PDA

View Full Version : CDL SpinSeal usage on different MFG Mainline Tubing

corrowbasin
04-01-2022, 05:19 AM
Has anyone had good success using CDL's SpinSeal with other tubing MFG's such as MapleFlex, Leader 30P, Leader HD, D&G, Charter Plastics? I know CDL's manual specifically calls out use only on Versapipe & Versaprofile, CDL HD, CDL Spinseal mainline. Figure someone has tried to see how the adhesion/welding works on competitors brands of mainline. I find it hard that they claim it doesn't work on competitors brands as all MFG's are either LDPE or HDPE tubing. Trying to justify purchasing but at $1,700 it would be easier to swallow if knowing my other sugar woods which don't have CDL mainline in them are compatible. I think the SpinSeal has it's benefits especially with older Mainline saddles or as they age in which the gaskets have micro leaks, or the drilled mainline saddle hole losses shape due to pipe stretch. Setting up new woods of roughly ~7K taps but just barely breaking even by purchasing.

ennismaple
04-01-2022, 02:17 PM
We used the Spinseal unit on about 4 different types of mainline this past winter, with mostly good results. I say mostly because it was -15C when we installed them and every once in a while we'd get one that didn't weld well.

It did work great on the CDL HD mainline. It generally took the longest (over 3 seconds) to get a good weld. For the Lapierre "standard" mainline which is thinner we had to adjust the time down. The black water pipe worked OK, as did the green (thick) mainline that I can't remember who made (D&G?).

What you should do is get a scrap piece of each type of mainline you'll be connecting to that day and test with a couple different spin times to see what gets a good weld but doesn't burn through. This needs to be done in the field at the operating temperature and not in your kitchen because the mainline welds differently at different temps.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-01-2022, 04:21 PM
I’ll just add to what ennismaple said and say that it’s a good idea to leave a piece in the bush where you’ll be using it overnight to test. I say that because we had a piece outside by the shack, tested it there then went 2 miles up the road and hill and had issues with the first saddle. Once dialed in, this thing works great. My experience is only with CDL tubing so that’s good to hear it can be adjusted. I assumed it would,CDL just likes to sell tubing!