PDA

View Full Version : Anyone panicking yet?

ebliese
12-30-2022, 08:49 PM
So, now that Christmas is here....is anyone panicking yet? :lol:

Only two more months for myself before I usually tap.

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas!

220 maple
01-03-2023, 01:34 AM
Yes! I’m semi panic mode, two weeks until I hope too start tapping, if all goes well I will be almost done when you start. I would like to start early but it is way too warm here, back in the olden days my season started the first warm day after groundhogs day. Olden days was 25 years ago when I first start! Another 25 years of season compression and, well you guess what will happen?
Mark 220 Maple

darkmachine
01-03-2023, 05:11 PM
I'm fighting panic...spent the day cleaning tanks and getting the arch and pans all cleaned up. I won't have the tubing I need until Friday at the earliest, that means that i can still go ahead and install mainline wire. Even through it's been warm, i have my eye on a tree that got cut by the tractor bucket, not a drop so far.... We cut firewood yesterday and the trees were still frozen in the center so we have some time. I just try to keep my focus, and when it's time, i'll be ready, hopefully, lol

220 maple
01-05-2023, 05:09 AM
Darkmachine,
Your lucky to be in a cold area! I’ve had two days or more of 70 degree weather, do you use maple for firewood? Being your seeing freezing that deep! I don’t know about oaks or other species of trees, I know maple has a small heartwood therefore lots of sap moving wood, walnut only moves water in the sap ring, the black part is basically dead wood, maybe oaks are like maple?
Mark 220 Maple

darkmachine
01-05-2023, 07:19 PM
No idea on the water content, just saw ice crystals in the Oak we were working. I am certainly nervous, I may try to tap next week. I just picked up 1400 feet of mainline today, still have one order of fittings that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. MES sent the wrong size valves in the package, hopefully i can get those turned around and get the right ones. I can always put the valves in later. This weekend will be a big push to get my expansion built out. My tap density is low, but it will save me a ton of time to get off of buckets in that area. what is your tapping plan look like?

220 maple
01-06-2023, 06:16 AM
Darkmachine
Maybe next weekend if it appears the weather corrects itself some! Have not had a freezing night for over a week, trees are running due to sapsucker birds tapping! I have never ordered anything from the suppliers up north, I usually go to the stores in Somerset County Pa. or the CDL rep in WV delivers right to the camps. I heard he is delivering a RO Tuesday at the camp 3 miles from me.
Mark 220 Maple

GWebb
01-08-2023, 09:13 AM
South Central KY - Bagdad area: Tapped 24 trees 2 days ago and all the holes were dry, but much to my surprise I had 15 gal at the end of yesterday and sap still flowing about 1 gal/hr total, near dark. May finish the rest of trees today, but we still have some 50+ deg days in the works..........

GWebb
01-08-2023, 09:14 AM
That's North Central KY, not South.

canaanmaple
01-09-2023, 06:14 AM
Darkmachine
Maybe next weekend if it appears the weather corrects itself some! Have not had a freezing night for over a week, trees are running due to sapsucker birds tapping! I have never ordered anything from the suppliers up north, I usually go to the stores in Somerset County Pa. or the CDL rep in WV delivers right to the camps. I heard he is delivering a RO Tuesday at the camp 3 miles from me.
Mark 220 Maple

geez, I know its early, but this has been and is looking like maple season so far. below average november temps rarely above freezing, above average december, aside from late month, and so far Jan is above average temp. Extended outlook is hinting a change later in the month though! I just wonder what affect if any, this up and down spring like weather early winter does to the trees in regards to having them think its almost time to bud? Maybe there is research on that Tim?

upcoming 10-day looking crazy again. Last week we had a few days almost 60. Then some snow and nights in teens over the weekend.

https://chrome.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wv/davis/39.13,-79.47