PDA

View Full Version : G.H Grimm Evaporator Questions

ccmx1066
10-05-2022, 07:49 AM
Going to be picking up this setup soon and I am wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about it. My biggest concern would be if the pans are lead soldered or not. At the very least I can refurbish the arch and use the stovepipe even if I can't use the pans!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/149yQc__6SM5M3jFnRcyRsYcENHMSmYT-/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fb30MXgkuroMY9hREuumTkGglobi7Gd4/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YbOW-S1e7NjcsU0QVemx9m0ns3lzZgNf/view?usp=sharing

maple flats
10-05-2022, 08:21 AM
Just going by the looks of it, the pans are very likely lead soldered. You can find a lead test kit at most hardware stores, or likely online to verify. The arch can certainly be used, I did that for many years, new pans on an older Grimm Arch. Just be sure to measure for the pans. I made the mistake of believing the tags on the Leader pans that came with my arch, (they were new in 2001, soldered but no lead). The tags said 3x2 and 3x6 for a total length of 8', so I ordered a 3x5 flue pan and a 3x3 syrup pan. When I got the pans (from Thor) they wouldn't fit, they were 2" too long together. I ended up having to make a new stack base and replace the cast iron one that supported the smoke stack. It worked fine, but since I had sold the original pans I couldn't get the measurements from the originals. My guess is that it was sort of like lumber when you buy it, not really the finished size. To make my new pans fit I made a new base stack support that was overall 1.5" shorter, front to back, but the same width as the old and the old pans had used a 1" thick gasket between the syrup and flue pans, my new set came with a much thinner, but better made gasket, I think it was about 3/8" thick with a metal edge for support so it didn't sag in the middle and while the original 1" gasket was just tightly woven fiberglass the new was a real stove gasket, really made for the task.

DrTimPerkins
10-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Dave is correct. Almost certainly these pans are lead soldered. Get a lead test swab from the hardware store. Roughen up a small patch of solder slightly with fine sandpaper, then run the test kit swab on it. Results will be very apparent.

Also as Dave notes, pan sizes stated are often what is referred to as "nominal" sizes, which basically means...they aren't exact measurements. So a 2' x 4' pan quite often is NOT 2' x 4'. There is no good rule of thumb like with lumber. It all depends on the manufacturer and when it was made. Get solid measurements if trying to match pans and an arch.

ccmx1066
10-05-2022, 02:39 PM
Thank you both for the responses! Sounds like I will most likely be on the lookout for a new pan set to go along with the arch.

Pdiamond
10-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Nice score on the old set-up, even if the pans are lead soldered. I always like to see the old stuff get reused rather than thrown away.

ccmx1066
11-07-2023, 12:31 PM
Took some time, but getting close to finishing up the project. Reskinned in stainless and cut down to a 2x4 to accommodate the pan I already own. Will be nice to keep it in the family for another generation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c2xB5drXrkunb3qC6

maple flats
11-07-2023, 06:07 PM
That will work. When the budget allows and your needs call for it, get new welded pans.
When I did mine, back 12 years ago, I got prices from 3 different companies. There was a wide spread for the new pans. I ended up getting my new pans from Thor, in Quebec. They were lower by about $4,000 for a syrup pan and a flue pan made to my specs. I ordered a 3x3 syrup pan to be 4" taller than their standard, and I ordered a 3x5 raised flue pan, also 4" taller than their standard and rather than 7" tall flues I ordered 10" tall flues. The production was perfect and I would still be using it if my health didn't cause me to quit, and now I looking to get back in on a much smaller scale.(rather than doing 1100-1300+ I'll only do 200-300 taps max. I still have 5 barrels of syrup from before I sold my evaporator, before those are gone I'll need to find a 2x6 (or 2x5?). I have a 250 GPH RO to keep the fuel needs to a minimum.

Mark-NH
11-15-2023, 05:54 PM
Great job on putting that together. Have fun

maple flats
11-15-2023, 06:49 PM
Nice job on reworking the arch, looks real good. You will enjoy using that for this year.
May I suggest sizes for when you expand to a 2x6. First measure the pan space available, then if 72" total, I suggest a 2'x30" syrup pan and a 2'x 42" raised flue pan for the back pan. Be sure to allow space for a gasket between the two pans. If you need to adjust the combined lengths of the pans, it can be subtracted from the syrup pan, if you have more space you can add it to your flue pan. That's just my approach. When you order, get welded pans if you can.