PDA

View Full Version : flipping pan

slammer3364
03-04-2022, 08:30 AM
I was just wondering how many hours to boil before you flip your pan.I usally run about 20 hours or do you guys do it sooner. Thanks Slammer

motowbrowne
03-04-2022, 08:50 AM
Are you talking about reversing, like drawing off on the other side of a reverse flow pan? I used to do it every boil, but my new setup is a reversible large cross flow pan and I really prefer making syrup in the back channel, so I only switch if I need to. I should probably just get in the habit of draining and cleaning it more often and never reverse.

Russell Lampron
03-04-2022, 09:07 AM
If you're talking about reversing the flow I did it every boil and not by hours of use. I checked the nitre in the pan and cleaned it when it started to get dirty. I can't put a time between cleanings on that because the nitre buildup changed through the season. I had a 2x6 evaporator.

LMP Maple
03-04-2022, 10:04 AM
I tend to switch sides about every 8 hours or so depends on what I see as far as niter and sugar sand. I drain it and take it off for a major clean 4 times or so during the season. As others have said it really depends on how the pans are looking. I have it easy as my syrup pan is tiny and flipping and removing is easy and a one person job. For example I took it off today and did a major cleaning as we have not boiled for a week and the weather is going to break starting tomorrow. I had the time and wanted to get it back to baseline again before the flood starts.

maple flats
03-04-2022, 10:29 AM
I also suggest you reverse every boil. If you start to notice a change in the way it boils (the foam starts to look different) take a plastic spatula and drag it towards you holding it at about 45 degrees angle on the blade and a slight down pressure, if it slides smoothly you are Ok, if there's a drag it's getting to be time to reverse flow or clean the pan.

DrTimPerkins
03-04-2022, 10:54 AM
Depends on the size of your pans, how quickly the niter if forming, time of the season, how hard and how long you normally boil. With a small rig boiling sap you can probably get away with switching sides (reversing, flipping) every boil, but best to monitor how niter is building up (foaming, "feel" of pan). With a larger rig boiling concentrate of 20 Brix or more...you might only get away with a few hours even on a good day, but typically those pans are set up to reverse fairly simply.

red/one
03-04-2022, 01:11 PM
I need to do mine before this weekends warm up. Noticed alot of sand and already boiled about 400 gallons of sap. We run a small homemade rig, the pan will get drained and then rinsed. Then we just unhook and spin the pan.