PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an R/O..

Justin Turco
01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I am thinking about getting an R/O for our operation. We will have around 400 taps this year, "maybe" closer to 500 next year. I don't forsee much growth beyond that. (My sincere thanks to some great neighbors.) As you know we use a 2X6. (My sugarhouse is too small for a 2X8 rig.) We don't use a hood on flue pan. I am probably going to put a blower on the firebox before the season gets going. Though it seems to draw pretty good on its own.

What are some models that you guys think would work well in this operation. Any pros or cons? Seems to me it would be nice if the output was under pressure so I could move it up to my storage tank as the machine is working.

How much $$ (roughly)..

What do you need to watch for in used machine?

Anybody got one for sale???

Thanks for the guidance..

Russell Lampron
01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Justin,

A 150 gph machine is about the smallest you want to go for the size evaporator that you have. That is what size mine is and it works great. The concentrate does come out of it with enough pressure to lift it to a feed tank. Mine is about 7" high. When buying a used one just make sure that the pumps are in good working condition. The membrane may need to be replaced but if you do some searching on the internet they can be had for reasonable money. The prices the dealers charge are insane, don't let that scare you away. I have about 500 taps and use 2 cords of wood or less a season.

Russ

MaplePancakeMan
01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Russ,
How much did your RO cost?

Russell Lampron
01-24-2008, 05:22 AM
I paid $5000 for my RO and drove up to northern Vermont to pick it up. At the time I thought it was a lot of money to spend for one piece of equipment as my evaporator and steamhood didn't cost that much combined. It turns out that it was the best thing that I have bought for my operation so far. It cuts my boiling time and wood usage way down and allows me to tap more trees.

Russ