today but so far it's still running very clear and no off flavor

johnallin
02-21-2023, 06:13 PM
Looking much better for the next week. Here we go, I’m stoked now!

heus
02-21-2023, 06:56 PM
Looks good John. Wish my sugars would wake back up. Even vac not doing all that great around here at the moment.

johnallin
02-21-2023, 07:19 PM
Looks good John. Wish my sugars would wake back up. Even vac not doing all that great around here at the moment.

Forecast is calling for rain tomorrow and then snow over the weekend, with what looks like some ideal temp swings...maybe that will do it.
I had a hard time keeping up with Sunday's sap. Close to 2 gal/tap and 1.5% which is normal for us.
Finally got it up to 7% and boiled it off last night. It is dry in my woods too, but it's still early and lots of weather to come yet...it's only mid February!
My taps are only on their 2nd week - hoping that makes a difference.

miboss
02-22-2023, 10:26 AM
just heard a huge tree fall in my woods due to an ice storm, it looks like it took out about 20% of my lines, not going out till much later. Be careful out there!

johnallin
02-22-2023, 11:19 AM
That stinks Mike.

miboss
02-22-2023, 12:36 PM
Still not going in woods, but looks like only a couple lines broke, the others look stretched under limbs. Missed my main line by 5 ft. Overall, should be able to have most repairs tonight/tomorrow.

johnallin
02-22-2023, 04:39 PM
Our Dad used to say “If you pray for potatoes - you better grab a hoe.”

Looks like someone’s been praying for rain… cause we got lots of water in the woods now!
Bring it on, here we go for round 2!!

heus
02-22-2023, 07:18 PM
Yep. Things are running real good as we speak.

ohiosam
02-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Sap was flowing good today and the forecast looks good for next week.

johnallin
02-23-2023, 09:07 PM
Sap was flowing good today and the forecast looks good for next week.

Sure was, I pulled in close to 1 gpt today...but I think it's gonna be lights for the next day or so.

ohiosam
02-25-2023, 07:34 AM
2 of the biggest temp swings in Youngstown in the last 75+ years were this February

heus
02-26-2023, 04:27 PM
Only my south facing taps running well today. Still pretty cold in the woods.

MapleCreekFarm
02-26-2023, 04:59 PM
Just curious how much sap others are getting these last 2 days? On 1300 taps with 25"+ vac I'm about .7 gal of sap per tap. I've been tapped since the first week of January and so I'm trying to figure out if and how much my taps are running less than others that tapped around the first of February. Thanks,

Kh7722
02-26-2023, 05:47 PM
Just curious how much sap others are getting these last 2 days? On 1300 taps with 25"+ vac I'm about .7 gal of sap per tap. I've been tapped since the first week of January and so I'm trying to figure out if and how much my taps are running less than others that tapped around the first of February. Thanks,

Just over a gpt today. It open way up at about 3pm. Running 27.5” and flowing well. Should freeze tonight and with rain Tomorrow im expecting it tonopen up.

johnallin
02-26-2023, 08:30 PM
Just over a gpt today. It open way up at about 3pm. Running 27.5” and flowing well. Should freeze tonight and with rain Tomorrow im expecting it tonopen up.

About 3/4 gpt here. Been fighting a lifter that’s acting more like a ladder.
Bringing it in but not like I would have expected. Must have a major leak somewhere but I sure can’t find it.
You’re right about tomorrow, the low pressure system should open the gates.
1 gpt on 5,000 taps is a huge amount of sap…and wood or “liquid wood”.
Where you storing all the barrels Kev? Hats off to what you’ve accomplished in a few short years!

Paddymountain
02-27-2023, 08:05 AM
The same here in central Pa; gpt after 3:00 pm

johnallin
02-27-2023, 09:53 PM
Barometer here is 28.2…that’s really, really Low.
Went out to check and tank is almost overflowing.
Have RO on a timer for 2 hrs to get a jump on it.
You big guys are gonna need life jackets tomorrow!

Edit: pressure at sea level is 29.2, we’re at 945 ft and showing 28.2.

heus
02-28-2023, 06:06 AM
John its running real good in Ashtabula County, too. Got over a gallon per tap on my buckets just during the day yesterday, and already have some 3 gallon buckets overflowing from overnight. Sap at 2.5% yesterday.

johnallin
02-28-2023, 08:44 AM
Full tank here also. About 1 gpt at 1.5% which is usual.
Saw my first moth this morning though.

Darrel Wright
02-28-2023, 10:02 AM
Ran ok here in northern Portage yesterday afternoon through night, a little over a gallon per tap from then to now. Not really gangbusters. Although I tapped mostly in mid Jan and just feel like the older tapholes are just tired. Our best gravity line actually shutdown completely a week ago amidst the long dry spell. Odd though because the line right next to it is running ok, if not what it was when we started.

heus
02-28-2023, 04:43 PM
165 gallons of 2.5% sap on 107 or so buckets since last night.

johnallin
03-01-2023, 06:19 AM
Nice day yesterday. Ran the CDL Hobby RO for 6 hours and pulled 300+ gallons of H20 out...still have 100 gal in the tank.
Got to fix the leak at the lifter ? - I'm sure I could have pulled more in, but still happy to have what I have.

johnallin
03-01-2023, 06:42 AM
Any one with excessive foam this late in season?
The last 2 boils the flue pan foamed so badly it came up into my steam hood!
Condensate draining from the steam hood turned golden brown...
I've seen that before with a first boil of the year, but never after that.

Pretty sure it's not the clear press, but going to check the manual later today to be on the safe side.

miboss
03-01-2023, 11:26 AM
Looks like my season is over. I had high hopes on Sunday, when I got some nice clear sap. I boiled the little that came in Sunday/Monday yesterday, but buds are fully open today (I have mostly soft maples), sap both looks and smells bad.

Another 3 weeks season, it tough to want to keep doing this for 3 week seasons...I did make a little more than last year, about 140 gal compared to 120 last year. It's a shame, I had everything dialed in on day 1 this year. I'll boil off my pan tonight/tomorrow and start cleaning up. Good luck to the rest of you.

I thought I was tapping early on 2/5, in hind sight, I should have tapped 1/1.

woodburner
03-01-2023, 04:38 PM
Getting near the end over here, sap filters are beginning to gum up. Syrup filters are getting bad also. Maybe one or two batches and that will be it . Tapped on Feb.2 and we are up to 100gal on 320taps , no complaints here. Very busy , steady four weeks. Sap down to 2.3%

johnallin
03-01-2023, 04:55 PM
Oh oh
Sure hope I have more time than that.
Just tapped 2 weeks ago!
That’s a lot of syrup for 320 taps, nice trees for sure.
Good luck with the rest of your boils.

Darrel Wright
03-01-2023, 06:34 PM
Yes indeed, fired up this afternoon and I swear I could have shaved with that foam. Seemed strange, but then again everything this year seemed strange.

heus
03-02-2023, 05:14 AM
Oh oh
Sure hope I have more time than that.
Just tapped 2 weeks ago!
That’s a lot of syrup for 320 taps, nice trees for sure.
Good luck with the rest of your boils.

John I believe the season is far from over up here if you are on all sugar maples.

WoodButcher
03-02-2023, 05:57 AM
John I believe the season is far from over up here if you are on all sugar maples.

Boiled down Monday and Tuesday's sap yesterday, all crystal clear. The 10 day forecast looks good as far as I can see...

johnallin
03-02-2023, 06:21 AM

About 30% sugar maples with the rest, reds and a handful of black maple, but 'm sure ready to keep going.- after 5 boils I'm just getting my rhythm back!
Made a tad over 6 gallons last night on the 105 gal of sap I got down to 6.25% on the CDL Hobby RO.

Hey, did I get it down to 6.25%...or Up to 6.25%. Just realized how confusing that could be...
Going out in a bit to find my Vacuum leak with the CDL Leak finder Gizmo. Stay tuned.

ohiosam
03-02-2023, 07:27 AM
I'm south of Ytown and the silvers buds have moved a lot, guys around here with a lot of silvers are giving up. I pulled most of my silver taps a week ago, but that's maybe 10-15% of my taps. My sugar and norway buds are still tight.

MapleCreekFarm
03-03-2023, 07:27 PM
Well.....I think my season is over. My trees pretty much quit running yesterday. I'll probably keep my taps in till next week and see if a good freeze gives me anymore, but I doubt it.

Oh well, it was a good run. Tapped first week of January. Ran great all January and first half of February. Then that dry weather on top of too many 50, 60 and a few 70 degree days just shut it down. I was shocked how quickly it turned off. Tuesday and Wednesday was still running albeit slowly. Today only got 50 gal from 7am till 4pm on 490 taps at 25.5" of vac.
Right at 500 gal of syrup off 1300 taps so I'll not complain.
Although the proverb writer said there are 4 things that don't say enough, I think a fifth one could be added. A Sugar maker at the end of the season....🙂🙂

Darrel Wright
03-06-2023, 08:34 AM
Looks to be decision day for us too here in northern portage. Growing degree days and the forsythea that is my usual sign say there should still be a run left. But the trees seem to be saying otherwise. Good for you for hitting that early jan run, I thought that was just too too early, but we're only going to end up with a bit over a quart per tap.

fred
03-06-2023, 09:21 AM
Looks to be decision day for us too here in northern portage. Growing degree days and the forsythea that is my usual sign say there should still be a run left. But the trees seem to be saying otherwise. Good for you for hitting that early jan run, I thought that was just too too early, but we're only going to end up with a bit over a quart per tap.

The season is nowhere near over in the area. The flow has slowed down but still getting 1-1.5 gallons a day when it does run.

WoodButcher
03-06-2023, 10:13 AM
The season is nowhere near over in the area. The flow has slowed down but still getting 1-1.5 gallons a day when it does run.Same here. Percent is sticking at 1.8-2 on our sugars. They have definitely slowed down though...

johnallin
03-06-2023, 06:01 PM
I’m still pulling sap in but the past 24 hrs it’s been really cloudy and funky smelling.
Buds here are still tight and it’s been cold but what I’m getting doesn’t reflect those conditions.

Just dumped 300 gallons and going to let everything rest thinking this cold snap may clear it up.
I hated to do it but, just not up for spoiling what I’ve got in the rig and/or wasting time and wood…
I saw that movie once before…I was in it…the ending wasn’t pretty.
Anyone else around here seeing the same or is it the clear press’s fault?

heus
03-06-2023, 08:05 PM
John I made some pretty good tasting dark last night from some questionable sap that I collected in the last couple days.
And also a major change in draw off temp last night (like over a whole degree difference).

christopherh
03-06-2023, 10:09 PM
Still going here. Definitely has slowed down. I’m still pulling in sap right now at 33 degrees outside. Made some nice dark Sunday and will boil again tomorrow. Hang in there, we’ve got a little more to come.

johnallin
03-07-2023, 05:56 AM
I don't think it's over, just some funky sap runs.
With the cold temps and snow we had last night, I'm looking for a re-set.
Thinking trees and lines were filling with junk from the mild temps...now it's looking like lows in the 20's - highs in the 30's for the next week or more.

Kh7722
03-07-2023, 06:49 AM
Definitely looks like another week probably 2.
Get all you can!

christopherh
03-07-2023, 08:14 PM
Sunshine was a big help today! Sap was clear, back to amber.

johnallin
03-08-2023, 04:43 PM
Sunshine was a big help today! Sap was clear, back to amber.

I pulled a small amount in yesterday and it was much clearer.
Checked this afternoon and it was trickling in and still clearer than last week.
Fingers crossed for some good clear sap and a chance to make some light.

johnallin
03-09-2023, 05:15 PM
Finally sap is crystal clear again.
Pic taken a few minutes ago of the releaser.
About 1/2 gpt today and expect more tomorrow.

agreb12
03-11-2023, 05:30 PM
Just starting to wind down this year. Haven’t posted in a couple years. We’ve been up and down on taps, dependent on availability each season. This year we did 10 taps, and only got to process 3 days. But, pretty excited for next year as we’ve been working on a lean to to house an evaporator. 8x8 footprint and the roof will be 12x12. All lumber either laying around, or pine timber from the woods. My dad and I have been into it since the beginning and it’s a great bonding experience. 2302923030

heus
03-11-2023, 05:32 PM
Has anyone else in the area had an unusually high amount of niter this year? This has been a great season so far but perhaps the worst niter in my syrup pan that I have experienced.

christopherh
03-11-2023, 06:24 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Pdiamond
03-11-2023, 06:28 PM
It's great that you are getting to enjoy the time with your father. Treasure that time because there will come a day when you will miss him. I know.

johnallin
03-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Has anyone else in the area had an unusually high amount of niter this year? This has been a great season so far but perhaps the worst niter in my syrup pan that I have experienced.
Jason
Can’t say we’ve had more, but I am cleaning the pans more than previous years as it seems I have more time between boils.
Boiled again today and put up 3 gal of real nice dark amber. Sap was clear as a bell and foam up in flue pan was nothing like earlier boils. No sap came in though as woods are still too cold. Maybe tomorrow.

Aaron Stack
03-12-2023, 01:55 AM

I've cleaned so many times this year it's ridiculous. Boiled yesterday and I'll be cleaning today just to make it go faster than Friday's cleaning

heus
03-12-2023, 07:48 AM
I have gotten into the habit of going to the sugarhouse on my way to work, draining the sweet from the syrup pan, and filling with a white vinegar solution that I reuse. Prior to boiling I drain the vinegar, take the syrup pan outside, and rinse with water. In the past I only had to do that maybe once every 2-3 boils but it has been needed every time this year.

RC Maple
03-13-2023, 08:15 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I have tapped two sets of trees this year. I thought that when I tapped the second woods, maybe the niter would be less. I have been cleaning the syrup section of the pan after almost every boil. The same as heus, I drain the pan, leave vinegar in it for the day, drain and rinse the pan for the next boil. I have had it before but seems much more frequent this year.

WoodButcher
03-13-2023, 11:53 AM
It's been fine here this year. The draw off divider usually just has a thin layer of niter on it that flakes off with a 3hr hot milkstone soak. The Orlon has been fine too. Real dark this last boil over the weekend but still Amber Rich!

johnallin
03-16-2023, 03:59 PM
After a week of cold; I turned vac back on this morning and after clearing out some ice, sap was coming in.
Checked mid-afternoon and had about .5 GPT in the tank.
So far buds are still tight and sap has gone back to clear.

I don't hear the fat lady yet...but then I can't hear very good...just ask my wife <grin>.

christopherh
03-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Sap on vac coming in pretty decent here. Buckets are pretty much done, not much in them if any. Sap is nice and clear.

johnallin
03-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Sap on vac coming in pretty decent here. Buckets are pretty much done, not much in them if any. Sap is nice and clear.

Chris.
That's exactly what I'm seeing over here.
Don't know how much longer, but forecast looks good and today's sap was just like yours...clear, and I'll take it.
This weekend will be 5 weeks tapped in over here...I thought I was late but maybe not so bad after all.
Boiled last Sat and put up 3 1/2 gal of amber, again with amazing taste.

CrossBroMaple
03-17-2023, 06:06 AM
Peepers out in full force this morning and brought me a full tank of sap! Working on 1.5 gpt since yesterday morning. I’m guessing this is my last weekend

johnallin
03-17-2023, 09:24 AM
Same here full tank!...Can't hear very well so have no idea what the peeper's are up to.

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=23064&stc=1

Pdiamond
03-17-2023, 06:39 PM
John, how big is that tank you have a picture of?

christopherh
03-17-2023, 08:45 PM
Wow! What a run. Back to light! Peepers have been quiet this way. Vac ran strong but my 3/16 runs have really slowed. Hoping for another good run next week.

heus
03-17-2023, 09:27 PM
No peepers here, either. Some of my buckets are dried up, while others are running over. They have been in for 6 weeks.

woodburner
03-20-2023, 02:48 PM
Finished up a few days ago and got the last batch in the can. Finished with 115gal so very good year. Tapped Feb 2 , overall sap was very sweet but filtering became a problem after 4 weeks in. Overall a good season , better than expected with such a warm winter. Hope everyone had a good year.

johnallin
03-20-2023, 03:20 PM
John, how big is that tank you have a picture of?

CDL 4x3x4 330 Gal

johnallin
03-20-2023, 03:22 PM
No peepers here, either. Some of my buckets are dried up, while others are running over. They have been in for 6 weeks.

I got about 350 gallons total on Friday and have it down to 100 at 4½%. All froze up in the sugar house over the weekend so will boil it down tonight.
No peepers over here!

Wow! What a run. Back to light! Peepers have been quiet this way. Vac ran strong but my 3/16 runs have really slowed. Hoping for another good run next week.

I turned vac back on this afternoon, I think it'll run through tonight and then shut down with no more freezes for the rest of the week...or make that a year?

christopherh
03-20-2023, 06:01 PM
That’s my plan as well John, I’ll keep things going until the sap fizzles out. Taking awhile for the trees to thaw today.

Pdiamond
03-20-2023, 06:36 PM
Thank you for the information. It sure looks bigger than that.

WoodButcher
03-21-2023, 11:03 AM
Same here. Maybe snag some more sap tomorrow and then call it a year.

johnallin
03-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Same here. Maybe snag some more sap tomorrow and then call it a year.

Boiled last night and made 5 gal of real nice tasting syrup.
Left vac on but not much in the tank this morning - maybe .3 GPT will see what's there when I get home.

For the third time this year the flue pan foamed up into the steam hood and had foam coming out of the drain tube!
Other than a first boil, I can't remember that ever happening. Crazy year for sure.

Kh7722
03-21-2023, 07:48 PM
Still getting decent quality and volumes of sap here, definitely worth the time to leave on a squeeze all we can out of it. This time of year leaving vac on and high vacuum make all the difference.

Time will tell, but the end is near.

Kh7722
03-24-2023, 06:34 PM
Just finished Boil 21 for the season, still tastes great.

johnallin
03-24-2023, 08:55 PM
Just finished Boil 21 for the season, still tastes great.

Way to go Kevin....Not as many boils, but the same here..,all good syrup.
Early start, long season, and buds are still tight - just weird as heck, this year's going to be one for the books..

heus
03-25-2023, 09:43 AM
Wrapping up what turned out to be a fantastic season in Ashtabula County. Doing my final bottling today, and expect to end up having over .4 gallons per tap. That's great considering I'm on buckets. That's even more per tap than a couple of my seasons on vac. Tapped first week of February and boiled around 25 times. Sugar content never went below 2%.
Final stats: 50 gallons made on 107 buckets.
.47 gallons per tap. Second best ratio in my 13 years of sugaring, with several of those years on vac. Never made any very dark robust, which is my favorite. #1 factor in this ratio is of course the great weather we have had. Secondly, I have my choice of 1200 or so taps in my woods, and am only tapping a little over 100 now, so I have the luxury of choosing my very best sugar maples.

maple marc
03-26-2023, 10:50 PM
Good for you, heus. Been a while since I had a year like that. Weather just not cooperating down here in west central Ohio. And yes, you know your 1,200 trees and you put your best players on the field.

fred
03-28-2023, 07:28 PM
pulled in another couple thousand gallons today out of my 30P. made 185 gallons of some real nice amber. best stuff ive put through my Clear Press this year.

johnallin
03-29-2023, 06:00 AM
pulled in another couple thousand gallons today out of my 30P. made 185 gallons of some real nice amber. best stuff ive put through my Clear Press this year.

Gotta love that Leader 30P Tube and nice to see you got a good press...

Kh7722
10-26-2023, 05:56 PM
Been busy in the woods!
Moving our pump house 500’ back and installing several hundred additional taps. Huge project which will allow us to expand in the future. New vacuum pump coming and several other changes, looking forward to it! Will be tapping soon.

Anything else happening out there? Besides the clear filter presses?

fred
10-30-2023, 09:29 AM
Anything else happening out there Besides the clear filter presses?

I have one in great shape :lol: 10 plate for sale . whole or in pieces whichever sells the fastest

johnallin
11-06-2023, 07:25 PM
Been busy in the woods!
Moving our pump house 500’ back and installing several hundred additional taps. Huge project which will allow us to expand in the future. New vacuum pump coming and several other changes, looking forward to it! Will be tapping soon.

Anything else happening out there? Besides the clear filter presses?

I have one in great shape :lol: 10 plate for sale . whole or in pieces whichever sells the fastest

Yo Kevin and Fred... welcome to 2024 and let the Games begin :cool:!

Getting prepped for another season and am back to checking Trader on a daily basis... I see the Clear Press is still the hot item...that's awesome.
Not much new over here Kev, but can't honestly say I've spent any real time in the woods yet, just put wood up this weekend, but as expected - you're going full tilt!

Hey Fred, you may have to hang on to your parts for a long while...kind of like the Maytag repairman... those Clear Presses just don't break - nobody needs any parts <big *** grin>
Good to see you two survived the Summer.

Kh7722
11-12-2023, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=johnallin;412338]Yo Kevin and Fred... welcome to 2024 and let the Games begin :cool:!

Getting prepped for another season and am back to checking Trader on a daily basis... I see the Clear Press is still the hot item...that's awesome.
Not much new over here Kev, but can't honestly say I've spent any real time in the woods yet, just put wood up this weekend, but as expected - you're going full tilt!

Just building a little better each year.

Have a Lapierre glass bead filter coming friday.ish. Will be one of the first in the area, so hopefully it works lol.
It’s supposed to clean up sap to a 3 micron level. Looking forward to the outcome. Will be tapping soon!!