PDA

View Full Version : UV light sterilization

TheNamelessPoet
02-08-2022, 12:31 PM
I had a thought, and I didn't find anything here (tho I bet I just missed it)

Would running concentrate through a UV sterilizer help the concentrate last longer, as long as it is kept under say 35-40?
Like after 24 hours run it through a UVight sterilizer. I know that is then heating it up, but does the uv neutralize enough to make it work?

DrTimPerkins
02-08-2022, 01:02 PM
UV exposure has been researched and used in the maple industry, more so in the past than at present, and could help if done correctly. The issue is generally in doing it correctly. The standard UV units for water aren't particularly effective because the liquid thickness of units for water is too thick. UV has less penetration in sap than in water (especially near the end of the season or anytime microbial loads are high). Flow rates are also typically far too high in standard water units. Units designed for maple are (were) too expensive, and thus kind of disappeared from the industry. Bulbs typically have to be replaced every couple of years.

Short answer...can't hurt but probably won't help much unless you're willing to part with a good chuck of cash.

TheNamelessPoet
02-08-2022, 01:21 PM
hmmm, what if you froze it, how long would it take to freeze a 5 gallon bucket in a home chest freezer? 24-48 hours.

It wouldn't degrade it much if you boiled it as it melted? Say having it melt and pour (as it melted) into the warming pan?

buckeye gold
02-08-2022, 02:41 PM
I would vote UV as a waste of money. My cousin ran one in his Maple operation 20 years ago and it was nothing but a hassle. I myself have never used it in Maple, but my former life was as a fish hatchery Manager and I used about as many types of water treatment as you can imagine. There was the time that a couple companies started pushing UV treatment in our water supplies as the next great thing. They got consultants to add it to renovation designs. Well then it got researched and after a few troublesome applications it was mostly given up on. The only systems it was effective enough to be feasible in was spring water or well water that had very low suspended solids or dissolved minerals. You see it can't kill bacteria that is not exposed to it and all the aforementioned things block the UV light and thus any microbes shaded by or within them. Then bulbs would vary in intensity and some microbes needed higher lethal doses....bottom line, move on it's not worth your investment and time, in my opinion

TheNamelessPoet
02-08-2022, 02:57 PM
I would vote UV as a waste of money. My cousin ran one in his Maple operation 20 years ago and it was nothing but a hassle. I myself have never used it in Maple, but my former life was as a fish hatchery Manager and I used about as many types of water treatment as you can imagine. There was the time that a couple companies started pushing UV treatment in our water supplies as the next great thing. They got consultants to add it to renovation designs. Well then it got researched and after a few troublesome applications it was mostly given up on. The only systems it was effective enough to be feasible in was spring water or well water that had very low suspended solids or dissolved minerals. You see it can't kill bacteria that is not exposed to it and all the aforementioned things block the UV light and thus any microbes shaded by or within them. Then bulbs would vary in intensity and some microbes needed higher lethal doses....bottom line, move on it's not worth your investment and time, in my opinion

See that's why I ask :-p

People always say, "stop trying to reinvent the wheel" Now i know so when someone asks me or suggests it to me in 5 years, I know what to say :-p Have to make sure our knowledge keeps getting passed along as much as possible! Plus things change, technologies advance, someday... you never know...