PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

cropseyvillemark
01-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I have a De Laval #75 That I want to put on line this season. I'm wondering if there are any limits to the distance or direction that I can go with the exhaust pipe?

brookledge
01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
The shorter the better It will help to reduce heat build up but if you need to run it very far you definately want to upsize the exaust. Don't be afraid to use big pipe like 3" or 4" vehicle exaust pipe.
Keith

danno
01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I run a Deleval 75 as well. I bought a section of galvenized pipe to extend my exhaust last year, but I never put it on as I was concerned about how hot the pump ran.

As others have suggested, I have a box fan between the pump and holding tank - blowing toward the pump. This keeps the pump cooler and blows any oil vapor away from the holding tank.

maplecrest
01-22-2008, 06:02 AM
on mine i pointed the pipe down, elbow and 4 inch pipe. put bucket under to catch oil. worked until i run sap thru pump. then put a delaval water trap on it. ran 20 inches on 1800 taps.used nondetergent 30 weight motor oil and it did not heat up. used about three quarts of oil thru the season. going to have liquid ring there this year

danno
01-23-2008, 09:31 PM
I get so many great ideas on this site. Rather than buying a moisture trap, as someone suggested, I put a household water filter in line without the filter. I put a racquett ball in the filter - so if sap comes in, the ball floats to the top and does not let sap pass into the pump. Vacuum is just pulling through the pressure relief valve at that point.

It has not happened yet, but I get about a thimble full of sap/moisture in the trap every few days.

cropseyvillemark
01-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Danno, My pump has a 1-1/2" intake. would the 3/4" filter housing be too restrictive?

brookledge
01-26-2008, 04:12 PM
If you have a small vac. pump the house filter would work but not on a large one. I'd say that if you have a 1 1/2" line coming in I'd not recommend a 3/4" filter
Keith

danno
01-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Cropsey -

I had the exact same question when I set mine up. I too have an 1 1/2" intake and was not crazy about reducing to 3/4" for the filter (moisture trap). Thought I would lose vacuum transfer. I even priced a 1 1/2" filter, they are avialable, but about 4 times the price of the $20 3/4" filter.

Long story short, the 3/4" works just fine, I don't lose any vacuum. I was also thinking of putting in a dry line, glad I did'nt - I don't need it - not yet any way.

On my delaval - I've got about a 3500' main line. I go about 2750' beforre I hit my first tap. Had 300 taps on it last year, about 450 for this year. I have several vacuum guages in the line and I lose no vacuum between the pump and the last tap.

If you go this route, make sure you get a clear filter (got to see what's going on inside), plumb it the right direction and don't forget your raquetball:)

danno
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Brookledge - just curious, why would a house filter not work on a larger pump. I had my vacuum up to 23" last year by mistake (the relief valve froze), and there was no ill effect to the filter.

brookledge
01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Danno
I just thought reducing it down to 3/4" would be to restictive. But if it has worked for you than I'd say to others go for it.
Keith

cropseyvillemark
02-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Danno, How much oil should I figure on needing? should I be trying to reclaim?