PDA

View Full Version : metallicy syrup

maplefarmer
02-22-2022, 09:18 AM
we have syrup made last year, that has what i would describe as a metaliky taste, all i can find is it was stored in metal containers. this was never in metal, plastic buckets on trees, and plastic syrup jugs. how are we getting this taste?

buckeye gold
02-22-2022, 10:21 AM
It's a form of metabolism, you done nothing wrong. You can sometimes salvage it by heating to 250 degrees and then bringing back to proper density with distilled water.

NhShaun
02-22-2022, 10:45 AM
It could also possibly be from contact with other metals that aren't stainless during the whole process. How do you currently filter? How old are your boiling pans? Possibly you have high iron in your water used to clean filters and such? Just throwing ideas out there to rule anything else out beyond natural metabolism like Buckeye suggests.

220 maple
02-22-2022, 01:37 PM
Metabolism, good luck getting rid of it,250 is beyond candy syrup for me so done stir it! Buckeye Gold do you add distilled water as soon as it reaches 250?

buckeye gold
02-22-2022, 03:00 PM
yeah, actually you should be able to stop at 245 if I recall right. Have your water ready and soon as you hit temp add it and like you said be careful stirring or you'll have just what you said a clump of candy. keep on low heat until it's liquid. I only done it a couple times, once worked once didn't, it started going south as I had the stove to hot and the temp shot up, so I made sugar. However, We have used it for glazing nuts, BBQ sauce and other high temp products and it does fine. Unless you have a lot that is what I would do.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2022, 03:30 PM
It's a form of metabolism, you done nothing wrong. You can sometimes salvage it by heating to 250 degrees and then bringing back to proper density with distilled water.

The process was developed at UVM PMRC and is described in one of these papers.

https://mapleresearch.org/search/?_sf_s=metabolism&_sft_authors=perkins-timothy-d

This process will reduce the off-flavor to some degree while also increasing stronger maple/caramel flavors. You can repeat it if needed. Results vary depending upon how bad it was to start with. Keep a REALLY close eye on it...scorching happens really fast at that high a density. Note that it is exceedingly difficult to blend the taste out by adding good syrup to it. You'll likely just end up with a lot of poor tasting syrup.