PDA

View Full Version : GREAT STORAGE CONTAINERS

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I tried something this year that I haven't tried before and I was completely impressed. I had 8 taps on a small pipeline and I needed a small storage container. I went to Walmart and bought a Rubbermaid Roughneck 31 gallon storage container with lid and drilled a hole in the top the size of the 5/16" tubing.

After using it for 6 weeks, I was thoroughly impressed. It did not add any flavor to the sap and the sap stayed clear through the entire season. I was doubtful because the only color Walmart had when I was there was a dark blue, so I was afraid with it sitting in sunlight part of the day, the sap would spoil badly. After 6 weeks, the sap was still keeping as good as any other metal or stainless storage container I had.

The are several advantages to them:

1. PRICE $ 3.97 for a 31 gallon container.
2. Light weight
3. Storage--they store easily as you can stack them one inside the other if you have several
4. Durable

They make 18 gallon and 50 gallon also, and I would not recommend anything other brand other than Rubbermaid because they have a really slick finish on the inside which makes them less porous and I would be afraid of some of the other cheaper brands.

Give them a shot, they would be great for people who are only able to collect the sap every several days and for the price, you could set one at each tree! :D :D

I have always been a backyarder, so I am always thinking up something to make life easier! :oops: :oops: :oops:

WF MASON
03-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Great idea ,new and clean is good, a friend of mine bought Dr. Pepper 15 gallon syrup barrels , $15. bucks each and ran tubing to them and they flavored the sap.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-23-2004, 08:39 PM
$ 3.97 @ is only around $ 13.00 per 100 gallon of storage!

Pretty cheap I would say! :D

Jay
03-23-2004, 08:46 PM
WVM, you did better then me LoL, i bought 2 RUBBERMAID garbage cans (32gal) for 15.00 and thought that was a great deal.