PDA

View Full Version : u.v. treatment question

The Sappy Steamer
01-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Are you guys that are using u.v. treatment using the ones that Leader sells, or the Sap Steady? Or is there any others out there? I was wondering if the ones that Leader sells work well, as they are around half the cost of the Sap Steady. To me that's the difference between getting one and not. I don't produce enough to be able to justify the Sap Steady, but would take a hit for $650.00 if the Leader one works well. Besides, the check "W" is going to send me later on this year should just about cover it. STILL doing my part to keep the economy humming along.(As I'm sure ALL my sugaring brethren are doing as well.)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-26-2008, 11:28 AM
SS,

I having been using the one Leader sells for 3 or 4 years and it works good. I am going to experiment this year and see what the difference is between treated and untreated sap a few times and test the difference in sugar content and etc and will have the results at the end of the season.

I am sorry but I bought mine for $ 212 shipped to my door on an internet barn burner special new in box. It is a 12gpm model.

The Sappy Steamer
01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Brandon,
Is the 12gpm fast enough for your operation? I wasn't sure if the 24gpm unit would be worth the extra hundred and twenty bucks or not. I just figured I would go with the faster unit right off the get go. Where did you find that internet deal? That sounds like a real dandy! I doubt I'll be finding any bargains this time of year.

mountainvan
01-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I got mine 12 gal/ min from ohio pure water. Now they're around $450 I think. http://ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=139 is the page for uv lights.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Here's a Wedeco like Leader sells for $ 345 and this seller has been on Inet for years:

http://www.aquascience.net/wedecouv.htm

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Here's one for $ 359 with free shipping and it is a Wedeco, same kind and appears to be 18gpm:

http://www.bigbrandwater.com/dlra4.html

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Mine is 12gpm and it has a 3/4" inlet and outlet flow and unless you are pushing very high water pressure, you are not going to get to 12gpm or exceed it. I pump my sap from my 2 tanks on the tractor with one of my Tanaka pumps thru it and it flows at about 10gpm.

I like it with the control panel on the front it lets you know everything is working properly. Just a simple green light on type panel, but makes it nicer.

The Sappy Steamer
01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks, that's a lot easier on the wallet. I wasn't too sure if the ones for home water sterilization would work o.k. for sap or not. I appreciate the tip.

H. Walker
01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
The key to a UV filter working is clean sap. If the light can't penetrate through the sap it can't do it's job. I'm told the sap has to be cleaned to 5 micron or less. So unless you can get your sap to that sort of clarity a UV filter is a waste of money.

What I'm doing is spending my money this year on a Lapierre pressure sap filter and next year maybe the UV light.

The Sappy Steamer
01-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I filter with a 5 micron filter in front of my feed tank. Sure doesn't seem like it does much, cause it always looks brand new, no matter how much sap I run through it. We change them all the time anyways, but you would think there would be a hint of discoloration or something to show it's working. I'm not complaining though, cause our sap is always gin clear before we filter.