PDA

View Full Version : Forum representation

Brent
01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
anyone got a wild guess what percentage of American producers are on this forum?

I havn't seen one from Quebec.
There are a few from Ontario and even one from BC.

325abn
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Well there are 1035 members at this time. Granted some of them are not making syrup.

Brent
01-25-2008, 08:58 PM
What's the guess about how many producers there are ?

325abn
01-25-2008, 09:12 PM
From New England AG stats, In 2007 there where 1.26 Million Gallons produced from 7.28 million taps.

Based on these number I would say less than %.01 .

ennismaple
01-25-2008, 10:18 PM
No time to count but we're definitely in the minority Brent - even though Canada makes the majority of the syrup. I think the language barrier has a lot to do with very few (or none) of our Quebecois brothers frequenting this site.

hard maple
01-26-2008, 12:28 AM
little to none
I live in small farming community with five sugarhouses and I'm the only one on here.
Seems like like most people don't really think about sugaring until it's time tap and then their too busy to get on maple trader....

jemsklein
01-26-2008, 07:23 AM
well i live on top of the vally of millbrook and there a 4 sugar makers there is kennedy he own 3 bushes and he is across the valley yes every march you can see 3 clouds of steam from my house there is staples that is 5 min down the road on highway 7a there is also me and then there is dave brackenridge
and those are in order from biggest to smallest

p.s. brent dave brackenridge might join the trader

tuckermtn
01-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Is there a french version of Maple Trader? No speeke francies, but it would be curious to see if there is a comproable online community for the Quebec/New Brunswick french maple producers...

Brent
01-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I've never heard of a French / Quebec maple forum.

Sugarmaker
01-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Brent,
3% to 5% know about the maple trader, my guess?
Chris

gmcooper
01-27-2008, 08:44 AM
My guess is therre are a lot more that get on Maple Trader and watch and read that we never know about. Some just don't have the time to read and post . Others wouldn't want to give out any "trade secrets". Still others are afraid them goverment fellas might be watch'n. Then there is that group that do not have a computer let alone an internet connection. Most of the producers I know are not on here.
Mark

DaveB
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
My guess is therre are a lot more that get on Maple Trader and watch and read that we never know about. Some just don't have the time to read and post. Mark

This is my first post here. I'm one of those guys that doesn't have a lot of time to post, but I do like reading and getting lots of ideas. I know...I should add my own ideas too and will try when time allows.

I actually stumbled upon this site when trying to figure something out. A google search brought me here and I spent about an hour reading and jotting down notes!

Dave

ennismaple
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I've never heard of a French / Quebec maple forum.

The biggest french maple syrup website I've found is Centre Acer. It appears to be government sponsored and they do a lot of highly technical research. Here's the link:

http://www.centreacer.qc.ca/

It's primarily french but a few of their research abstracts have been translated to english. I used to be bilingual (but now I'm illiterate in both of Canada's official languages!) so I can make out some of the french content but I can't translate a lot of the technical info.

I'm here for similar reasons to DaveB - a couple years ago I Googled "sap ladder" and now I visit almost daily!

Brent
01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Me too. ... illiterate in both ... maybe we would qualify to take up in New Brunswick.

There is a logo in the top left of the home page ... this is the equivalent of our milk marketing board ... the Quebec Maple Federation .. I think they issue the production quotas etc.

Brent
01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
sorry duplicated

murferd
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Brent,

Are yous saiing that us newbies are illlllllerate?

Brent
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
newbies or not my high school (Parisian ) French is long lapsed into the illeterate camp. Idot Board of Ed in Ontario thought we should learn "good" French so when I went to Quebec it was like listening to Russian. They thought my French was wonderful ... but I couldn't catch 80% of what they said with the Gat S ineau dialect.

PS married a newbie. Her mom was Dean of Women at UNB

Long time ago.