PDA

View Full Version : IBC tote without cage

Birdland Sugarbush
02-24-2022, 05:15 AM
The tank I was using the past few years isn’t available and I’m looking at IBC totes.

Someone locally has them for $30 without the cage. How stable are they without the cage? Right now I’m using a barrel strapped onto a trailer pulled by my tractor. Round trip is less than a 1/4 mile.

Question 2 - he said the tote was filled with soap and it smells like soap. Is the standard hot water and scrubbing the best way to get rid of that smell?

Thanks,
Chris

BAP
02-24-2022, 05:27 AM
I am not sure how stable it would be but someone on the Facebook Marketplace in Antrim has some for sale that are food grade and in cages for $85. Close to you.

NhShaun
02-24-2022, 06:09 AM
I would not use one that contained soap. It was likely a concentrated version and you may never get the smell out.

Twisted Minds
02-24-2022, 08:16 PM
They are very stable without the cage. The wire cage and base are mainly for support when transferring with forklift or other mechanical lift and stacking. I use one for transport and one for storage and never had any troubles.

Russell Lampron
02-24-2022, 08:34 PM
I've never used one without the cage but have seen it done with success. That being said I would be more concerned that the tote had soap in it. It more than likely won't wash out completely and will transfer into your sap and then into your syrup.