PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite 5/16" tapping bit

Lloyd'sMapleSyrupandSap
02-08-2022, 09:27 AM
What is your favorite 5/16" tapping bit to use in a battery drill? I use a Dewalt DCD 998. Also where did you get it, how much did you pay? I use a steel collar held in place with a set screw, on my bit to keep it from drilling too deep. My current favorites are a canadian tapping bit I got at Bascoms for $18, and a tapping bit I got at Butternut Farms store, appears to be titanium coated and has a fluted shaft for $18. Both of these bits pull fast into the tree and leave a nice clean, round hole, fast!

DrTimPerkins
02-08-2022, 10:35 AM
We use the Lapierre 5/16" tapping bit for frozen or unfrozen wood. Has been excellent.

Lloyd'sMapleSyrupandSap
02-08-2022, 01:30 PM
I'll have to get a look at one and give it a try. I like the one I got at Bascom's but it's pretty expensive, $18. It's very aggressive and needs the collar to stop it from going all the way through the tree!

DrTimPerkins
02-08-2022, 05:50 PM
Many people (including us) just use a piece of 5/16" tubing cut to the right length and slipped over the end of the bit and pushed down to the chuck as a bit stop. Cheap and effective.

unc23win
02-08-2022, 07:46 PM
In my experience the best bits are from Lapierre. I might not have tried all the rest buy I have tried quite a few. With the Lapierre you can hear the difference. With identical drills set at the same speed drilling side by side you can tell the Lapierre is better by the sound.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-09-2022, 06:47 AM
I'll be trying an MES bit this year for the first time and will report my opinion. I've only ever used CDL bits so nothing to compare to. May have to order a couple Lapierre bits for next season to try them out.

Lloyd'sMapleSyrupandSap
02-15-2022, 09:48 AM
after about 1000 holes the tubing might need to be replaced, i noticed the other day. it does work well.