PDA

View Full Version : Air powered diaphragm pump

tombaisley
09-01-2022, 04:24 AM
I would like to replace the the hand pump on my 7" six plate filter press, Any recommendations for an affordable air powered pump?

maple flats
09-01-2022, 07:00 PM
This pump would work fine, it's much like the one I use except mine says max temp 200F, I run up to 210F thru it, with no issues. However, this one is rated for 225F, even better.
Aro #PD01P-HPS-PAA-A Specifications
Zoro #: G5384337 Mfr #: PD01P-HPS-PAA-A

Suggestion, if possible keep the compressor remotly located. I used mine 1 season in the sugarhouse, after that I ran a trench for electric and air to my shop at about 80' from the sugarhouse. I then placed the compressor in the shop, and using the 3/4" air line between the shop and the sugarhouse, I ran it that way, now no compressor noise. Since my shop power runs from the sugarhouse (I have a 200A panel there, and I send 100A to the shop), way better. I can turn the shop power on and off at the sugarhouse panel, thus I just leave the compressor turned on, and run it from the sugarhouse. In the sugarhouse, just before the air line goes into the diaphragm pump I have a ball valve and a pressure regulator, giving me complete control. From the low point in the trench, I attached a drain line, out the bottom of the 3/4" mainline. That way, I just open a valve on the side of the sugarhouse to blead out moisture.

wiam
09-02-2022, 12:18 PM
I run the same Warren pump as Dave on my 10 inch press. They were about $400 when I got mine. Now they are about $750. My next one will be this pump. https://www.toolots.com/1-2-stainless-steel-air-operated-double-diaphragm-pump-made-in-taiwan-c12943-ds04-sai-tsss-02n.html/ng-frontend/#/productDetail?id=39400&title=1%2F2%26quot%3B+Stainless+Steel+Air-Operated+Double+Diaphragm+Pump+12.68+GPM+1%2F4%26q uot%3B+Inlet+%26amp%3B+Outlet+CE+Made+in+Taiwan

tombaisley
09-02-2022, 04:14 PM
The" taiwan" pump specs show 3 different diaphragm materials, there doesn't seem to be a way to select a material,
What material diaphragm should I be looking for?

bmbmkr
09-03-2022, 05:57 AM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D36RV13?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details What are your alls thoughts on this one?

bill m
09-04-2022, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't use it. You should be looking for one with a minimum temp. rating of 200 degrees or more.

tombaisley
09-04-2022, 01:56 PM
I'm also looking at the" happybuy" pump

maple flats
09-05-2022, 06:37 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D36RV13?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details What are your alls thoughts on this one?
In the specs I see "drink" but no mention of max temperature. I'd shy away unless it's rated at 200+F, and it leeds me to think it was speced by someone who doesn't really know english. In this country we don't normally say it's good for drink, but potable water or FDA approved. Buyer beware!

Pdiamond
09-05-2022, 07:07 PM
It was futher down in the description, the max. temp. is 150*.

johnallin
09-06-2022, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't use it. You should be looking for one with a minimum temp. rating of 200 degrees or more.

I'm also looking at the" happybuy" pump

Don't... that's a cheap knock-off...As always, you will get what you pay for.

bmbmkr
09-10-2022, 11:47 AM

I'm with you guys on "you get what you pay for" I talked to a guy the day before I posted who has been using this pump for three years. He uses it 3 days a week, year round, he makes about 15 different kinds of syrup, maple, hickory, and all kinds of fruit syrup. He had one malfunction, the "solenoid" he said, got sticky, he bought another one and swapped out the "solenoid" and has been using it everyday since, he sent me a video of it in use at 180F. I HATE chinesium, been trying very hard not to use chinese plumbing in my RO upgrades the last few years, but dang, SL wants $800 for theirs.

johnallin
09-11-2022, 12:10 PM
... he bought another one and swapped out the "solenoid" and has been using it everyday since,

Curious...if he bought another pump why he would bother to switch out the parts and not just use the new one...sounds fishy

bmbmkr
09-22-2022, 08:52 AM
Curious...if he bought another pump why he would bother to switch out the parts and not just use the new one...sounds fishy

He said it was easier to pull 4 cap screws and slide out the solenoid- I'm guessing that's part of the check valve. Easier than undoin all the pipe fittings I guess. I know hat SL has the 3 way valve set up on their press for the option of transfer pumping. From looking at the photos on their website, there's about a dozen threaded fittings. My experience with SS plumbing on the RO upgrades & modifications SUCKS lol. For that price though, you could afford to have 3 or 4 as spares. But again, I don't trust chinesium either. I'm still researching. SL wants $1170 for their pump now, there's some out there for around $5-600. I may just have to keep on with the hand pump for another year. Then again, everything is goin to cost even more next year if inflation keeps goin at the rate it is.

maple marc
01-21-2023, 06:58 AM
As a smaller producer, a Sandpiper poly pump has been working well for me for several years. Food grade diaphragms are available for them. They are rated for 180 degrees but the manufacturer told me that 185-190 degrees would maybe reduce the life of the pump somewhat.

I use it in my kitchen and have the compressor in the basement so my work area is quiet.