PDA

View Full Version : IBC tote - too good to be true? Looking in Central MA

MassMapleNut
04-11-2022, 06:17 AM
Anyone ever bought from here before? $70 with free shipping seems too good to be true. Doesn’t say what they held which makes me suspicious…

https://www.xikers.com/product/330-gallon-food-grade-ibc-drinking-water-rainwater-harvesting-container/?gclid=CjwKCAjwo8-SBhAlEiwAopc9WxfLV5-BKV67f-pORebxTXzR_Y7LYZ2Pe9IPJ3FYHN7G2cm89cKw_hoC6qEQAvD_ BwE

Any one have a good source for these in central MA area?

Ghs57
04-11-2022, 09:14 AM
That's half the going rate here in the Hudson Valley, NY (for used IBCs). No one delivers these things for free either, unless maybe you are buying a truckload. Says drinking water too, and looks brand new. They are rarely cleaned, so the buyer has that job to do too, provided they held a product that can be cleaned out with no aftereffects (vegetable oil, for example). If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

MassMapleNut
04-11-2022, 06:02 PM
That's half the going rate here in the Hudson Valley, NY. No one delivers these things for free either, unless maybe you are buying a truckload. Says drinking water too, and looks brand new. They are rarely cleaned, so the buyer has that job to do too, provided they held a product that can be cleaned out with no aftereffects (vegetable oil, for example). If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

I've heard rumors there is a place in central CT which is about 1.5 hours from me that has usable ones for around $125. Food grade that were used to hold apple juice concentrate or similar. By the time I add the $50 bucks for gas, it's still considerably cheaper than the cost of a new one though! But, I'd also rather pay the extra to get one I trust. Was hoping someone one here had some experience with the one I linked, either good or bad before I made the drive to CT. Or better yet, knew of a supplier in MA.

Pdiamond
04-11-2022, 06:29 PM
From the pictures they appear to be for water, based on the color of the tops on the containers. The one container I believe which had the brass spigot on it was used for water. That is just my take from the pictures and there are no kinds of labels on the totes.

MapleCamp
04-11-2022, 07:10 PM
I've seen some on craigslist in MA that are food grade for 125 used.

bigschuss
04-12-2022, 05:15 AM
I'm in western, MA...seems like there are about 2 dozen on FB Marketplace at any given time for sale. I would think you could easily find something within an hour or so from you.

gbeneke
04-12-2022, 09:02 AM
Looked at this site, they also have a $300 tool set for $65, free shipping. If it seems too good to be true, it's a scam. I think it is very suspicious.

Ghs57
04-12-2022, 09:11 AM
I've seen some on craigslist in MA that are food grade for 125 used.

That's how I found mine. Price from $125-$140 as is, meaning you clean 'em. I guy I found supplies many local maple producers and only carries totes that can be cleaned. They are out there. Check with your fellow local producers or CL, etc.

MapleCamp
04-12-2022, 05:21 PM
Tractor supply sells them for 389 new.

SeanD
04-12-2022, 07:19 PM
That's got scam written all over it.

The last time I bought a tote was from:

IBC Totes, Barrels, and More
440 Chestnut Street
Gardner, MA 01440

Christoher Kyprianos - 978-632-4900, cckyps@gmail.com

I don't remember what I paid, but it was food grade and rinsed. I had to give them a good cleaning but it wasn't terrible.

The Heldeberg Sapper
04-13-2022, 07:23 AM
That website gives me 100% scam vibes. I would avoid at all costs.