PDA

View Full Version : Reseting CVs After a Freeze

SeanD
03-02-2022, 06:23 PM
I have now had to reset (tap back in) my CVs twice since first tapping. That's typical for me. It seems after each hard freeze (temps in teens), they are popping out enough to wet the outside bark and cause vac leaks.

Is this typical? I've visited every tap 3 times in the last 10 days. I'm wondering if I'm a little soft on my initial tapping and resets and I'm making it too easy for them to be pushed out. I can't imagine the big, big producers revisiting every single tap after every deep freeze - or do they? I'll feel better of they do, but with my work schedule, I'm losing sap on the run after a cold snap.

How far is the head of other people's CVs from the tree after tapping on a 1 3/4" to 2" hole?

Russell Lampron
03-02-2022, 08:19 PM
I used CV2 spouts since they were first introduced to the market and never had to reset them after a freeze. If you're using the CV adapters I have heard of those needing to be reset. I only used those until the CV2 came out and I did have to reset some of those but not very many and only after a hard freeze.

SeanD
03-03-2022, 05:19 AM
I should have been more clear. I use the CV2s - the single piece tap. Thanks for the feedback.

markgm
03-03-2022, 06:24 AM
I had this happen a few years ago, but this year I haven't had a tap pop out despite some cold snaps.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-03-2022, 06:32 AM
I've used the cv2 since they came out. Install over 8,000 every year. Never had to reset any of them. I've had other problems with quality in manufacturing, but spout loosening in tree is not a problem I've experienced. From my experience, they actually grip the taphole better because they have less of a taper than other spouts and more of the polycarbonate makes contact with the wood.
Neil

Russell Lampron
03-03-2022, 06:43 AM
I had the same experience as Neil with them. I had some wimpy tap pulling tools that bent up like pretzels when pulling the CV2's. They stick in the tap hole and seal good. If there's a leak at the tap it's usually a bad tree not a loose tap.

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2022, 08:24 AM
We've had no problems with CV2 spout (polycarbonate) heaving. Used to have to reseat spouts a good bit back when we used nylon spouts. Are you tapping them in until the sound changes or some other method?

SeanD
03-03-2022, 06:29 PM
I'm probably being too soft on the initial tap. I tap (click-click-click) until it turns to a (tunk-tunk) and the hammer bounces off it more. It's a mix of feel and sound for me. How far is the head of the tap from the outside bark give or take?

bill m
03-03-2022, 06:46 PM
Don't worry about how far the head of the spout is from the bark. It means nothing. Bark thickness varies from tree to tree and in different locations on the same tree. It is not a very good determination of whether a tap is seated or not.

tcross
03-04-2022, 05:55 AM
i seem to have some cv's i need to tap in after a hard freeze, but it seems that it's only the smaller trees that i need to do that on. however, it's a relatively small % of taps.

maple flats
03-04-2022, 10:58 AM
I used CV2 ever since they were introduced. I very rarely had to reset any, but I can't say never. I'd get maybe .5-1% each season, but those generally turned out to be ones "the help" installed.
What do you use for a tapping hammer? I used a 7" pair of linemans pliers, using the flat side of the jaw. All help did also. Either use an official tapping hammer, or try the pliers. Don't swing like you're driving a nail, just use your wrist. It works for me!