PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2023

CanterburyMaple
12-29-2022, 02:32 PM
I know, it's not even 2023 yet, but thought I would kick it off as I started tapping today. Several things at play for me down in Southern Maine:

New Maple gear as Christmas present
Big thaw and rain over New Years
Warm January predictions
Need to wrap up sugaring by early/mid march for family reasons
General impatience

So this will be a bit of an experiment: We'll see if my tap holes will last me into early March!

Mvhomesteader
12-30-2022, 06:53 PM
Good luck! I look forward to what your experience is with an early season. I was discussing pros and cons of January tapping with my wife earlier today as it sure felt like March. In fact I think the warm weather made me curious if anyone was on Mapletrader.

I'm particularly curious as to your sugar content and how well the trees run versus how well they typically run in similar temperatures. I have a theory that the trees "know" it is January and hold back for spring----perhaps due to a lower sun angle? Love to follow your experience.

What did Santa bring you?

Swingpure
12-30-2022, 07:06 PM
Good luck! I look forward to what your experience is with an early season. I was discussing pros and cons of January tapping with my wife earlier today as it sure felt like March. In fact I think the warm weather made me curious if anyone was on Mapletrader.

I'm particularly curious as to your sugar content and how well the trees run versus how well they typically run in similar temperatures. I have a theory that the trees "know" it is January and hold back for spring----perhaps due to a lower sun angle? Love to follow your experience.

What did Santa bring you?

My sugar content in Northern Ontario today range from 2.5% to 3%.

Mvhomesteader
12-31-2022, 06:30 PM
My sugar content in Northern Ontario today range from 2.5% to 3%.

Are you tapping as well? I would have guessed you'd be frozen fairly tight.

CanterburyMaple
01-02-2023, 11:03 AM
I got 1,000 feet of 5/16" tubing, T's, check-valve spouts, and a 2-handed tubing tool for christmas and I had a blast this past weekend putting up 3 lines with 5-7 trees on each. Learned a lot :) Not much sap from those trees yet as they're smaller and in the shaded woods, but I did another 10 trees (in sunnier locations) on drops into buckets, and got about 7 gallons of sap all together, boiled for an hour on my 3-pan block evaporator (Modifications: 3 vs 2 pans last year, swapped cinder block chimney for pipe stack, built more of an arch in the back to push heat up to pans, ceramic blanket insulation inside...) and made a pint of syrup last night. Brix was 1.5% for me, which is similar to the 2021 season as I'm all reds and I'm expecting this past summer's drought is going to hurt sugar content. More sap in the buckets when I just went outside today, I'm guessing the Gorham temperatures today and tomorrow will give me another 5-10 gallons.

I'm interested to see how this turns out too, MV! A grand experiment for sure :) I've done some fall tapping in 2020 and 2021 on of a few trees so I can boil on Thanksgiving and Christmas as weather allows (usually inside on the stove), and I've been surprised that most of those trees were still giving sap into March. I'll tap the rest of the 40 trees around the neighborhood as more reliably warm weather peaks its head into the 14-day forecast.

Mvhomesteader
01-02-2023, 07:06 PM
Sounds like your having fun already, which is the ultimate goal (plus syrup of coarse). I experimented last season with some tubing, which went well, so I'll be using more this season. Saved time emptying buckets.

I was wondering if the drought would affect the sugar. I hoped the wet fall would compensate, which maybe it did for sap quantity, but sugar production was probably over. I'm pretty sure that Dr.Tim once mentioned that the current ssc was based on what the tree experienced several years previous. If so, it was probably one of the other summer droughts we've had!

In any case, I hope the weather is in your favor! Keep us posted!

Mvhomesteader
02-02-2023, 06:55 PM
February 2 again ---this year expecting a deep cold snap rather than a snow storm like last year.

I'm giving serious consideration to tapping next week, which is probably a week or so ahead of when usually tap. The temperatures look pretty favorable to an early run, and since my season usually ends the first week of April I likely won't loose anything to healing tap holes. I'll decide Monday when I can see the two week forecast. If it's high 30's or better I will go for it.

I haven't decided how many taps to do this year. I've still got 7 gallons left from last years' mega run, so technically I only need to tap enough to assure 7 gallons or so of new stock. I would probably be wise to overshoot.

Any one else thinking of tapping??

Mvhomesteader
02-07-2023, 07:06 PM
I've decided to tap this weekend (11th and 12th) in anticipation of the 5 day in the 40's run beginning Monday. Since I've got 6 gallons+ left from last season I'll tap fewer trees this year, probably in the low 30's which should give me 10 ish gallons. I often tap at this time, so I'm really only a few days earlier than usual. I've cleared away all the snow from the east/south/West sides of the trees so the sun can warm the trunk, if that makes a difference. It's something to do to get ready.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-08-2023, 06:10 AM
Good luck! We're holding out until last week of February. We won't be ready until then anyway- too many other hobbies sucking up time in February :lol: Let us know how you make out.

CanterburyMaple
02-08-2023, 11:46 AM
I'm hoping to finishing tapping this weekend (~40 trees around the neighborhood), and boil from what I collect from the 40 taps I have on my property. I collected about 80 gallons in January after tapping New Year's eve, brix around 2% (all reds, some pretty puny crowns in there too). Been fun to get equipment work and repair the RO (ok that wasn't fun, but necessary!). WE'll see how long those early tap holes last, but at least I've got 40 freshies! I tapped about this time last year as well, MV.

Mvhomesteader
02-08-2023, 06:38 PM
I've been wondering how your making out, Canterbury. Your experience with those early tapholes might influence my future tapping efforts. Keep us posted.

Nice you've got some new taps to augment. It would be interesting to see how the brix from the trees tapped in January compares right now with the brix from these newly tapped trees.

Mvhomesteader
02-09-2023, 06:54 PM
Good luck! We're holding out until last week of February. We won't be ready until then anyway- too many other hobbies sucking up time in February :lol: Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the encouragement! I placed a "test tap" yesterday and probably got a pint of sap today, so it is starting to run. Got everything ready to go for tomorrow weather dependent.

What other hobbies are keeping you occupied?

I've been spending the winter with my bandsaw mill making lumber for a new woodshed. I have an abundance of pine which I also use in the sap stove. The cants from the mill make great firewood pieces and kindling once worked up.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-09-2023, 08:07 PM
Fishing this week and snowmobiling up north next week. Looks like we might miss some sap next week. Oh well, that’s the way it goes. Glad we don’t have to rely on it for a living or I would be real stressed out right now!

West Sumner Sugar
02-10-2023, 07:41 AM
Looks like its time to get our drill on. Next week looks good and Id imagine it will stay that way. Actually pretty much right on schedule, maybe a tad early. We will start tapping Sunday and hopefully collect enough sap over the week to start cooking the following weekend.

Mvhomesteader
02-12-2023, 06:44 PM
I tapped 35 trees Friday by 3 and Saturday by 3 I collected 23 gallons. With another 18 gallons today I've got 42 in the snowbank. The ssc was 2 to 2.2 for the buckets as a whole which was slightly disappointing. I guess I was hoping for closer to 2.5, but what can you do. It is what it is. I tested individual trees that are usually 3 and they are again this season---apparently the volume of 2's outweighs the 3's.

What are the odds that the January warmth resulted in the best sugar levels found into the tree early? I swear I started out higher last year, but I'd have to go look at last years posts to confirm.

I'm going to try for 75 gallons per boil if possible. By varying circumstances I can't boil till the 24th or 25th, so I'll easily have that volume stashed in the snowbank. Nice thing about this time of the year it's easy to keep sap slightly frozen to prolong its viability. I couldn't do that in a month from now.

Mvhomesteader
02-12-2023, 06:54 PM
I checked last years thread. I started last season with around 2.07%, so it appears similar this year. He refractometer reads to the nearest 0.2 % so I'll get a more concrete number after my first boil. Perhaps I should invest in a digital version.

maineboiler
02-14-2023, 05:09 PM
My plan is to start tapping tomorrow. The forecast looks good for the weekend, but last year started like this and then had a freezeup at the end of February. We'll see how it goes. Good luck to all----------

Mvhomesteader
02-14-2023, 07:02 PM
Yes, good luck to all! Interesting that there was a freeze up at the end of February last year, and I see it looking the same after the 22nd. I watch an online meteorologist named Ryan Hall who gives a really detailed and accurate (as can be) forecast. Today he was discussing the colder than normal March weather related to some weird polar vortex patterns that are forming at the current time. No specific numbers yet, but perhaps colder than the 50 degree weather we got the past two seasons. Time will tell, but his forecasts are worth the watch.

So far, so good. I've collected 100 gallons in 4 days off 35 taps. Nice clear sap. Today was particularly good with a several trees releasing over a gallon per tap. I expect the same tomorrow and Thursday, as well as a few days next week. Luckily I've got a few big snowbanks because I expect 200 gallons in the snow by mid next week.

Mvhomesteader
02-16-2023, 07:14 PM
Today was quite a day----close to 50 gallons off the 35 taps. I suspect there will be more in the morning from late day runners. At this point I have 170 gallons stashed in the snow, some lightly frozen. Another 55 gallons will be 3 boils worth starting next weekend. With even a few days of sap weather this Sunday and next week I'm sure I can gather that amount. The question will be will the remaining 20 five gallon buckets I have be enough till boiling day?

How's everyone else making out?

West Sumner Sugar
02-16-2023, 09:05 PM
I am sitting on 300 gallons off 113 taps down in Lewiston right now. Should be a tad more by morning. Missed today due to a dead battery for my Shurflo but its running now. All nice clear sap averaging 2.25%.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-20-2023, 08:11 AM
We will collect and boil tonight before the extended freeze. Should have enough to sweeten the pans. All tapped in and checked vac leaks on one woods, still one to do some work on.

Mvhomesteader
02-21-2023, 08:22 PM
Sounds like everyone is getting ready. My family took a ride to Bethel Monday and noted several people installing tapping apparatus. Also noted a small sugsrhouse on the Prescott Road locally boiling today. Ah, the joy.

Today was another great run with 45 gallons off the 35 taps. My snowbank now has 240 gallons stashed, and I'm sure I'll get another 15 to 20 tomorrow before the freeze. My plan is to bring 75 gallons into the house to keep it from freezing too much so I can boil this weekend. Then its every other day boiling till I get caught up. The rest of the sap is buried over the cover and covered with quilts. Hopefully this will keep the deep freeze out of the bucket.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-22-2023, 06:40 AM
200 gallons boiled off Monday for us. Might have another 150 or so to do today before the freeze. Sap running but not hard yet, barely going in our cold woods. Looks like a bunch more snow coming for the woods in the next week or so. Should set up for a good March/normal sugar season. We'll get a draw off tonight and make our first syrup of 2023.

craigwade2005
02-22-2023, 09:11 AM
Hows the new RO going Mainebackswoodssyrup? Get a chance to test it out yet?

maineboiler
02-22-2023, 11:57 AM
Big run yesterday with a haul of 130 gallons. I’ve put about 2/3’d of my usual taps. Brix 3%. 2 boils so far and a draw off today. Good start to the season although it’s going to freeze up soon

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-22-2023, 12:30 PM
Hows the new RO going Mainebackswoodssyrup? Get a chance to test it out yet?

It's looking good in my basement but not hooked up. We don't have enough room for everything in our current shack set up. Jamie started the gravel work last fall and the plan is to have the concrete slab done this year and the wood sawed out this year. We have some free trees which should help expedite the building. I suspect 2025 before we have a shelter up but we are looking at 32x32 so it will be nice when done. We have all the stainless tanks we need (5 in all), the RO, releaser, vacuum pump, etc.ready to rock and roll once we can get the building done. We'll make some syrup then!

How you guys doing? Tapped in Byron? Sap is running pretty good here right now.

craigwade2005
02-22-2023, 02:25 PM
It's looking good in my basement but not hooked up. We don't have enough room for everything in our current shack set up. Jamie started the gravel work last fall and the plan is to have the concrete slab done this year and the wood sawed out this year. We have some free trees which should help expedite the building. I suspect 2025 before we have a shelter up but we are looking at 32x32 so it will be nice when done. We have all the stainless tanks we need (5 in all), the RO, releaser, vacuum pump, etc.ready to rock and roll once we can get the building done. We'll make some syrup then!

How you guys doing? Tapped in Byron? Sap is running pretty good here right now.

Were so far behind I can't even begin to catch up. Finally got the lines and stuff down here (Freeport) up and ready to run after the freeze. I'm putting the finishing touches on my 4x40 RO that I built for this season. I could have tapped here 2 weeks ago but the shack and evaporator weren't even close to ready.

Hoping once everything starts to flow down here I can get up to Byron and get the lines run to the new mainline. I bought out a guy that was getting out of maple and he had a mountain maple controller and bypass valve so I may try and put that on solar powered vacuum next year. Thankfully that hill runs significantly later than the rest of the civilized world so we have time.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-22-2023, 06:58 PM
That’s good on the Byron front at least, it certainly came quick this year. Earliest we have ever boiled. Collected 230 gallons today, more than I expected. Light side of Amber. Hopefully the weather holds and we have a good March! Nice sap flows on the past couple 35-37 degree days.

Mvhomesteader
02-25-2023, 06:15 PM
First boil of the season today netted almost 1.5 gallons off 70 boiled. I should have planned better and done 75 which would have got the full 1.5 gallons rather than being a cup short. That all translates to a ssc of 2.05%, lower than I would like but it is what it is. At least now I've freed up 70 gallons for storage, being down to my last 5 gallon container.

Cleaning tomorrow and back on Monday. Since it looks cold for awhile I've got some time to catch up on the boiling.

Mvhomesteader
02-27-2023, 06:43 PM
Second boil was a success today netting over a gallon and a half from 75 gallons of sap for a sugar of 2.21%, up from the first round. Made the days effort worthwhile.

I'm planning on #3 for Wednesday since it looks like a nice day. I've moved 75 gallons of lightly frozen sap buckets into the garage from the snowbank to make getting to them easier on boiling day. Boiling Wednesday will leave one boil left of 50ish gallons to catch up before any new runs. The weather looks cool through next week so I'm not expecting any flow for a bit. By that time it will be approaching mid March so hopefully something will cut loose.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-27-2023, 07:51 PM
Looks like another couple days of sap run coming middle to end of this week before it gets cold again. Usually our first boil is 2nd week of March and we made syrup last week. With snow continuing to pile up this week, I like the looks of March!

West Sumner Sugar
02-28-2023, 06:25 AM
Things got off to a heck of a fast start but appear to be throttling back. Doesn't look like a good thaw for 10 days or so. So far we have boiled off 750 gallons, 5 gallons of syrup made to date. Sumner sap tanks in the woods are frozen solid. Deeper snowpack should extend the season but it looks like we will have some time off to get things back in order. Got our Lewiston tanks cleaned yesterday, RO rinsed & soaped. So we are ready when the sweet stuff starts to flow again.

Mvhomesteader
03-01-2023, 07:12 PM
The third boil was the charm with the sugar content at 2.47%. I boiled 74 gallons down to 1.75 gallons plus. I'm left with 50 gallons in the snowbank.

The sap started to flow slightly later this afternoon. Looking at the upcoming weather I'm encouraged about the temperature and sunshine next week. A lot of high 30's, low 40's with 20's at night. Perhaps things will thaw out a bit and get the ball rolling again. I think I'll take a break from boiling, clean my pans, and wait till I get another 25 gallons to add to my waiting 50.

West Sumner----how do you thaw out frozen sap tanks? Just let them thaw on their own?

West Sumner Sugar
03-02-2023, 08:28 AM
West Sumner----how do you thaw out frozen sap tanks? Just let them thaw on their own?

Yup. Its kind of a pain because we cannot pull sap from the bottom valve we have to pull from the top. But...if we get a huge warm up, the ice in the tanks preserves the sap. So it has its ups and downs.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Pretty slow to thaw out yesterday, didn't get much sap at all. Might crack a little more tomorrow but not sure it will be enough to boil. We might have some frozen sap in the tanks as well. That March sun is strong but historically this snow adding up in the woods is just what we need for a good March syrup season.

Mvhomesteader
03-03-2023, 06:28 PM
I ended up collecting 24 gallons of sap today, some from the recent minor runs and some (ice chunks) from before the last freeze. It seems like the trees in the open were running fairly well later this afternoon but the trees in the woods are still too cold. Sunday thru late next week looks decent temperature wise so we'll see what happens.

maineboiler
03-04-2023, 09:01 AM
Nothing much happening in Oxford. Next week should be good

maineboiler
03-06-2023, 06:00 AM
Good day yesterday, the sugars opened up. The reds will take a little longer. 220 gallons of sap, the brix was a surprisingly low 2%. Looking forward to a busy week

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-06-2023, 06:10 AM
Didn't quite open up here in Peru yesterday. Just got going before the wind came and trickled in most of the afternoon. Spent some time chasing leaks, vacuum back up where it should be. Looks like a decent week if it will just crack open. Over 2' of snow in the woods, still snowed in around tree bases. Had quite a bit of shoveling to do to get to our tanks after all the snow last week. I'm getting impatient, I want sap and I want to boil!!

Mvhomesteader
03-06-2023, 06:48 PM
Over 2' of snow in the woods, still snowed in around tree bases. Had quite a bit of shoveling to do to get to our tanks after all the snow last week. I'm getting impatient, I want sap and I want to boil!!

I feel for you mainebackwoodssyrup. Your location more west and probably higher elevation than where I am must make a difference with sap flow and temperatures. Hopefully things will open up for you soon.

I was surprised today to gather 42 gallons, having to collect this morning from a few full buckets yesterday late and then again this afternoon. I'm boiling Wednesday to keep up with the flow, now having 135 gallons in the humongous snowbank from my metal roof. Though temperatures are predicted to be just shy of 40, I expect 15 to 25 gallons per day.

My daughter who lives in town Portland has taken up syrup production again this year after a short hiatus. Where she lived in Westbrook she could tap a neighbor's silver maple. In her new location there isn't a tree to readily tap, so she's using Dad's sap and making her own syrup. One boil done to date and another donation arriving this weekend!

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-07-2023, 05:34 AM
That's a good story about your daughter MV, good for her. I imagine she will attract some attention and curious neighbors.
Sap ran decent on vacuum lines even with the wind yesterday. Should have a good boil Thursday. Weather looks good, sap season is here with a nice slow and steady start for a change.

craigwade2005
03-07-2023, 07:12 AM
That's a good story about your daughter MV, good for her. I imagine she will attract some attention and curious neighbors.
Sap ran decent on vacuum lines even with the wind yesterday. Should have a good boil Thursday. Weather looks good, sap season is here with a nice slow and steady start for a change.

Glad to hear it's starting to open up for you. We're headed up to Byron on Friday to finish up the tubing system and tap. Should be a good workout with a 45 degree slope and 3' of snow.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-07-2023, 08:57 AM
Good luck Craig, it will be 3’ of snow for sure. Maybe more on a north facing slope :lol: Jamie is still recovering from a tumble last Sunday. Upsides down in snowshoes is a good time!

Pdiamond
03-07-2023, 08:07 PM
be really careful on those hills with that snow and maybe some ice under it.

Road's End
03-07-2023, 08:41 PM
All tapped in Canton, a good workout breaking trail in over a foot of fresh snow. Glad I got new snowshoes this year! Looking like it will be a good week. New to us 2x8 H2O evaporator to fire up soon!

maineboiler
03-08-2023, 07:52 AM
It’s on. Buckets with droplines were overflowing yesterday. Collected 115 gallons of sap (3%) and boiled for 4 hours+. Busy week ahead

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-09-2023, 04:44 PM
330 gallons collected today at 1.9%, boiling. 20% crop after tonight and before we made any syrup last year. I like it, forecast couldn’t be better.

Mvhomesteader
03-09-2023, 06:35 PM
I like it, forecast couldn’t be better.

Sounds like things are perking up! I couldn't agree more. Though I'm tapping fewer trees this season, what I've tapped is keeping me hopping during collection time each day since it's all by hand. On the warmer days I'm getting 30 to 35 gallons off now 42 taps. I started with 35 but added 7 recently. A little less today but that's fine. I'm sure this weekend will be quite good.

I did my fourth boil Wednesday and got just under 1.75 gallons from 75 gallons of sap for a 2.21% sugar content. I tested a few buckets in the snowbank and got between 2.2% and 2.5% so I'm optimistic about boil #5 for this weekend. So the season-to-date total stands at 6.5 gallons of syrup. I NEEDED 8+ to not run out before next year, but I can see I'll be beyond that in the end.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-13-2023, 06:27 PM
Boiled 240 gallons yesterday and bottled 12 gallons or so from previous runs. Nice amber at 55 on the Hanna meter. Have more syrup in the finisher and sap still coming out in the woods. New syrup pan boils good, it’s nice having 2 pans so 1 is always clean and ready to go. Pumps are staying on tonight, funny things happen with big low pressure systems. Will boil again after the storm.

Mvhomesteader
03-14-2023, 02:57 PM
Pumps are staying on tonight, funny things happen with big low pressure systems. Will boil again after the storm.

Interesting.....I'm not familiar, so fill me in on what can happen. I thought I'd have the day off from maple today, but NO, many of my buckets were full. I had planned on leaving them partially full as ballast during the storm, and empty them Wednesday. I was surprised to see them full. Is that part of the "funny things" you're referencing?

Boils #5 and #6 were successful Saturday and Monday netting over 1.75 gallons each, placing my running total at 10.25 gallons. The ssc was 2.4+ for each boil. Boil#7 is in the snowbank and ice got another 40 toward #8. March is quite different this season compared to past years with cooler temperatures and no rain. This has allowed my storage snowbank to stay deep and full. I guess you could say it's a reliable bank.

Continued good luck with everyone's mud to late season!

maineboiler
03-14-2023, 05:08 PM
Sap still going strong up unto yesterday. Looking like a banner year. Bottled 11 gallons of Amber Rich and should finish and bottle at least 10 more in the next few days. This Nor’easter should shut things down for awhile, which is OK I could use a break

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Interesting.....I'm not familiar, so fill me in on what can happen. I thought I'd have the day off from maple today, but NO, many of my buckets were full. I had planned on leaving them partially full as ballast during the storm, and empty them Wednesday. I was surprised to see them full. Is that part of the "funny things" you're referencing?

Yes MV, precisely. I don’t know the science behind but I believe barometric pressure with these big low pressure systems plays a role. We pulled all night and still are right now at 33-35 degrees About done but at 3 PM it was ripping. Vacuum also increases a little on our Shurflo set ups. Someone on here can probably explain it, but it has been an observation we’ve made in the past. We will be boiling again Thursday.

BRL
03-15-2023, 09:34 AM
Got started late this year and missed that first week of warm weather. Saps flowing pretty good have about 11-12 gallons to run through the press and bottle. Trying to figure out why my new RO isn't working so that's frustrating. Here's a little video from our last boil.
https://youtube.com/shorts/g9tBi3EQrx0?feature=share

Mvhomesteader
03-15-2023, 06:43 PM
Thanks mainebackwoodssyrup! You must be right in your observations because I collected another 38 gallons today off the 42 taps. Now I've got two boils on ice, so to speak. Looking like Saturday and Monday for those two. If I keep at this rate of 35 to 40 gallons a day, for me that's a boil equivalent every other day. Looking at next weeks weather, wow! Does it look like a sap flow. I'm relatively new at syruping, but I can't remember a March with so many 40/20 days/nights. My weather shows such a pattern thru the 29th which is the last day I can see. Holy moly that's going to be a lot of sap. If it works out as currently flowing, that's 490 gallons of sap. Even at 2% that's another 9.8 gallons of syrup. In some way I hope I'm overestimating, as I'm not sure I have enough energy to get that done!

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-15-2023, 07:19 PM
Same here, ran hard this afternoon. We’ll be over 325 gallons to boil tomorrow. Nice to have a more traditional season for a change. 6-8 week seasons with steady flows used to be the norm. The last 2-3 years have been wacky, this year restores some hope. Certainly looks like great sugaring weather. It would be quite something to get through March without hitting 50 degrees. We won’t quit until the trees do, still liking the long term outlook!!

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-16-2023, 03:14 PM
Well I was wrong, more like 440 gallons to boil today. Running hard again today……

maineboiler
03-18-2023, 03:02 PM
Nice set up!BRL

Mvhomesteader
03-18-2023, 06:42 PM
The odyssey continues! Boil #7 was just under 1.75 gallons from 75 for a ssc of 2.21%. With my yearly total just shy of 12 gallons, and with what was left over from last year, I've met my goal to stay in syrup for another year. Now it's all gravy, so to speak. What I put up from now on is that much less I'll need to do next season.

The collection of sap continues with another 35 gallons coming in today. I expect nothing tomorrow as it will be too cold, but that cold will recharge the trees for Monday and beyond. I expect quite a week. I've got two more boils on ice (150 gallons) one monday and probably Wednesday to keep up.

maineboiler
03-19-2023, 01:19 PM
Well done. Next week should be busy, at least to Thursday

BRL
03-20-2023, 06:34 AM
Nice set up!BRL

Thanks Maineboiler! Sap ran pretty good over the weekend. Finally figured out what was wrong with my RO I built. I wish I build this years ago! Maidan voyage yesterday only running 1 post right now.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8nW_GJW9KPI

Mvhomesteader
03-20-2023, 06:36 PM
I've got a question.

I noted today that several generally good performing trees were near dry in the bucket. They were not that way two days ago (Saturday). Yesterday was cold and nothing really ran well.

I tapped February 11ish, so am I seeing tap holes starting to heal over? The flow has been clear a strong till today. If so, I assume there is nothing I can readily do to revive that tap. I was hoping all would last till April 1. I can't complain as I've done well this year from an early start, but I'm just curious what I'm seeing. In the past my taps tend to peter out at the same time in early April, but I'm a week earlier this year.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-20-2023, 06:43 PM
Just due to the prolonged freeze from Sunday and teen temps we had last night. Sap didn’t start running good here until around 3 PM. Gonna dump tomorrow and Wednesday!

maineboiler
03-21-2023, 09:56 AM
Hang in there, I think you will see a rebound it the next couple of days. Your tap should still be good——-

West Sumner Sugar
03-21-2023, 09:58 AM
Same here yesterday...very little sap, even on vacuum. But today the faucet it on!

Mvhomesteader
03-21-2023, 10:00 AM
Thanks maineboiler and mainebackwoossyrup and west Sumner. I'm sure your right. I'll check later this afternoon. It is a warmer day for sure. I've got boil #8 in the works today!

Mvhomesteader
03-21-2023, 12:09 PM
Update: I believe the trees in question have closed up shop for the season. I've checked twice today and there is no flow at all. In contrast there are other nearby trees running well. In total I see 6 trees, and these are generally real good ones, that have called it quits. 4 out of 7 in a southeastern tree line and 2 more also in direct sun just behind my sap stove. Ah well, so be it. I added taps several weeks ago that are still producing, though not the same ssc, so I guess I'm not out too much.

Still collecting toward boil #10. Nine is on for Friday.

Mvhomesteader
03-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Boil #8 kept pace with previous outings yielding a cup short of 1.75 gallons from 75 gallons of sap for a steady 2.25% sugar. Friday or Saturday are my next dates for boil#9.

The trees gave out 40+gallons today, even with the 6 holdout trees. As long as that keeps up I'll keep stacking toward future boils. This is a great time of the year for sap to run as there are limited things to do outside. If sap season started a couple of weeks from now I'd have some serious time conflicts.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-21-2023, 07:48 PM
Ran pretty good today as expected. Had a shurflo filter plugged with gunk on one pump. Worst I’ve ever seen, had no vacuum but put a new filter and back up. Had just replaced it late yesterday. Should have 250 gallons, maybe more to boil tomorrow.

MV- odd on the dried up taps but maybe the combo of buckets and sun got the bacteria going and closed them up. No other good explanation….

Mvhomesteader
03-22-2023, 06:42 PM
MV- odd on the dried up taps but maybe the combo of buckets and sun got the bacteria going and closed them up. No other good explanation….

Thanks! You could be right, though my buckets are on the ground connected to the spile by 3' of tubing. The southern exposure could promote bacterial growth, assuming I introduced something to the tree when it was put in. I try to keep things "neat" between taps, but since I don't sterilize the drill bit each use I surely introduce something to the tree. I do boil my spiles. The odd thing is that in a line of 8 trees, 4 dried up, and not all in a row. More like one good, two dry, two good, one dry, one good, one dry. Can bacteria climb tubing? That would seem equivalent to me walking 40 miles. Kind of a mystery, though I'll try harder next year with cleanliness. Maybe an alcohol dip with the drill bit between taps.

Perhaps with the warm January this year the trees have taken up what they need and are just done earlier than "normal". Just a thought. It's probably more scientific than that. I don't really know. My thirty five other trees have a different opinion so that is probably not the case.

I thought about re-drilling the hole (never tried that) but it's really not worth any further tree damage. At this point in the season I'm still getting sap at 25 to 35 gpd so I won't miss the trees. With the ssc dropping and buds swelling (at least it looks like some are) I can see, for me, the season end in a week or so, usually when I think about packing up. I've got two boils worth on ice and working on a third. Beyond that it's up in the air.

Continued success to all!

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-22-2023, 07:15 PM
Boiling off 330 gallons collected today. Had to leave one of the totes, will try to boil it Friday afternoon. Not even sure how much more there was but I am guessing north of 100 gallons in that tote. Sap running hard today. Should pull for a while on vacuum lines with a light freeze. Should have more sap for the weekend. 2/3 crop or a little more after tonight.

Mvhomesteader
03-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Boil #9 went off without a hitch netting a few cups more than 1.5 gallons from 77 gallons of sap for a ssc of 2.15%, dropping slightly from #8. I can see the downward trend as the sap is getting less clear. I swear I can catch an occassional scent of buddiness while boiling, though in the end the flavor is good. The syrup is getting darker as well.

The next couple of days look poor for sap runs, but Monday and Tuesday look good. As it stands I have one more boil ready for the first of the week, but nothing beyond that. I'll see how things go in the early week to decide if the odds of collecting for #11 look favorable. While boiling today I washed 30 buckets that I won't need anymore this season , so the pick-up has begun.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-24-2023, 09:22 PM
Collected another 265 gallons. Will make for a good boil tomorrow for our visitors. Changed to Maine Maple Saturday for us due to the weather. Mostly just friends and family anyway but should be a few others stopping by. Still looks like syrup season for another week or better. Filled the oil tank today. Happy boiling!

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-25-2023, 09:27 PM
Busy day at the shack. Boiled sap, bottled syrup and entertained a few people throughout the day. Bottled our 3rd batch of Amber at LT 57 on the Hanna Meter. 37 gallons of syrup and all Amber so far. We need to make some dark soon or we’ll be out! Sugar went up slightly but still a little lower than average for us. 1.8% today.

maineboiler
03-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Had friends and family over for our Maine Maple Sunday, nice weather around noon and then a little chilly. Surprisingly slow run of sap yesterday and so far today. Should pick up later this week?

maineboiler
03-27-2023, 12:35 PM
Had friends and family over for our Maine Maple Sunday, nice weather around noon and then a little chilly. Surprisingly slow run of sap yesterday and so far today. Should pick up later this week?

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-27-2023, 02:01 PM
Ran pretty hard for us yesterday and last night on vacuum lines. My buddy was getting out of work early today to try and start catching up. Probably will be boiling today and tomorrow. Looks like some more freezes thru this week. Next week is traditionally the end for us but it has been a cooler year so far. The rain this coming weekend should keep the woods floor saturated. If we keep getting freezes, the sap will keep running. Looks more like mid-season in the woods right now than it does the end. But, not much frost this year and already out on most of the gravel roads.

Mvhomesteader
03-27-2023, 03:15 PM

Working on the 10th boil right now. I've been taking some taps down this afternoon as they haven't shown any activity for several days while some others have been decent. I'm trying to get at least 50 gallons for one last boil on Sunday--40 so far. With probably 25 taps left I should be able to do that and better. I can see the season naturally shutting down here gradually. Either way this weekend will be time to wrap up. Glad to see everyone having a successful season.

Mvhomesteader
03-27-2023, 06:58 PM
Tenth boil ended up with a pint more than 1.5 gallons for a sugar of 2.14%. My running syrup total is slightly more than 16.5 gallons. I got a bunch of buckets washed for storage so I don't have to do it all at the end. Looking forward to the grand finale on Sunday! Hopefully I can pull together another 35 gallons of sap which should give me an even 18 gallons of syrup for the season.

craigwade2005
03-30-2023, 01:29 PM
Starting to think after tomorrow my taps in Freeport may be done. Never really got a great run down here this season, however I did miss the early Feb run that probably would have helped that.

Waiting on the other taps up north to finally open up and get flowing. At the rate this stuff is flying off the shelf this season I am starting to think I'm going to have to buy syrup just so I can have waffles after the season.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-30-2023, 02:01 PM
Starting to think after tomorrow my taps in Freeport may be done. Never really got a great run down here this season, however I did miss the early Feb run that probably would have helped that.

Waiting on the other taps up north to finally open up and get flowing. At the rate this stuff is flying off the shelf this season I am starting to think I'm going to have to buy syrup just so I can have waffles after the season.

Next week looks like it might be marginal freezes for us at night so probably good sugaring weather for Byron. The first week of April is traditionally our last week but we'll keep plugging along as long as we get freezing nights. Boiling yesterday's run tomorrow and I expect to see sap run good this weekend coming out of this freeze up. Just turned over to dark, albeit a light dark.

Mvhomesteader
03-30-2023, 06:46 PM
5c
Im Waiting on the other taps up north to finally open up and get flowing. At the rate this stuff is flying off the shelf this season I am starting to think I'm going to have to buy syrup just so I can have waffles after the season.

I'm having all I can do to get 60 gallons for Sunday's finale. More trees are drying up every few days. It's tomorrow or bust, probably, with the rain Saturday.

Craig-you might be right about the February run. I decided to tap a week or so early (10th) and had 270 gallons in storage before I could boil 2/24. I've collected near 870 this season, so 270 is near 30% of the yearly total. It was a crap shoot to tap when I did (you never know what the season may be like that early) and perhaps my trees are partially drying up now because that was 6 weeks or more ago. My trees generally start to dry up now anyway, as my last boils are usually by 4/5, so its probably a multi fold affect.

Mvhomesteader
03-31-2023, 06:43 PM
I decided this morning to do the 11th boil today rather than Sunday as the wind is supposed to be quite gusty. After running around empty what buckets were left I was able to scrounge 8 gallons of sap for a finale boil of 66 gallons. This netted 1.25 gallons of syrup for a ssc of 2+%.

All the taps have been pulled and the buckets washed. Sunday I'll put it all away in a reasonably organized fashion for next year.

In total, I boiled 817 gallons and made 18.25 gallons of syrup for an average ssc of 2.23%. Since I gave 36 gallons of sap to my daughter so she could make some syrup the trees actually produced (and I hauled) 853 gallons. She made around 3/4 gallons of syrup. I started with 35 taps and added 7 mid season, so some taps were here all season and some for half. So let's say I had 39 full season equivalent taps. That would mean each tap produced 0.48 gallons of syrup. I have never had such a good return. I'm used to maybe a quart and a half if lucky, and some years even less.

What was so productive about this season? I love to theorize so I'm going to say it was more 40ish degree days and cool nights in March, combined with a two week run in February. No 50 degree days in March. I can't think of another explanation.

So that's it for me. I think the only maple project for the off season is rebuilding one brick wall in my arch that is falling apart. Of course I've got to refill the woodshed but the wood is at least cut.

Good luck to everyone left in th he game and see you next season.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-31-2023, 07:26 PM
Boiling off 275 gallons. Sap was running hard when we collected this afternoon, snowing out right now. Will probably do another boil Sunday. Looks like a freeze Sunday night which should make for a good run early next week. Pretty questionable after that. Probably finish out the pans and be done next week unless the forecast changes. Sap quality has stayed good all year thanks to snow in the woods. Sugar content down to 1.4 though.

West Sumner Sugar
04-01-2023, 06:44 AM
The end appears to be near for us as well. Gathered the last load of sap this morning in Lewiston. 125 gallons for the week on 100% tight vacuum. Heading up to the sugarhouse now to gather and boil off what is up there. Hopefully another week up there for us. We are at about 65% of last years crop. Really hate to come in under but thats how sugaring goes. Big plans/ideas for the upcoming seasons. Just need to put together the time to get it all in.

Mvhomesteader
04-01-2023, 06:37 PM
We are at about 65% of last years crop. Really hate to come in under but thats how sugaring goes. Big plans/ideas for the upcoming seasons. Just need to put together the time to get it all in.

Was last season a banner year or a normal year? Just curious how the 65% fits into your normally expected volume.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-02-2023, 01:34 PM
Another 275 gallons today which is from Friday at 4 PM thru last night. Not really slowing down yet. Good freeze tonight and some marginal temps at night thru the week until next weekend. But I expect to make it another week. We beat last years’ sap total, 3340 so far but sugar content is lower. Still, just met our goal of 50 gallons before todays boil. I expect we will push 60 gallons, which will be our best year yet. 55 gallons last year.

craigwade2005
04-03-2023, 06:22 AM
Ran off just over another 7 gallons of Syrup this weekend.
Ran the last of the sap from Freeport and man was that painful. Just over 3 gallons plugged my filter press up tight. Couldn't even get warm water through it to flush it out. Early season syrup it's usually good for 8 or so gallons.
Cleaned the pans, boiled off what was left in them and started fresh with concentrate from Byron. Looks like the efforts paid off with some nice dark amber to start the new run up there.
Hoping for another 2, maybe 3 weeks to finish out our season up there. It's like a whole other world up on the hill. Still 12-18" of snow and cold.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-03-2023, 07:12 AM
Looks like the efforts paid off with some nice dark amber to start the new run

Must be nice Craig, we can't seem to make dark syrup this year and we need some!!! Yesterdays batch was LT 52 but called it dark due to the flavor. Really could have gone either way. Hopefully make some more robust dark this week to finish out, but that's what I said last week :lol:

maineboiler
04-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Started pulling taps yesterday. I plan to do a last boil today an and run the sweet. Good season——over 2,000 gallons of sap which is as good as I’ve seen. Should end up with close to 40 gallons of syrup. Now the clean up…….

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Dumping today, check your tanks if you’re still in it. 400 gallons since it started going yesterday afternoon and still piling up.

West Sumner Sugar
04-05-2023, 06:24 AM
Was last season a banner year or a normal year? Just curious how the 65% fits into your normally expected volume.

Last year was a good one for us. Biggest to date, we did 85.5 gallons of syrup. This year proved that syrup is truly made in the woods. Lots of issues out there which made for a disappointing year. Not being able to be at the sugarhouse during the week is a struggle for us. We are planning some adjustments for next year to change that. I have 113 taps here in Lewiston that outperformed 400 in Sumner by almost double. That's the difference between perfect vacuum and not perfect vacuum. Either way, chalk it up as a learning experience and move forward.

Luckily we did have enough syrup made to fill a 10 gallon bourbon barrel so we can fill the demand there.

Good luck to those still pulling sap!

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-05-2023, 02:01 PM
Looking at the forecast, we are going to keep going thru Monday until it dries up. With 60 degree temps, we will be finishing out the pans with the last boil. We’ll make it to 60 gallons today and if we get 3 good days Friday thru Sunday, we may push 70 gallons. We will see what the weekend brings.

eagle lake sugar
04-06-2023, 06:08 PM
I'm still waiting to really get started in Eagle Lake. We had a few days of trickles, but they really haven't started running yet. There's still 3' of snow hard packed against the trees with no tunneling yet and the clock is ticking! It looks good here from Sunday on.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Good to hear from you up in Eagle Lake! Keep us posted how it goes. I’m afraid the mountains around here may take it hard next week. I hope it stays cool enough up there for you to have a good season!!

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Collected and am boiling another 345 gallons. Unreal week. The weekend looks really good as well. We’ll pull sap thru Monday and call it quits.

Mvhomesteader
04-07-2023, 06:46 PM
Collected and am boiling another 345 gallons. Unreal week. The weekend looks really good as well. We’ll pull sap thru Monday and call it quits.

Just checking to see who's left in the game.....congratulations mainebackwoossyrup. You're really having quite a season! Have you ever gone this far into April before?

And Eagle Lake-I hope you can get a season started. I bet those trees will unleash like crazy mid next week during the warm spell.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-07-2023, 07:33 PM
Just checking to see who's left in the game.....congratulations mainebackwoossyrup. You're really having quite a season! Have you ever gone this far into April before?.

Yes, definitely new records for us. Really couldn’t have asked for a better season. Only 2–3 days where it hit 50 in March. Been a long time since we had these cooler temps for a whole month. 1st week of April is typically our last boil. April 5th past 2 years so this year will be a little longer. Best sap quality in a long time, snow storms in March are a muddy mess but helped immensely. And I do believe in zap bac spouts. Runs have not dropped off at all. The weather helps but the bush with the 2nd season zap bacs is still our best producer.

craigwade2005
04-08-2023, 06:26 AM
Made another 4 gallons of syrup this past Thursday. Was right on the line of another draw off but had to shut down. Looking forward to hopefully another 3-5 gallons on Monday before crossing our fingers to see what next week does.
On a less exciting note my bourbon barrel showed up with the extra bung driven through the side by UPS so I guess that process will have to be delayed. Southeast Barrel was great about it and is shipping a new one out Monday.

maineboiler
04-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Way to hang in there Craig. This will be a record season for me, I could have collected more but I had enough. I’ve barrel aged my syrup as well, it can be a struggle to get high quality barrels.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-11-2023, 08:45 AM
420 gallons for this last run, boiling right now. Sugar content down to 1.3% and sap is getting cloudy but tasted and smelled fine. We’re all done. Should make some nice dark syrup. Got my limit on smelts last night so on to that :cool:

We’ll start pulling taps and let the pans soak. We will push 70 gallons, best year for us. Vacuum held good all year after initial leak checks. What a difference, good luck to those still going in the north!

CanterburyMaple
04-17-2023, 07:04 AM
I’ll give an outdated update on my season. I tapped 40 trees around new years, all reds and drops into buckets. I’d say really it was like 25 taps as 15 didn’t do much (small crowns in the woods). I collected over 250 gallons and made 5 gallons of syrup, so coming in just under 2.0 Brix. My tap holes made it to March 20th or so. Collected about 80 gallons in each of jan/feb/march. A nice experiment for me given the warm January and I had to be cleaned up by march 26th. Glad to hear most had good seasons!

Mvhomesteader
04-17-2023, 06:37 PM
I’ll give an outdated update on my season.

I was wondering where you went! Glad to hear your modified season was successful. Do you think you will tap in January next year? Or was this a one time thing? Have a good summer and see you next winter.

CanterburyMaple
04-19-2023, 06:44 AM
I don’t think I’ll tap that many trees that early again. It was really a confluence of many factors that lined it up for me.But it was good to start early and have my RO break and be able to order parts and repair in time for later big runs :) I love mapling, but having a 6-7 weeks season vs the 11 week season (on and off) I had this year is a better fit for me and my young family now.