PDA

View Full Version : Height of Evaporator Stack Above Sugarhouse Roof?

OrangeAgain
09-20-2022, 08:08 AM
What is the minimum height of an evaporator's smokestack above the sugarhouse roof?

CTguy923
09-20-2022, 01:01 PM
i dont know of the minimum height but mines 4 feet

DrTimPerkins
09-20-2022, 01:14 PM
What is the minimum height of an evaporator's smokestack above the sugarhouse roof?

Typically, minimum stack height is double the length of the evaporator. The higher it is the more draft you will get. Generally you want the stack to extend a minimum of 2 ft above the highest part of the roof within 10' of the stack. Again, those are MINIMUMS. Often more is used to increase draft, especially if you're in a hollow or low-lying area. Be sure to check to see if any local codes or insurance recommendations apply.

If burning wood, a spark arrestor is also a good idea if there is anything flammable (house, woodshed, barn, etc.) within a wide radius of the sugarhouse. The wind will toss burning embers quite a long way.

maple flats
09-20-2022, 04:56 PM
According to what I learned years ago, when I sold and installed wood burners, the stack must be at least 3' above the roof and 2' higher than anything within 10', at least that was the code in New York State. I believe it was the national building code, but only guessing on that.

amasonry
09-22-2022, 04:35 AM
The stack must be at least 3' above the roof if coming out the ridge and 2' higher than anything within 10' of the roof. Flats you are spot on.