PDA

View Full Version : blower "squeeling"

tuckermtn
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a non-maple question I hope its okay to ask - its actually a furnace blower question...

we have a forced hot air furnace here in the "shack" we are renting here in BC...

on and off we have been having a loud sqeeling/screeching coming from the squirrel cage blower in the base of the unit...it is a similar unit to the ones I have seen on blowers for evaporators...I cleaned the dust off the fins of the cage and cleaned the consolidated crap on the actual motor (a GE motor) - but it still screeches....

my question is- is there an place to oil a bearing or lube something that might calm the squeeling monster in the basement?

other options or am I looking at a new motor?

thanks- and sorry for the non-maple post...

Fred Henderson
01-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Yes , usually at the end of the motor. There may be a some type of plug in the hole. There is sometimes a wick around the bearing also the shaft for the blower might need a few drops of oil.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
check the fan my squirel cage bearings take oil also.

RICH

gmcooper
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I've had to use WD40 on some to loosen up the crud before the oil would even reach the bearings. Good bet the motor and blower have never seen oil.

tapper
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Sometimes there are just small holes thru the bearing housing on each end of the fan. These holes get filled with dust and my appear to not be there. Clean them out and a few drops of 3in1 oil should do the trick unless the bearings are shot. Also is the blower belt driven? May be the belt if it is? Try some belt dressing or a new belt.

tuckermtn
01-23-2008, 06:17 PM
thanks to all for th suggestions...3 N 1 oil around the shaft of the motor (took a little tweaking to get the oil in) seems to be doing the trick so far...

thanks

-tuckermtn

Fred Henderson
01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Put a few drops in each day because it takes a while to saturate the wick in there. That motor may have bronze oillite bearings and the oil in the wick lubes the bronze.