PDA

View Full Version : Sharp sap saks holders

Brent
01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Well my first sap sak sets arrived and my first impression is that these things will shred the bags to peices. There are so many sharp edges from the shearing that it's almost dangerous to handle them without cutting your fingers.

Are they all like this ???

They came with no instructions of coarse so I'm guessing you feed the bag up
through the spring hoop and fold it down around the outside then slide the hoop through the handle/holder. Is that correct.

How do you empty them ??

RileySugarbush
01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I've never had them cut a bag.

You've got the assembly correct, don't skimp on the length of the fold, and tug it down tight after it is slid in the holder.

Emptying them is easy, unhook from the spile, hold the handle and tip up with your other hand on the bottom of the bag. If you empthy them too fast the sap will shoot out the spile hole and soak you.

Brent
01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
"If you empty them too fast the sap will shoot out the spile hole and soak you."

Now this may just be one of the most important things I've learned here.
Nothing like a sap shower, a full wet boot on a cold March morning.

Thanks John

maplekid
01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
heres a video you can learn from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVXeBOl4fXY

Brent
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
that's great bit of video. I see it wise not to aim the spile hole toward your boot.

Thanks.

I'vd got a machinist's deburing tool. I'll sit down and take the edges off. Fingers and bags will last longer.

Edit:

Done with the deburring tool. I did 5 in about a half hour. I'd hate to think of the time it would take to do a thousand.
It does a pretty good job. I think the bag and finger slicing should not be an issue now

tapper
01-27-2008, 07:03 AM
I am interested in sacks and hangers where can they be purchased?

Brent
01-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I ordered mine online from the host of this forum.

See http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=18&PHPSESSID=c6d34688348d2b496ce3b7c892b08f36

You order the bags and holders separately. You'll also need some of the hookless spiles on the same page.

I have no field experience with these yet so I ordered 2 bags for each hanger. Don't know what the mortality of bags in season is.

After this season, if I like them, I'll convert all my buckets. Don't like the washing/sanitizing at the beginning and end of the season.

Alternative .... dreaming about tubing

markcasper
01-27-2008, 08:00 AM
tapper,

I have some I'd sell you. I don't know how many you are looking for? I have used them for years, but since tubing has came in, I don't use very many any more. Send me a P.M. if your interested. Mark

tapper
01-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Awwww geezzzz I looked everyplace but there before asking.. Sometimes I am too close to see the obvious.
I am going to try liners in my buckets and hope im not making a mistake by not washing them. But will definitly get some sacks and holders too.

Thanks Brent!!

Russ
01-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Mark, clear out your private message mail box... it's jammed full and won't accept any more.