PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity for larger, but older, rig

mudr
02-04-2022, 04:25 PM
I currently run a Badgerland (smoky lake) 2x6 on a corsair arch. I have a relative that is getting out of sugaring and has offered me his Grimm 3x10. Cast doors, 3ft/7ft pans, raised, and made in 1988, so lead soldered. I know he removed the floats years ago when he first got it because he got mad the float stuck once. I believe he still has the actual floats, and he just trickles sap in from the feed tank. If I recall, the stack is beat up.

Looking at prices on Smoky Lake's website, I can get a new 12" base, stack, jack, and cap, for $1100. If i need new floats, I think SL can make them for $500 a piece. So assuming I need to replace stuff, I'm looking at $2,000. I believe I can sell my current 2x6 plus stack for $3500 or so. So there's money to buy new brick and blanket if I want.

Would this we worth it? I'm definitely going backwards in age of rig, and I'm concerned about the lead solder. I do not sell bulk, and do not see a possibility in the future. But I can triple my boil rate and not spend any extra $.

What does everyone think.

VTnewguy
02-04-2022, 06:45 PM
How many taps do you have? A 3*10 is going to be a hungry beast. Lots of sap and firewood. I honestly would look at a RO. You could find a used 2 post RO for about the same money. Plus no chance for contamination from lead. Lastly, I'm sure your SL pans are in a lot better shape than some 34 year old soldered ones. Overall, nothing wrong with your idea but I would look at getting more efficient rather than bigger,

Pdiamond
02-04-2022, 07:05 PM
I have a question for you, does your corsair arch have the forced air system? Also, are you currently running a raised or drop flue pan. I know that with a 2 x 6 with the AUF you should be getting at least 60 to 70 GPH or better, I get 45 to 50 on my 2 x 4 corsair arch. How many taps are you planning to increase in your operation to feed the 3 x 10?

ecolbeck
02-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Just say no to lead. There is no safe ingestion level. There are lots of other ways to improve the performance of your setup.

therealtreehugger
02-04-2022, 08:11 PM
I would say no, if for no other reason, the lead.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-05-2022, 05:10 AM
I would say no also. The lead is a big turnoff but so is the age of the arch and pans. You’d be further ahead investing in your current setup.

BAP
02-05-2022, 06:13 AM
For the amount of money you would end up tied up into the newer rig, you can buy another used one that is better sized and newer than that. Also, you could buy a new one from someone like A&A or Creekside for about the same or a little more and not have any lead.

TapTapTap
02-05-2022, 12:20 PM
The lead is a show stopper. I'm surprised anyone would suggest it's not.
Ken