PDA

View Full Version : air lock in drop/tap?

canaanmaple
02-20-2022, 08:10 AM
Is there such thing as air/vaccum lock that can occur in a tap or drop? for example, tree is tapped, and you can see sap running out the hole, but when tapped it stops. then you pull the tap and see sap running again, re-install tap and drop fills up as should.

82cabby
02-20-2022, 08:43 AM
My (very rudimentary) understanding is that tubing systems create a pretty complex dynamic. Sap may be being held up at a given moment at a given tree and releasing the vacuum/pressure in the system may get it going in that instance. However, I would just leave it be and wait for everything to equalize.

maple flats
02-22-2022, 02:56 PM
That is called venting the tap, taps should NEVER be vented, just let mother nature handle it. If you vent the tap, you have contaminated the line and introduced micro-organisims. That will allow the tree to start sealing off that tap hole sooner.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2022, 03:33 PM
That is called venting the tap, taps should NEVER be vented, just let mother nature handle it.

Dave is being nice. The real answer is DO NOT VENT.

canaanmaple
02-24-2022, 10:43 AM
Dave is being nice. The real answer is DO NOT VENT. I do seem to vent way to much, but mostly to myself and one or two close friends :)

maple flats
02-26-2022, 01:18 PM
Just don't vent to you wife or you will be venting alone in short order.