PDA

View Full Version : Head tank - inside or outside

wkies
02-07-2022, 09:11 PM
I’m in the planning process of building a small sugar house (10’x16’) for my 2x3XL Mason evaporator. I’m wondering if folks like their head tank inside or outside? I’ve seen it both ways and see positive/negative of both setups.

MISugarDaddy
02-08-2022, 05:20 AM
You are correct, there are advantages and disadvantages to either setup. We have ours inside and found it works well for us. Our only problem with it was the condensation that formed on the tank because of the heat/steam buildup in the sugarhouse when boiling. We resolved that problem by insulating the tank with 1/2" foam board. We attached the foam board to the framework supporting the tank and the problem was gone.
Good luck with your new sugarhouse, it is so nice to be in out of the weather and wind.
Gary

SeanD
02-08-2022, 06:04 AM
I tried mine inside for one season, but didn't like it. The condensation was the main problem. The other problem was rinsing it at the end of the night. That's more easily done outside for me. Lastly, inside space is at a premium for me (I'm 12'x20'), so anything I can keep outside, stays outside. Good luck with the new sugarhouse.

bill m
02-08-2022, 07:06 AM
Inside for me. I do not have any tanks outside. My head tank is seperated from the evaporator room by a wall so I never have a problem with condensation. Having the tanks inside makes it easier to keep from freezing and keep clean.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-08-2022, 07:56 AM
In my opinion, tanks are always better inside if you have the room to do it. If outside, it sure is nice to have them covered. Ours is outside, uncovered and you can't keep all the rain out even if you try to cover it plywood, tarps, etc. We just added a tee in the feed line with a valve so it drains back out through the wall. Sugar house expansion starts next year and we will have the room and wall height to put everything inside. That's the only reason we haven't bothered to build a roof over the tank- we do enough things twice or four times in the shack!!

TapTapTap
02-08-2022, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure how you could fit it into the sugarhouse. You'll obviously need to set it above your evaporator and I don't see how that could work. How would you access it for cleaning? My head tank is in the "attic" of our 16x34 sugarhouse. I have a 400 gallon open top SS tank and I barely have room to access it for cleaning with a 12:12 roof pitch. I also agree with others that you really need to cover it too.
Ken

wkies
02-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Love the different perspectives. Previously, I had the luxury to have my head tank in a separate, cooler room. This sugar house is going to be smaller and just one indoor space.

I am worried about the sap getting "warm" if its right near evaporator, I guess I could insulate. But also concerned it has potential to freeze up if its outside. In either case, its vital to have it covered.

Pdiamond
02-08-2022, 09:00 PM
I have a 12 x 16 sugar house with a 2 x 4 smoky lake rig. I have a 50 gallon SS head tank inside that feeds the float box to the evaporator. It has an auto refill on it to pull in sap from outside the sugar house when it gets low. I have very little condensation on the tank.

anchorhd
02-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Inside. Store collected sap outside in barrels packed with snow until boiling time, then pump up to head tank and boil.

minehart gap
02-09-2022, 05:31 AM
There are positives and negatives both ways.
Inside, sap will heat up durring your boil (tank is elevated and hear rises) which causes bacteria to form causing darker and sometimes ropey syrup. That same heat causes condensation but can be reduced by insulating the tank. But it will probably be easier to monitor sap level and clean if inside.
Outside, early in the season, there is a freezing concern typically at the pipe that goes to the evaporator, more chance of contamination from weather or bugs and animals. But cooler sap stays better longer and gadgetry (always cool) can monitor the sap level.
For me, I started with it outside then moved it inside, now moved it back outside. My recommendation would not create a situation that will restrict you. As you grow or change your operation, you may find one head tank location better but that may change too.

NhShaun
02-09-2022, 09:29 AM
I have managed to make syrup for 6 seasons without a head tank, by just dumping buckets into my preheater pan. I am determined to set one up before this season kicks off. I have been trying to decide between inside the sugarshack or outside for a while.
I do remember MapleFlats saying he mounted his tank flush to the outside wall which allowed the valve to be accessible from the inside through a little cutout in the wall. Eliminates the freezing valve issue but still leaves you with the battle against rain, bugs and ash getting in.

BSHC
02-10-2022, 10:05 AM
Mine is a white plastic drum inside the building that I have a float switch in to run a fill pump. I like it inside so I can see there is enough available to be safe and it does not freeze. I have the fill pump come on at 1/3 full. If ever see it below that level, which has happened when the fill hose froze up, its time to act quickly but don't quite have to go full panic as you have a little time to deal with it. If i had an outside tank i would at minimum want some sort of gauge inside the building. If you have open rafters you could mount the drum up high out of the way.

West Sumner Sugar
03-16-2022, 04:07 PM
We actually run 2 head tanks, 1 inside, 1 outside. The outside tank we pump all our raw sap into. Inside we have it set up by just flipping a few valves we can run that raw right into the evaporator, or into the RO then up into the inside head tank and run off that. Once we are done RO'ing raw sap, another flip of a valve and we can RO the head tank.