PDA

View Full Version : Grimm Lightning Evaporator w/ Small Brothers USA Flue Plan and Preheater

FarmallCT
12-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Good morning,

I am looking at expanding my operation and have come across a 2x6 evaporator setup. It looks to be a Grimm Arch with a Small Brothers flue pan and preheater. The syrup pan is an older Leader, looks to be 2002.

My biggest question is, when were these evaporators last produced? Overall it looks to be in good shape and well cared for, though from what I have found the last it could have been produced was the late 1990's. I know this was right about when lead solder started to be phased out.

The advertised price according to the ad $5,000 firm, and includes some additional pieces such as the roof jack/cap, cone filter setup, and thermometers. It seems like a decent price if the pans are all in decent shape and lead free, though I have my doubts on that given the time frame.

Does anyone have a better idea of when this setup was last produced, and if the price seems reasonable given the age? I know there are test kits I can pickup to check the solder, though I assume if it is lead it probably shouldn't be used.

Thank you,

Matt

Brian
12-27-2022, 04:38 AM
I would buy welded pans, That way you know it is lead free!!