PDA

View Full Version : Using road brick for fire brick?

mdm1
05-04-2022, 02:51 PM
I am boiling on a cinder block evaporator, 2x4 flat pan. Has anyone used used road brick instead of fire brick? I have read it can be done as long as the brick is clay. We only tap 30+ trees and have the syrup for our own use and give some to friends and relatives. I have some of the brick. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? Thanks Mike (Two Pint Sugarbush)

Wannabe
05-04-2022, 08:47 PM
I use solid clay bricks in my diy barrel evaporator. A few of them do have cracks in them after a few years but big deal. I'd try it, worst that could happen is it doesn't work and you have to replace some here and there. No sense in spending a fortune if you're just doing it as a hobby.

sublime68charger
05-06-2022, 10:41 AM
I would give them a try if you already have them. Worst they can due is when they get hot is to crack and crumble.

just my thoughts

l3rian
12-23-2022, 06:05 PM
I used road bricks in my oil tank evaporator. I got it hot enough to significantly warp a pretty thick metal grate and no issues with the bricks. I've asked around and heard they use them for pizza ovens too. The only thing I'd worry about there is just chemicals burning out. But for an evaporator, the syrup will never be in direct contact with the bricks. I guess technically not in a pizza oven either, but not separated by metal.

amasonry
12-24-2022, 04:14 AM
here is the deal with bricks and fire. soft bricks handle heat better than hard bricks. hard bricks can explode. fire brick has vermiculite in them making them a better heat barrier. never heard of road bricks, but if there orange-ish and soft (backer brick)they will work perfectly.

mdm1
12-24-2022, 07:19 AM
Road bricks are just that. Bricks that were used to pave roads in my area. They are hard. I did line it and fired it up this summer to boil something else. One brick broke and the rest seem to be OK. I got the bricks for $5.00. We are just micro producers and do it as a hobby. So if things work, great, if not just throw some more money at it and keep enjoying doing it.

buckeye gold
12-24-2022, 07:58 AM
I will make one more suggestion; cover them with a layer of refractory cement.

mdm1
12-24-2022, 08:29 AM
How thick would I need to apply the cement? I have never used it. That does sound like a good idea.

buckeye gold
12-24-2022, 03:54 PM
A good skim coat of 1/4 inch would help. Just get your surface clean as possible and mix the refractory stiff.

mdm1
12-24-2022, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Mike