PDA

View Full Version : To pull or not to pull taps

KiO
03-18-2022, 04:38 AM
With the recent warm temps this week I am wondering if I should pull my taps today and call it a season. I only make about 4-5 gallons of syrup on 10 trees as a fun hobby.
I was wondering what others in my area (Billerica) were thinking or doing?

twomaplefarm
03-18-2022, 06:45 AM
I’m also wondering about this. For those who have been at this longer, can sap even run again after a week-long warm spell?

MapleLady
03-18-2022, 06:57 AM
I am in southern NH and some of my trees were running like crazy yesterday. Looking ahead at next week's weather, some nights will be close to freezing and it might just be enough to get one more run. I would give it another week before pulling taps.

UB29
03-18-2022, 07:07 AM
Also in southern NH, and sap has been flowing all week (on vacuum): although down to 1.2-1.3% sugar. Need a re-charge and a looks like a couple of freezes next week.
Anything on vacuum, I would hold out at least another week. Buckets..........not so much. Tap holes seem to be closing up.

Bill

LMP Maple
03-21-2022, 07:21 PM
All done in Hudson. The peepers were out last week. I would say push it but maybe separate what you make going forward if you tend to blend batches. You don't want to contaminate any good stuff with something that may have turned. I have been done since last Wednesday now. I did collect some sap that had gone cloudy to flood my pans to let it sit until July or so. I was amazed at how well that cleaned my pans last year. Good luck, nothing wrong with rolling the dice. The trees will tell you pretty quick.

KiO
03-23-2022, 04:21 AM
I decided not to pull any taps and see how it goes. Nothing much going on this week thus far to nobody's surprise. Looking into next weeks forecast there might be some temps below freeing at night so going to leave them in until then and see if anything flows again. I started a little later this season so hoping the taps stay healthy another week.

NhShaun
03-23-2022, 07:05 AM
I always leave my taps until I'm burnt out or the you can taste the buddy flavor in the sap. I tap a lot of red maples so my season ends abruptly every year. I am typically 1 week or so behind you folks down in southern NH and northern Mass, I will keep following this thread for updates. Best of luck holding out for a few more good runs.

berkshires
03-23-2022, 03:40 PM
I decided not to pull any taps and see how it goes. Nothing much going on this week thus far to nobody's surprise. Looking into next weeks forecast there might be some temps below freeing at night so going to leave them in until then and see if anything flows again. I started a little later this season so hoping the taps stay healthy another week.

I think you'll be happy with that decision. I'm expecting a good run today. Then a bunch of rain will keep overnight temps too high for a few days. Then a hard freeze over the weekend, followed by what looks like primo temps next week. Don't tell my wife, but I'm even considering extending my season by a half a week if things stay cool through the beginning of April. :)

GO

ecolbeck
03-23-2022, 06:41 PM
Decent run in these parts today. Local sugar maker's pipeline wasn’t running even though his taps are fresher than mine. Perhaps taphole sanitation plays a part here?

DMF
03-24-2022, 10:05 AM
I'm holding out. We only collected around 172 gallons yesterday but I'm hoping for a recharge next week.

UB29
03-25-2022, 05:37 AM
Still holding out. Picked up 125 gallons last night, so trees were running a bit. Will pull the buckets this weekend, as they are just about dried up. Mini freeze early next week, so we may get another small run and that I think will wrap it up. Reds are getting scary looking. A couple of 50 deg. days this weekend and they may pop.

Bill

KiO
03-30-2022, 04:48 AM
Well.... it seems like leaving the taps in for this weeks cold weather was a bust. Not much flow to speak of thus far so pulling taps this week to end a decent season. Good luck to all that are still going strong!