PDA

View Full Version : Log Arch - Cutting Firewood

Toby
01-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Hey guys. I recently made a log arch to go behind my 4-wheeler so that i can pull full length logs out. It works pretty good to get into/around/under tubing. You would be suprised at how much a 4-wheeler can pull if you get the end of the log off the ground! Is anyone interested in one?

jemsklein
01-28-2008, 05:42 AM
could you post some pic's so we can see

Toby
01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I'll do my best to get some up...the log arch i made is still up in the woods, so if i get outta work before dark i'll go take some pictures. Has anyone else ever used one with a 4-wheeler?

Toby
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll do my best to get some up...the log arch i made is still up in the woods, so if i get outta work before dark i'll go take some pictures.

NH Maplemaker
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Toby, Yes a friend let me use his last summer!! It worked great.We pulled a lot of wood out with it !The only thing I did'nt like about his was you had to man handle the butt end of the log to hook to arch!! I would add a small electric winch or hand crank winch.
I also would like see pic's of yours. I could be interested in one, depending on it's design,wheel size, Price, and so on!!

jemsklein
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
well we use the tractor its a 384 layland with about 80 hp and it will pull 3 ft diameter log out of the mud and up the hill no problem unless it digs in to the side of the hill

Toby
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I made mine with a hand winch, and it works good to pull the logs up to the arch, then i hang the logs on a grab hook attached to the top of the log arch, so that the log isnt pulling on the cable all of the time. I am actually going to get a heavier duty winch when i get the chance.

How much is a log arch worth anyways? I made one for two reasons 1) I enjoy welding/building things and 2) it's cheaper than buying one. If i make one for someone i dont want it to cost an arm and a leg, just want to make enough to pay for my time (that'll keep my better half happy!!!)

Let me know what everyone thinks and i'll get some pics!

HHM-07
01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Toby
Sounds like a neat rig can't wait to see pics. where in Fairfield are you located? i am on Boot Hill Rd in esat fairfield

Dick @ Hobby Hill Maples
170 taps all on line
2x4 leader wood fired

Toby
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm on the far side of town near fairfield pond. I took some pics earlier, the should be up my 9am tomorrow

Toby
01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey guys, sorry it took a while, but here are some pics. I have some others if anyone is interested let me know and i'll email them to you. I also added a picture of a wagon i use with the four wheeler with removable side boards to make unloading easier. Let me know what you think or if you're interested

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
wow good job how wide of a log can it fit

Toby
01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
The opening in the back is about 31" wide, the biggest log i've pulled so far is probably 18 or 20" butt and about 20' long.

Toby
01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I cut mostly small trees while thinning out the woodlot and pull out 4 or 5 small logs at a time with it.

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
well lsat year we chope sevreal 4 foot wide loges and we got a 5 foot maple the we have to chop down later

Russell Lampron
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Toby how big is the 4 wheeler that you using?

Russ

Toby
01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I use a 500cc Polaras Sportsman

royalmaple
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Jemmie-

Your cutting the kings trees, there should be a stamp on them. King has already spoken for that stuff to build more ships with.

you have an 5' bar on your saw?

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
no i have a 20 inch bar i go all the way around and the center is usually hollow and the sould just come right down it usually breaks in to a couple peices when it hit the ground but it make one hell of a boom

Toby
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey guys sorry the log arch doesnt look more professional, I built it pretty quick without much of a plan. I just wanted to see if it worked. I think i'm going to try to build another one now that i know what i need to do. If anyone is interested drop me a line: davej8950@hotmail.com

If anybody has any ideas for improvements let me know and when i make my millions you'll get royalties!

maple flats
01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
When I took one of my Game of logging training sessions the instructor had a log arch, commercially built. The nice feature about it was how it lifted the log. The arch had a covenetioal shap to surround the log, but from the top center over the log it had a sturdy bar that went on an angle forward down to the hitch on about a 35-40 degree angle. He just backed up around the end on the log, hooked the chain around the log and the other end hooked to the sloped bar. When he drove it slid up and raised the log to pull, when he drove down a hill (not too steep) the log slid forward and both lowered to the ground which kept the log from passing the 4x4.

royalmaple
01-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Looks really nice, I made one for my 3pt hitch, so I can use that to lift up a log and pull out. I like the idea of the log's weight not being on the 3pt hitch and so on with something like this. One thing you might want to add or consider is some 45 degree braces on the inside corners, helping to support your top horizontal bar with all the weight on it. Maybe like 12" long, so they don't really crowd the area inside the lifting arch.

Toby
01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
The 45degree supports will definatly be in my second arch. Like i said I built this one pretty quick with as little investment as i could to see if it would work.

I considered making the arch with the "bar" to raise the log, but then the log needs to be where you can back all the way up to it. I dont know where you guys cut wood, but that never seems to happen in VT! Oh yeah and i never seem to be able to back up a 4wheeler & wagon straight! I'm going to try a larger hand winch on my next model to make pulling the logs up easier.

royalmaple
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
depending on the terrain you could disconnect from the wheeler, and back it up manually or take the winch and unroll it to the log and crank the empty arch to it, then reconnect the wheeler.

You've got a nice design, keep working on it and each time you make one you'll change a few things to improve on it. Nature of the beast.

Toby
01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
That's where the hand winch actually comes in handy. Once you get near the log you can use the winch to pull the log to the four wheeler or if the log is caught up you can pull the arch and 4 wheeler to the log. Just have to be careful not to run yourself over!