PDA

View Full Version : Heatproofing to insulate barrel evaporator

Galena
03-15-2022, 04:56 PM
Hey all, what do you use to ìnsulate your barrel evap?

Need a roll of...something, preferably not asbestos, to finish off a section of my barrel. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Someclown
03-15-2022, 07:20 PM
You can check Amazon for ceramic insulation preferably 1 inch thick, its not cheap but I believe that's the most common thing used for insulating evaporator wood box.
A masonry place that has firebrick or does pizza ovens, wood stoves etc. may also carry ceramic insulation

Pdiamond
03-15-2022, 07:27 PM
Check with your local maple supply store. they should have ceramic blanket. you can use 1inch or 2 inch. Then place firebrick on top of it, if you want added insulation.

Galena
03-15-2022, 08:46 PM
Hmm in this case firebrick won't work, it's the top part of the barrel. I used nuts, bolts and very large washers to secure the previous insulation but didn't buy enough, and don't want to use more. Thanks though I will check and see if CDL has ceramic blanket :-)

maxmaple
03-17-2022, 11:52 AM
Uses expanded metal sheet grate or metal mesh fastened with a few bolts, washers and nuts to hold the ceramic banket in place. Nothing too thick otherwise you can't bend it to follow the rounded shape of the barrel.

l3rian
01-05-2023, 02:49 PM
Was at a big box store the other day. They didn't have ceramic blankets but had mineral wool. The temp rating is only a couple hundred degrees difference and he said at the trade shows they hold a lighter up the to the mineral wool and it doesn't ignite. I know the BTUs of a BIC aren't the same as an evaporator, but has anyone tried it? It's much cheaper and more readily available.

nas
01-05-2023, 03:34 PM
I use Rockwool comfortboard in my evaporator and have had no issues.

Nick