PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in necks, just below the threads, of 12 ounce handle bottles

Sugar Bear
08-19-2022, 09:56 PM
Has anybody encountered hairline (barely visible) cracks showing up just below the caps, in the necks of the 12 ounce handle bottles?

I have had three bottles show up with cracks in them.

I turn my bottles over for a bit after filling and capping. When they leaked, I thought it was the cap but this year I have noticed the bottles actually have hairline cracks in them on the necks just below the threads and the syrup actually leaks through the crack in the neck just below the cap. But when the bottles is upside down it appears like it is leaking from the cap, but it is not, it is the crack.

Some questions and possibilities on the problem cause.

1) Were they cracked in transport? These bottles are stored upside down in the container and if the box is dropped on the ground aggressively perhaps the necks on some bottles form hairline cracks???

2) The glass in the neck area of the bottle cannot expand and contract as well as the other area of the bottle and so this area is susceptible to micro cracks when it is turned upside down and is subject to 190 degree heat? I could verify this by carefully looking at each bottle for cracks prefilling and then see if cracks form after the filling.

3) Can the torsional overtightening of the cap cause a crack in the neck?

4) Are the bottle makers just drinking on the job?

220 maple
08-20-2022, 10:54 AM
I believe your talking about 12 ounce glass ovals, there was some made in the past that was terrible, dealers in are area almost giving them away, it’s the cheapest container we can buy.
Mark 220 Maple

Pdiamond
08-20-2022, 06:42 PM
Are you pre-heating your bottles prior to filling? For #3. I don't believe you can turn a cap on tight enough to crack a bottle.

maple flats
08-20-2022, 07:26 PM
Are these American made handle bottles or are they Chinese? I got one box of Chinese maple leaf (not the regular leaf shape ones) that came from China. If I recall the failure rate on sealing was at least 33%, but I did not find any hairline cracks. That was about 7-9 years ago, I never bought any more. They were cheaper for sure but a total waste of money. I was glad I had only tried one case, I usually tended to buy several cases, but not that time.
If not Chinese I suspect rough handling in a warehouse or in transit.