PDA

View Full Version : 9" CDL Vacuum Filter/Bottler Review

ecolbeck
03-13-2022, 03:26 PM
This is a quick review of my experience with the Vacuum Filter setup. I bottle my syrup many days/weeks after it is produced. After reading about others experiences, I decided that I would use the following process.

1. Gravity cone filter off the evaporator.

Then after a few weeks...

2. Reheat to over 200
3. Vacuum filter
4. Bottle

I was surprised to find how quickly the syrup filtered into the canner. I did not even use the vacuum until after the 3rd gallon. Applying vacuum worked great and the remaining gallon of syrup went right through (like in the videos). I had bought DE assuming I would need it but I found it wasn't necessary.

Filtering twice is a little annoying but not too bad, especially with how easy this process was.

LMP Maple
03-13-2022, 06:29 PM
Thank you for the info. I am not having the same luck with mine at this point but this has inspired me to try it with straight syrup and to skip the DE to see if that makes it go faster. Question, how many pre-filters are you using? Also if it is going through that well could you draw off the evaporator into the canner and skip the gravity filter? I guess either way you would be fouling a filter just curious. I am only getting about a gallon through before I pull the pre-filter that is gummed up with DE etc. Maybe I am using too much. About a cup per gallon. I have maybe a couple of boils left this season I would say. I will try some of the things you are doing to see if I can improve. Thank you I learn a lot by hearing what is working for everyone and sometimes what is not. I am glad to hear that you are happy with it.

ecolbeck
03-13-2022, 06:55 PM
I was pouring about a gallon at a time through it. After each gallon I would change the prefilter although I'm not sure I needed to. I suppose that I could draw off straight into the canner but I usually need to adjust the density slightly (forgot to mention that in the steps above).

I should add that once I was done with today's bottling session, and had typed up my first post, I was feeling all proud of myself and then I noticed that the syrup I had bottled was a little bit cloudy. I've had this issue at various times in the past. Not sure why it happened this time. Perhaps some DE would have helped?

LMP Maple
03-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Interesting. I will try adding half as much DE to see if that helps speed up the process. Sounds like you have the speed dialed in. The syrup looks good coming out of my unit however I have not put it into glass this year to see if there are cloudiness issues. I'm thinking there may be an elusive DE amount that will give us what we are looking for with some speed and clarity. Of course, you add in the time of year and sap quality and it may throw off the whole equation. Thanks for the info on how well you thought it did with the end product. I will def add some DE but cut back. Also, I have a 50-pound bag of the stuff to use up:)

johnallin
03-13-2022, 08:20 PM
I think what’s missing is the ability to recirculate your syrup. With a press and pump we run syrup through until it’s clear, even that can take 3-5 minutes as the paper will not catch all the DE until it begins to build up, basically tripping over itself as it try’s to pass through the paper. Think beaver dam. Once the it builds a cake the syrup begins to clear up and is properly filtered.
Guessing with the vacuum and a one shot pass through the filter your getting plugged up pretty quickly. The more DE the better as it’s doing all the filtering. On it’s own and without a means to recirculate it’s just going to go through the paper and end up in you syrup.

ecolbeck
03-13-2022, 08:25 PM
I think the difference is that the vacuum filters are using orlon just like gravity filters rather than the paper filters that presses use. The DE would be there to assist rather than act as the primary filter medium.

BAP
03-14-2022, 05:47 AM
Interesting. I will try adding half as much DE to see if that helps speed up the process. Sounds like you have the speed dialed in. The syrup looks good coming out of my unit however I have not put it into glass this year to see if there are cloudiness issues. I'm thinking there may be an elusive DE amount that will give us what we are looking for with some speed and clarity. Of course, you add in the time of year and sap quality and it may throw off the whole equation. Thanks for the info on how well you thought it did with the end product. I will def add some DE but cut back. Also, I have a 50-pound bag of the stuff to use up:)
Actually you may need to increase the amount of DE you add, not decrease. If you have too little DE, there is not enough to build a layer up over the entire filter, before a layer of niter sludge builds up. The DE layer remains porous allowing more syrup to pass through, while the sludge layer doesn’t allow anything to pass through. I have never found an amount of DE that was too much to add for my CDL 12” Vacuum Filter, but I have found what was too little. Next time try adding double the amount that you are using and see what happens.

western mainer
03-14-2022, 06:39 AM
I agree with Bap you need more DE. I try less at first it doesn't work
Brian

canaanmaple
03-21-2022, 10:38 AM
This is a quick review of my experience with the Vacuum Filter setup. I bottle my syrup many days/weeks after it is produced. After reading about others experiences, I decided that I would use the following process.

1. Gravity cone filter off the evaporator.

Then after a few weeks...

2. Reheat to over 200
3. Vacuum filter
4. Bottle

I was surprised to find how quickly the syrup filtered into the canner. I did not even use the vacuum until after the 3rd gallon. Applying vacuum worked great and the remaining gallon of syrup went right through (like in the videos). I had bought DE assuming I would need it but I found it wasn't necessary.

Filtering twice is a little annoying but not too bad, especially with how easy this process was.

yes, this is exactly what I do and works like a charm! Its just too darn easy to cone filter right off the evaporator into bulk storage and use the vac filter as a finishing filter/bottler. Thats what its best for in my opinion. You can say its an extra step thats a hassle, but so is messing with DE and still having issues with getting it to filter nice. I have the 12" one and use the smallest shop vac they sell, and barely have to turn it on.

wobbletop
03-21-2022, 01:20 PM
Do you have a a nozzle small enough to fit in the bottle, or do you use a small funnel (like I have to)?

ecolbeck
03-21-2022, 02:03 PM
Do you have a a nozzle small enough to fit in the bottle, or do you use a small funnel (like I have to)?

It came with a nozzle that was small enough for all but the 8oz glass bottles I have. I've found that the ball valve it came with is kinda drippy and annoying. Has anybody found a better alternative?

LMP Maple
03-21-2022, 07:12 PM
I have to finish off what was left in my front pan this weekend. I will try adding more DE for my last couple of gallons for 2022. Thank you for the advice on this thread. Looking forward to next year and dialing this thing in.

canaanmaple
03-22-2022, 11:29 AM
It came with a nozzle that was small enough for all but the 8oz glass bottles I have. I've found that the ball valve it came with is kinda drippy and annoying. Has anybody found a better alternative? I agree on that. gonna get one of these, that should solve the problem with ball valve filling.

https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/bottling-outlet-valve-12-90

https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/coffee-style-bottling-valve-red-34-x-m16

ecolbeck
03-22-2022, 12:49 PM
I agree on that. gonna get one of these, that should solve the problem with ball valve filling.

https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/bottling-outlet-valve-12-90

https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/coffee-style-bottling-valve-red-34-x-m16

Thanks! That's very helpful. Of those two options, is there one you prefer?

wobbletop
03-22-2022, 05:33 PM
Would those work though? As far as I can tell, the CDL vacuum filter has a 3/4" male fitting on the bottom.

edit: looks like you'd just need a coupling...
https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/ss-sleeve-34

edit again: The above is the wrong size. Probably made for the 12" version?

canaanmaple
03-23-2022, 11:50 AM
Thanks! That's very helpful. Of those two options, is there one you prefer?

The cheapest! I dont have one yet, but just decided that ive had enough of trying to use the ball valve to fill. about every now and then it drips too much and overflows the bottles. having the shutoff at the top of the fill spout bend will eliminate that problem for sure though.

Z/MAN
03-24-2022, 10:57 PM
I would get the coffee bottling valve!

eustis22
03-27-2022, 12:17 PM
so, first time using the CDL 9 in vacuum filter and....nothing. I have the orlon plus one (1) prefilter. I added 1 cup DE to a gallon of syrup and....nothing...the vacuum doesn't seem to be working at all. Clearly I am doing SOMETHING wrong. Of course my backup vacuum filter is hosed because my vacuum pump died in the off season

ecolbeck
03-27-2022, 12:34 PM
You are filtering hot syrup, correct? Vacuum is applied and valve is open?

eustis22
03-27-2022, 12:35 PM
yes and yes

tried my spare filter + 3 pre filters and unDE'd syrup got sucked through...bringing the DE stuff up to temp now for a try with that

eustis22
03-27-2022, 12:39 PM
here's another question..if you use multiple pre filters how do you remove the top clogged one? Remove the cap?

ecolbeck
03-27-2022, 12:49 PM
Yes, take the cap off and somehow scrape off the top prefilter. I found this somewhat tricky when it was caked with DE.

wobbletop
03-27-2022, 05:06 PM
Too late now, but I wouldn't have used DE for the first try. It has never worked for me.

wobbletop
03-27-2022, 05:10 PM
here's another question..if you use multiple pre filters how do you remove the top clogged one? Remove the cap?

I've started placing the prefilters inside the cap, not between the cap and the body. There may be some not covered around the edges but the center of the filter is mostly covered. Since I filter off the evaporator too using a cone filter, I haven't had an issue.

BAP
03-28-2022, 05:50 AM
I’m using the 12” CDL vacuum filter, bought one of the first ones in the US. I’m putting up to 3 gallons at a time through it lately. With the amount of niter/sugar sand, I am running 1-1/2 to 2+ cups of DE per gallon of syrup. Most people think that if they put a little bit of DE and it plugs up to then use less. That’s not how it works, you need to use more. If the DE plugs up, it means it has reached it’s capacity and it needs more of it to get the syrup threw. It takes much longer to get it all through this year, but I have never had any that I couldn’t get filtered.

eustis22
03-28-2022, 06:18 AM
I used a cup for that first gallon but I will try more in the second and let you know.

Ross
03-28-2022, 01:59 PM
I just filtered another batch last night with my 9" CDL and 1 cup DE per gallon. Using 3 prefilters and 1 felt I have been doing 2-1/2 gallon batches without changing the prefilter. When the filter starts to get clogged I have been spooning out the DE and gunk and it starts working again.

bryankloos
03-28-2022, 08:53 PM
I struggle with 1/2 cup DE per gallon, with ability to get maybe 1.5 gallons through the filter...
Next year I'll try 1 cup per gallon...

eustis22
03-29-2022, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I am still not impressed with this filter process. Added 1.25 cups DE/ gallon and it still only filters a couple of cups before I have to change out all the filters. The old wool cone filter processed faster than this.

ecolbeck
03-29-2022, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I am still not impressed with this filter process. Added 1.25 cups DE/ gallon and it still only filters a couple of cups before I have to change out all the filters. The old wool cone filter processed faster than this.

Both systems use the same filter medium. It seems as though if one doesn't work then the other wouldn't either. Do you have your old wool filter? Perhaps give it a try?

eustis22
03-31-2022, 04:11 PM
I upgraded my vacuum in case the shopvac I was using was too under powered but that didn't change any rate of flow. I don't use DE with the wool cone. My efforts look nothing like the video how-tos I have seen and I'm pretty discouraged at this. I HAVE to use the DE, right? just the filters alone won't catch all the niter?

ecolbeck
04-01-2022, 05:14 AM
Sorry to hear that it's still not working. I can't say that I've completely figured it out either. It is my understanding that DE is not required but that it may improve the filtering process by simultaneously increasing the surface area available for filtering and provide a finer filtering medium. I agree that the demonstration videos are a little misleading in terms of the ease with which the system appears to work. Can you just filter your syrup with a cone filter for now just to get the job done and then retry the vacuum system later?

spike in wi
04-01-2022, 07:34 AM
We have the 9" vacuum filter as well for 3 seasons now. The best we found to work is with boiling syrup is to use about one cup DE per gallon. We put the orlon filter in first and then clamp the top on. We then put only one prefilter on after clamping. (This we remove after about 1 minute of vacuum.). Pour the boiling syrup to about 1 or 2" from the top and start the vac. Run the vac until it pretty much quits drawing around 1 minute. Shut off vac. Use something sharpish to pull the prefilter out and turn on the vac again until the draw pretty much stops. This process gets us about 5 to six pints per session. Pull off the orlon filter and keep doing this done. The syrup is crystal clear. One guy early on in this thread lets his sit for a few days or weeks so a lot of niter settles out. I think that would work excellent if you have the storage space to do this. We don't. This is our process for now and it may change as we experiment. We have run about 75 gallons through the 9" so far. Your mileage may vary and sorry about the long post. Spike

PS: I forgot to say to pour the rest back into the boiling pot before trying to take the orlon filter out. Be careful splashing syrup.

Conococheague
04-01-2022, 06:06 PM
I designed and built my own vacuum filter/bottler and it works beautifully. I hear some on here mention using a shop vac. I have a vacuum reservoir with a vacuum gauge on it. When I connect it to a 5hp shop vac, I only get a few psi of vacuum compared to using a Harbor Freight vacuum pump which gets close to 14 psi (perfect vacuum is 14.7). Could this be issue? Just a thought.

Conococheague

BAP
04-02-2022, 05:56 AM
I designed and built my own vacuum filter/bottler and it works beautifully. I hear some on here mention using a shop vac. I have a vacuum reservoir with a vacuum gauge on it. When I connect it to a 5hp shop vac, I only get a few psi of vacuum compared to using a Harbor Freight vacuum pump which gets close to 14 psi (perfect vacuum is 14.7). Could this be issue? Just a thought.

Conococheague
What is the vacuum pump you are using? Could you provide a link to it? Is it quieter than running a shop vac?

Conococheague
04-02-2022, 06:28 AM
Yes, the vacuum pump is not quiet but it’s quieter than a shop vac and much smaller. When I was researching this a few years ago to start the project, someone on here mentioned the Harbor Freight vacuum pump and a water separator from Amazon. I don’t pump directly on my filter but instead evacuate a reservoir (stainless de Laval bucket milker) that is isolated from the filter during pumping, then isolate the pump from the reservoir (close a valve) and then open the valve in the line connecting the reservoir to the bottom chamber of the filter. I have a tee in this line so that when the syrup is in the bottom chamber (filtered) I can vent that bottom chamber and allow the syrup to flow freely through my bottling valve and tube. If my memory serves it might have been DRoseum who uses a Harbor Freight pump. No matter - I’ll look it up and post back here.

Conococheague

Conococheague
04-02-2022, 06:42 AM
Okay - go to www.harborfreight.com and search for vacuum pump. Two Pittsburgh Forge models come up - a 2.5 cfm and a 3.0 cfm. I’m not sure which one I have without looking as they look identical but 2.5 cfm is the better value. Get a water separator if you plan to pump directly on the bottom chamber of you filter. I don’t but put one in the line anyway. The only thing I’ll caution you about is that these are not dry pumps (they use vacuum pump oil) and when pumping can create a little oil vapor. It’s not bad but just don’t be surprised. I have a fairly long line between my pump and reservoir and can run the pump near an open window or under a stove hood. Enough pump oil comes included to get started but you want to buy a bottle at some point.

Conococheague

LMP Maple
04-03-2022, 07:43 PM
I am not all that impressed with mine. I can see the point of using a different vacuum source however that was not how the unit was sold or demonstrated. If CDL came out and said a shop vac will not cut it then that would be one thing. I do think that it is faster than the orlon or wool filters for me and I have kind of gotten used to it. I use a cup per gallon roughly I would say I am a little heavy-handed and it will do about a gallon and a half then I break it down and switch out the prefilter and keep rolling with a new one. Not a huge deal and the syrup is crystal clear with the DE. My complaint would be that the videos are pretty misleading as far as speed. I think if I could go back I would probably buy a short stack filter press but maybe that would be the same. I do like the fact that it is relatively small and does not take up a lot of space. I was able to put the shop vac in the rafters and keep it all pretty compact. I hope to attend a conference with a CDL vendor before next year to really pick their brain on this to see what they have to say. I will say that at my open house this unit caused the most confusion and conversation by far among the visitors.

BAP
04-04-2022, 04:48 AM
Okay - go to www.harborfreight.com and search for vacuum pump. Two Pittsburgh Forge models come up - a 2.5 cfm and a 3.0 cfm. I’m not sure which one I have without looking as they look identical but 2.5 cfm is the better value. Get a water separator if you plan to pump directly on the bottom chamber of you filter. I don’t but put one in the line anyway. The only thing I’ll caution you about is that these are not dry pumps (they use vacuum pump oil) and when pumping can create a little oil vapor. It’s not bad but just don’t be surprised. I have a fairly long line between my pump and reservoir and can run the pump near an open window or under a stove hood. Enough pump oil comes included to get started but you want to buy a bottle at some point.

Conococheague
Thank You for sharing what and how you are using your vacuum source.

Conococheague
04-04-2022, 04:53 AM
I looked yesterday and I have the 3 cfm vacuum pump. Before you give up on your filter, spend the $95 on the 2.5 cfm pump and give it a try. The difference between a vacuum pump and a shop vac might surprise you. I will admit that I never ran mine with the shop vac but the difference in the vacuum level in my reservoir was substantial and only had the shop vac as a backup. For $95 I might even buy the 2.5 cfm pump as a backup for my 3 cfm pump.

Conococheague

eustis22
04-04-2022, 06:39 AM
I ended up not using the DE and it worked well enough. I cannot tell as to clarity as my syrup is always pretty dark anyways. I've never not produced dark syrup on my 2X3 which is either an indictment on my sap (mostly from silvers, I think) or on my boiling technique. A couple of years the early season stuff has come out not as dark. Anyways, I will hold on to the CDL as it makes jarring a lot easier than the old coffee urn. I would like to see a pic of how the fittings from the vacuum pump to the vacuum valve are set up. Seems like you'd need a lot of reducers in the connection.

Conococheague
04-04-2022, 05:56 PM
I haven’t mastered putting pictures online but there’s no reducers. The plumbing is very simple. 1/4” male npt with 3/8” hose barbs. Brass ball valves with 1/4” female npt ends. Everything, including hose available at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or your local hardware store. I’m not sure what CDL uses to connect the vacuum line to the filter but it should be easy to adapt.

Conococheague

wobbletop
04-05-2022, 10:04 AM
So I bought the coffee urn type of dispenser for this and it was the wrong size. The 9" output is all 1/2" tubing size, and I bought the 3/4" coupler with the coffee urn adapter. I'll need to return it.

What worked for me instead was to pull a silicon funnel over the draw off elbow which reduced the output size to something I could fit inside the bottle opening. It stayed put through 7L of hot syrup and I'm very happy with the improvement. No more syrup down the sides of the bottles.

Funnels like these... I used the green one.
https://www.starfrit.com/en/3-piece-silicone-funnel-set

https://www.starfrit.com/media/catalog/product/cache/d2d659e9ad2561290878f99a4ac64bf9/3/8/386-0935230030000-1.jpg