PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 evaporator - help me decide .

Kcorey
02-19-2022, 07:17 PM
I am looking into making a purchase for next season, and buying a new 2x6 evaporator . I was at Bascoms today and looked at the Lapierre vision series. I liked it , but want to consider other options. How does everyone like smoky lakes Corsair ? Forced air vs regular draft? I have 150 taps this year on buckets , but will be doing them on line and vacuum setup for next year . Also will be adding another 100-125 taps next season . What is everyone seeing for boil rates on 2x6? Thanks !

Sugarbush Ridge
02-19-2022, 10:31 PM
I have a Smoky Lake 2X8 with 6' drop flue. I really like the drop flue. Boiling raw sap worked good except for some long nights. I've had about 300 taps with 200 on gravity tubing and rest on buckets. It took me twice as long to get buckets as to pump up the 200 from the collection tank. Long night time boils. Got an RO ,,, and shorten boils to just a few hours. I'm now planning to get a 4' drop flue pan as it doesn't take as much concentrate to fill and sometimes I don't have enough to start up the 2X8 pan or for a very short boil and 20-30 gallons to cook down in house.

BAP
02-20-2022, 06:45 AM
375 taps will be a lot on a 2x6 without an RO unless you like long boil times. I have 250 taps on my 2x8, and just added an RB25 RO Bucket this year because on good runs I was boiling 8-10 hours. Definitely get forced air because it really makes the evaporator come to life, boil harder, and increases the efficiency of wood usage. Raised flue pan gives you better control over sap flow into your syrup pan than drop flue. As far as brands, many good choices out there and if you are thinking of upgrading for next year, start talking to the dealers now so that they can give you early order discount pricing when it becomes available in May.

Kcorey
02-20-2022, 07:26 AM
I have a 2x5 Lapierre Waterloo small now that I added a blower too and made airtight door. I have a RB25 ro bucket kit I have yet to setup as well. My evaporator now is raised flue. I plan on ordering early , just trying to decide what brand to go with.

johnallin
02-20-2022, 08:18 AM
I'd recommend you look at CDL, H20 Innovations and Leader Evaporator. Any of the three make first class equipment and provide on-site support with a Dealer Network.
Over the years I've dealt with all of them and in season being able to call for help - on a Sunday afternoon or after "4:30" on a weekday - is not something you get with the smaller, internet-based manufacturers.
My recommendation is to deal with a company who can provide service when you need it.
Locally (NE Ohio) we are very fortunate to have great representation of all the major players provided by dealers who will jump through fire to help out.

Kcorey
02-21-2022, 06:58 AM
I checked out CDL Venturi model, requested more info on them. I’m also looking at smoky lakes Corsair 2x6 setup. Not sure if I should step up to a 2x8.

Pdiamond
02-21-2022, 08:26 PM
The smoky lake 2x6 rate should be around 75 gph. My SL 2x4 does 45 - 50 gph on the Corsair arch.

Russell Lampron
02-22-2022, 05:42 AM
Choosing a good dealer is as important as choosing the brand of evaporator. Also choose an established brand that won't be going out of business any time soon. All of the major brands make some nice evaporators so to me that's not quite as important a good dealer. Stick with the 2x6 and increase the size of the RO as you add more taps.

johnallin
02-22-2022, 06:12 AM
Exactly what Russ said.

Kcorey
02-22-2022, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys . I have a rb25 ro bucket kit I have yet to set up. Was thinking of selling it and purchasing a bigger RO setup.