PDA

View Full Version : End of line technique to minimize impact of "chews"

ADK_XJ
03-07-2022, 10:07 PM
I had seen this described on a video or two on YouTube, of course, I promptly forgot which ones so here I am inquiring of you all:

What is the technique or tool that is used for the end of tubing line (I'm thinking specifically for 3/16 tubing in this case, with the end being the line anchored around the first / top tree) so that most of the exposed tubing around the tree is "inert?"

I saw more than one person describe how they "block off" the tubing for most of the wrap around the tree that anchors the line, suggesting that is the area "more often than not" that is chewed by squirrels or deer. Is it some kind of end-of-line hook?

The only end-of-line hooks I've found locally are essentially an elbow and still leave the entire length of tubing "live" to the natural vacuum of the rest of the line.

motowbrowne
03-07-2022, 10:12 PM
I just did all my new laterals with slide fittings. I used old tubing from the previous install to make loops around the end tree. I tied each loop in a square knot. Then the new lateral just hooks onto the loop. You could do the same thing with an end of line hook I think, but maybe it wouldn't hold as well. I guess I'll have more to report on the slides in a few years, but for now I'm very happy with them.

Another option is an end of line T for the top drop, it blocks off the tubing that continues around the tree. I'm not sure they exist for 3/16, but definitely for 5/16.

tgormley358
03-07-2022, 10:55 PM
Motowbrowne has it right, at least what I use, is a top of line T which has one side solid rather open for sap to flow thru. These should be available for 3/16 as they are for 5/16.

DrTimPerkins
03-08-2022, 07:14 AM
...Another option is an end of line T for the top drop,

https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/health-end-line-t-316 and https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/end-of-line-hook-316 in combination. Or something similar from another vendor.

motowbrowne
03-08-2022, 09:04 AM
https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/health-end-line-t-316 and https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/end-of-line-hook-316 in combination. Or something similar from another vendor.

Thanks Dr Tim!!

I will also add that I'm not loyal to any brand across the board, but unless something has changed, for 3/16, Cdl makes the only fittings with two barbs. I had terrible problems with 30p and leaders fittings. Switched to cdl fittings and zero issues. Probably a softer tubing than 30p would be fine with the single barb fittings, but two seems better than one to me.

ADK_XJ
03-08-2022, 06:56 PM
https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/health-end-line-t-316 and https://webstore.cdlusa.net/en/end-of-line-hook-316 in combination. Or something similar from another vendor. Yep, that's what I saw - thank you!

peteinvermont
03-10-2022, 10:31 AM
I've switched all mine to using hollowcore rope around the tree. The tree rats don't seem to be interested in that nearly as much.

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2022, 10:51 AM
The other recommendation is to not have the dropline run tight to the tree, but to offset the tee slightly so the dropline is slightly off the stem. Supposedly this will help minimize squirrel chews.

motowbrowne
03-10-2022, 07:51 PM
The other recommendation is to not have the dropline run tight to the tree, but to offset the tee slightly so the dropline is slightly off the stem. Supposedly this will help minimize squirrel chews.

This also makes installing drops quite a bit easier in my experience.

DrTimPerkins
03-11-2022, 07:32 AM

When this is done, it is best to offset the drops all in the same direction (downhill typically). That way you can always tighten the lines by pulling uphill and use the end ring fitting to snug things up. Easier to do that way than to tighten at the mainline entrance end, and it'll pull all the tees towards the tree rather than away.

ADK_XJ
03-20-2022, 09:27 PM
When this is done, it is best to offset the drops all in the same direction (downhill typically). That way you can always tighten the lines by pulling uphill and use the end ring fitting to snug things up. Easier to do that way than to tighten at the mainline entrance end, and it'll pull all the tees towards the tree rather than away.

I think I follow the bit about tightening from the end hook but can you clarify what you mean about offsetting on the downhill side? My drops have sort of a U-loop from the tap to the line, I'm using 5/16 drops into 3/16 lateral line...is that ok or are you describing some other type of approach?

motowbrowne
03-21-2022, 02:44 AM
I think I follow the bit about tightening from the end hook but can you clarify what you mean about offsetting on the downhill side? My drops have sort of a U-loop from the tap to the line, I'm using 5/16 drops into 3/16 lateral line...is that ok or are you describing some other type of approach?

He's saying that the location along the lateral line where you make the cut to insert your T fitting will all be on the same side, downhill of the tree. So, not quite right at the tree, but maybe 6-12" downhill from it. This still gives good access to the whole tapping band, but keeps the dropline a little further from squirrel activity. And if you want to tighten the lateral at a different time, they will continue to all line up with the trees if they all are consistently on the same side, rather than spacing some a foot uphill and some a foot downhill.

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2022, 07:32 AM
He's saying that the location along the lateral line where you make the cut to insert your T fitting will all be on the same side, downhill of the tree. So, not quite right at the tree, but maybe 6-12" downhill from it. This still gives good access to the whole tapping band, but keeps the dropline a little further from squirrel activity. And if you want to tighten the lateral at a different time, they will continue to all line up with the trees if they all are consistently on the same side, rather than spacing some a foot uphill and some a foot downhill.

Yes, that's exactly it. Thank you for expanding nicely upon my explanation.

motowbrowne
03-21-2022, 09:14 AM
Yes, that's exactly it. Thank you for expanding nicely upon my explanation.

My pleasure. Glad you didn't mind. I know it takes time putting out great information for us amateurs, so if I can help share even a tiny bit of the load, it's an honor. I've said it before, but having you around is an incredible resource and I'm sure we all want to see you stick around as long as possible!!

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2022, 10:58 AM
...I'm sure we all want to see you stick around as long as possible!!

Thank you, but June 30, 2023 is my firm launch date, although with my accrued vacation it'll functionally be closer to the end of March 2023. That means this is probably my final season of field research (not enough time to collect the data next season, analyze it and write it up before I go and plenty of other things to write up in my final year). The date is unlikely to change. Got a young grandson and another grandchild on the way...they're only little for a short time.

motowbrowne
03-21-2022, 05:29 PM
Thank you, but June 30, 2023 is my firm launch date, although with my accrued vacation it'll functionally be closer to the end of March 2023. That means this is probably my final season of field research (not enough time to collect the data next season, analyze it and write it up before I go and plenty of other things to write up in my final year). The date is unlikely to change. Got a young grandson and another grandchild on the way...they're only little for a short time.

Well, that's all great news Tim. But, uh... does it mean you're gonna say goodbye to the trader?? I'm crossing my fingers we will still see you around here. :)

motowbrowne
03-21-2022, 06:02 PM
I mean, maybe if a couple bottles of Bombay sapphire showed up every year courtesy of some traders that would help persuade you. You know, now that you'll be off the clock...