PDA

View Full Version : No Weld Baffles in Pan

Maplesapper
02-26-2022, 03:47 PM
Has anyone figured out a way to have baffles in a pan without welding them in ?

I have a 2x4 flat pan.
Would like to install some baffles

berkshires
02-26-2022, 05:53 PM
I think most folks building a flue pan start from scratch. Most folks who want to convert a flat pan seem to do it by adding drop tubes, which are soldered in.

Gabe

raptorfan85
02-26-2022, 06:33 PM
I think most folks building a flue pan start from scratch. Most folks who want to convert a flat pan seem to do it by adding drop tubes, which are soldered in.

Gabe
I think he's talking about taking a flat pan and putting dividers in it to make it a continuous draw pan.

Maplesapper
02-27-2022, 07:25 AM
Correct Jake-

I have a 7" flue pan.
I am trying to install two dividers in a flat pan>

Muggy weld has fluxless solder product you just heat up with a torch.
Just wondering if there is a simpler way

Sinoed09
02-28-2022, 01:34 AM
I’m thinking about this myself - I have a triple bowl commercial stainless steel sink that I want to divide. I don’t really want to weld until I get the setup figured out. So instead of buying sheet metal, I bought an oversized stainless steel cookie sheet from Amazon. The cookie tray has a 1” lip all the way around it so I’m going to use a metal c-clamp and attach it to the side. I’m hoping any small gaps at the bottom will just get filled with sugar and seal it that way. My compartments are 18x21 so a cookie sheet will work just fine leaving a gap of an inch or two at the end. There are sheets made by Fox Run that have square folded edges but I couldn’t find one big enough and went with this - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JYWS6P3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

therealtreehugger
02-28-2022, 01:52 PM
The first year we boiled with a divided pan, the dividers were only tacked on, about every six inches. This made it harder to work up a gradient. Don’t underestimate how much sap will flow under the dividers. It will not get filled up with sugar.

Sugarmaker
02-28-2022, 05:16 PM
If you make the new pan from scratch it can be bent up as a "U" shape for each partition. those can be joined at the openings at the ends to eliminate the welded in baffles. I am making it sound easier than it is.
Regards,
Chrid

Maplesapper
02-28-2022, 07:48 PM
Tried welding the baffles- with a Stainless flux and solder......
And my buddy is a an expert with these things- warned me that SS is tough to deal with.
Pan warps WAY TOO much as soon as the heat gets on it.

Time for a re-think

Jigrod
03-01-2022, 02:34 PM
Sugarmaker, that's exactly what I did when I made my pan last year. I went with 20 ga which worked great but there is still some tricky welding with that thin of material.