PDA

View Full Version : Diaphram pump:Push or pull

Beerclouds
02-08-2022, 07:09 AM
I have 7 or 8 laterals going into a 3/4 inch mainline. At the end of the mainline i have a ball valve with a reducer to accommodate 1/2 inch vinyl tubing that connects to my diaphram pump. From the pump sap goes into a 1/2 inch tubing which goes up approx 11 or 12 ft to a 1 inch mainline. this mainline travels approx 1000 ft all on a good down slope to a collection tote. I've heard that diaphram pumps push better than pull, so my question is: will my pump push the sap up 12 ft thru 1/2 inch vinyl tubing to my 1 inch mainline? The pump runs off solar power and is rated for 4.5l per minute. Thanks for any input.

Biz
02-08-2022, 09:11 AM
The pump should push it fine but you will probably get less vacuum on your sap line. And there may be problems with the pump and pump outlet line freezing up at night if you are turning pump off at night, since it will be full of sap. A drain valve would help that.

Dave

NhShaun
02-08-2022, 09:29 AM
There is always the option of having a collection container where your pump is now. And a separate pump on a float switch that just worries a transferring the sap from that tank straight up to your 1 inch transfer line. It wouldn't use up too much of your solar power if rigged with a float switch, and it would allow your vac pump to just focus on achieving higher vac and not two tasks.

Beerclouds
02-11-2022, 07:11 AM
How would i go about adding a drain valve...im not quite seeing the picture...

Biz
02-11-2022, 07:22 AM
Tee in a ball valve valve at the bottom of the transfer line, just after the pump outlet, and run the line from valve back to your tank. Close valve when you want to pump the tank out, open it when done pumping and any sap in the line will run back to the tank on gravity.

Dave