PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight 1" Predator Pump

miboss
03-06-2022, 03:17 PM
I normally shy away from habor freight, but my backup pump went out on me, so I decided to give one a try, since it's much cheaper than the honda equivalent.

This thing is huge, maybe 2-3 time the size and weight of a honda or generac 1" pump, but what really surprised me is how much better it pumps. I've had pumping issues using a 1" pump through 3/4" line, but this HF pump is pretty fast, and the gas tank doesn't seem much bigger, but it runs for more than twice as long as my other pumps.

Over all I have zero complaints, so if you're in need of a pump, try one out.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-06-2022, 05:38 PM
Our 1” predator pump has been great for 3 seasons now.

raptorfan85
03-06-2022, 07:25 PM
I looked at the predator before buying my wx10. Looks to be a good pump. The motors have a good reputation for the price.

The tank on my wx10 is tiny... only real complaint.

MISugarDaddy
03-07-2022, 05:19 AM
We have the 1" Predator as a backup for our WX-10. Definitely seems to pump faster than the Honda. Only thing I recommend is to change the spark plug out with an NGK plug to make starting easier.
Gary

Paddymountain
03-07-2022, 06:19 AM
Season 11 on our pump! No complaints! A little cold blooded
You need to choke every time to start, other than that it’s
been a great little pump.

dcast99
03-07-2022, 06:45 PM
I've been using mine for 9 years pumping 2000 to 3000 gal a year. Doesn't even use a full tank of gas a season. Yes, it is cold blooded. Have to use the choke every time even if you shut it off 5 minutes ago.

canaanmaple
03-21-2022, 10:27 AM
awesome pump for 3 seasons so far. 35gph and always starts so have no complaints. Ive even let gas sit in it all summer every year. finally broke the pull string end of this season but was an easy field fix. Yes to being a cold blooded and liking a certain choke throttle combination. If I ever got a backup for it, it would be another one :)

DMF
03-21-2022, 02:46 PM
I just bought one of these this year; so far so good!

Openwater
12-24-2022, 11:08 AM
I'm planning on buying this transfer pump. Which NGK spark plug should I get to replace the one the comes in the engine?
Thanks

Pdiamond
12-24-2022, 09:48 PM
I have heard several people and friands who use this pump say they wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I believe the NGK # is BPR6ES

Openwater
12-25-2022, 10:06 AM
I made the mistake of looking at the WX10 and now I'm doing a comparison between the 2. The predator lists a shipping wt of 39lbs and the WX10 only 16lbs; big difference.
Also, the WX10 description says it's self-priming, but I don't see anything in the Predator description about self vs manual priming, but I'm not even sure if the priming thing is important as long as the inlet to the pump is lower than the level of sap in the tank it's pumping out of.
Any other major, practical differences in these I should now about besides price?
Thanks for any input or advice.

MISugarDaddy
12-28-2022, 05:36 PM
I don't think the Honda is self priming. Both pumps require that you fill the pump with liquid prior to using. If the pumps are located below the level of sap in a tank you won't need to prime either pump.
As others have said, the Harbor Freight pump tends to be cold blooded, requiring the use of the choke to start it. Once you have started the Honda and run it a minute or two, no choking is needed and it will start with a single pull. The Honda pump is VERY light compared to Harbor Freight.
Gary

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-29-2022, 11:00 AM
We put an NGK plug in our harbor freight pump as was suggested on here. It runs good, but does require the choke to start it. Always starts first pull though with that plug in it. I wouldn't say it is heavy, but if Gary says it is heavier than the Honda than I am sure it is. Its not self priming but doesn't take a lot of liquid to prime, maybe 1-2 quarts. We are able to use gravity from the tank to trailer so not really an issue. All in all, we like the predator pump. Given what it costs compared to the Honda, I don't mind flipping the choke lever. We have had ours for 4 seasons and no issues.

wnybassman
12-29-2022, 06:06 PM
Does anyone pump up some decent elevation regularly with this pump? Say 60 to 70 feet or so?

limestone
12-30-2022, 06:46 PM
Does anyone pump up some decent elevation regularly with this pump? Say 60 to 70 feet or so?

Hi Bassman

We’ve had the HF 1” pump on a transfer Line for six years now. Ours is the previous branding Pacific Hydostar.The line has 74” head height and a run of around 200’. It’ll pump a 60 gallon tank down in about a minute.
We’ve restrung the recoil a couple of times and the compression is not as good as it used to be but that’s expected for a unit that runs wide open after a cold start time after time.
Will have to try the spark plug upgrade and I agree it needs 3 or so pulls with full choke every time.
Can’t beat it for the money.

wnybassman
12-31-2022, 01:35 PM
Hi Bassman

We’ve had the HF 1” pump on a transfer Line for six years now. Ours is the previous branding Pacific Hydostar.The line has 74” head height and a run of around 200’. It’ll pump a 60 gallon tank down in about a minute.
We’ve restrung the recoil a couple of times and the compression is not as good as it used to be but that’s expected for a unit that runs wide open after a cold start time after time.
Will have to try the spark plug upgrade and I agree it needs 3 or so pulls with full choke every time.
Can’t beat it for the money.

Is that 74 inches of head, or feet? Mines is about 60 or 70 feet, and a run of about 330 feet. My Honda WX10 has done a good job over the past several years, but started getting flakey last year. I think I have it fixed, but wouldn't mind having a spare. If my pump fails, I'm kinda screwed getting sap out of the woods.

Openwater
01-01-2023, 09:58 AM
I splurged for the WX10. Ran it yesterday. At full throttle, it likes about 1/2 choke.
I think I broke it in pretty good. Now I'm gonna dump the oil and fill back up with new.
I think all these small engines eventually get a little picky with the precise choke/throttle combo.
I'm hoping when that day comes, the carb is accessible enough to remove and give a good cleaning and maybe replace jets if needed.

wnybassman
01-01-2023, 10:45 AM
I splurged for the WX10. Ran it yesterday. At full throttle, it likes about 1/2 choke.
I think I broke it in pretty good. Now I'm gonna dump the oil and fill back up with new.
I think all these small engines eventually get a little picky with the precise choke/throttle combo.
I'm hoping when that day comes, the carb is accessible enough to remove and give a good cleaning and maybe replace jets if needed.

You can swap out the WX10 carb in less than 5 minutes. I did it several times last season. lol

Openwater
01-01-2023, 04:23 PM
You can swap out the WX10 carb in less than 5 minutes. I did it several times last season. lol
Several times on the same engine? What was the matter with it? Bad fuel? Or just alot of constant use?

wnybassman
01-01-2023, 07:14 PM
Several times on the same engine? What was the matter with it? Bad fuel? Or just alot of constant use?

The first replacement I bought was a cheap one. Had decent high end (for a while) and horrible idling capability. Bought a second cheap one, idled like a dream but terrible high end. Finally wised up and brought a Honda OEM. Seems to idle great and also has smooth high end, but have not put a good load on it pumping uphill yet.

I had the original carb rebuilt at a Honda dealer a few years ago. He said the diaphragm ripped. That cost me $220 for the repair. It lasted a year and the exact same condition came back. I was hoping a $12 cheap carb fixed my problem, but it didn't seem to. Now I am hoping a $40 Honda one does. The $220 seemed kinda steep to me, but he did do it in a days time during the season. That's why I want a back-up now.

Openwater
01-02-2023, 06:28 AM
That's why I want a back-up now.

Good idea.
I'll have to get out the manual and get the carb part number.
I'm gonna get the Honda OEM for a spare to put in tool box on the sap hauler.

limestone
01-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Yup Bassman that was a “typo” it’s 74 feet of head that the pump runs at

wnybassman
01-22-2023, 11:42 AM
Got the Predator all set up and ready to go. Top speed on this pump seems a lot less than the Honda, just by sound. The picture indicates where the lever is at full throttle, and the little diagram only shows it at half throttle. Is this what other people show at full throttle? Is this factory preset to where full throttle should be? Or do I need to turn the adjustment screw to get the lever to show full throttle on the little picture? I just don't want to over-rev it.

ADK_XJ
01-22-2023, 07:43 PM
Just bought one of these so I will be curious to hear the answer...

red/one
01-23-2023, 06:49 AM
I have a HF pump. 1". Its a Pacific Hydrostar. It works great. Full throttle is full throttle. You may want to see if there is an adjustment. It pumps a 275 gallon tote pretty quick.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-23-2023, 07:06 AM
With positive pitch from the tote to the pump, we get at least the advertised 35 GPM, maybe better. Not sure how that compares to a Honda. It is a very short throw lever, never noticed the comparison to the throttle sticker in your pic. We’ve never adjusted it. Run it full throttle.

wnybassman
01-23-2023, 05:56 PM
Just bought one of these so I will be curious to hear the answer...

Seeing you also have one fresh out of the box, does your full throttle look like mine in the picture?

ADK_XJ
01-23-2023, 09:41 PM
Seeing you also have one fresh out of the box, does your full throttle look like mine in the picture? Now why didn't I think of that...full throttle on mine looks just like yours:

Here's a question...what do you all use for hoses? The intake and discharge hoses at HF weren't rated for potable water, so I got a 1" shallow well pump hose with the ribbing and a check valve submersible end but it's a male to male 1" npt up against the pump and I am striking out finding any kind of 1" to 1" female to female adapter. I feel like there must be something really obvious that I'm overlooking here...

wnybassman
01-23-2023, 10:31 PM
Now why didn't I think of that...full throttle on mine looks just like yours:

Here's a question...what do you all use for hoses? The intake and discharge hoses at HF weren't rated for potable water, so I got a 1" shallow well pump hose with the ribbing and a check valve submersible end but it's a male to male 1" npt up against the pump and I am striking out finding any kind of 1" to 1" female to female adapter. I feel like there must be something really obvious that I'm overlooking here...

That must be normal throttle position then.

I got everything from Zoro, plumbingwise.

Output side: 1" PVC female to female, 1" male to 3/4" inch male PVC, then a 3/4" female to 3/4" male Banjo fitting.
Input side: 1" PVC female to female, 1" male to 3/4" inch male PVC, 3/4" female to 3/4" hose barb, 3/4" Beverage hose, then a 3/4" hose barb to 3/4" female Banjo

My pumpout line is 3/4" and all my connections everywhere are 3/4" Banjo fittings.

johnallin
01-24-2023, 05:24 AM
Got the Predator all set up and ready to go. Top speed on this pump seems a lot less than the Honda, just by sound. The picture indicates where the lever is at full throttle, and the little diagram only shows it at half throttle. Is this what other people show at full throttle? Is this factory preset to where full throttle should be? Or do I need to turn the adjustment screw to get the lever to show full throttle on the little picture? I just don't want to over-rev it.

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=22785&stc=1

Now why didn't I think of that...full throttle on mine looks just like yours:

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=22786&stc=1...

Move the "rabbit" sticker to the right. I'll bet the factory in China has the wrong location ...

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-24-2023, 06:07 AM
We use tigerflex hose with banjo fittings. Hose is expensive but worth every penny.

red/one
01-24-2023, 10:44 AM
Turn the screw out? Maybe get higher RPM?

wnybassman
01-24-2023, 01:30 PM
Turn the screw out? Maybe get higher RPM?

It does. I just don't want to over-rev it. I'll leave it alone until I pump with it and see how it does.

wnybassman
03-22-2023, 06:35 PM
So I bought this pump as a spare, but ended up using it as my main pump the entire season. It was a real workhouse, and I really like it. Absolutely wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I like the fact it seems to run at a much lower RPM than the Honda but pumps the same amount of sap.