PDA

View Full Version : Propane regulator question

PeterHolmes
02-02-2022, 08:59 PM
Hello,

This season I'd like to try using 2-burner propane stoves to boil in full-size restaurant steam-table trays. These stovess have two low-pressure burners rated at 15,000BTU each , so each stove puts out 30,000BTU. I have three trays and plan to buy three stoves, and I'd like to run all three at the same time off a standard 20LB propane tank. I would like to have one regulator off the tank and then tee off three lines to the three stoves.

Can anyone suggest what I should use for the single regulator for this setup?
Low or high pressure, and one or two stage? Any suggestions would be welcome, including if you think this is a crazy idea.

Thanks!

12 taps, boiling on both wood and single burner propane
2019-- 1 gallon
2020-- 1.25 gallons
2021-- 2 gallons
2022-- plan to boil only on propane

amasonry
02-03-2022, 04:04 AM
you might find one 20lb tank does not have enough pressure to run 6 burners and in the cold will probably freeze up. Mabey 3 tanks?

NhShaun
02-03-2022, 05:42 AM
Not entirely sure what regulator you may need, but make sure it's the adjustable type. I have used some propane burners without that feature, which i found odd. It is a lot easier to kill the boil with a single adjustment knob than trying to screw the tank/s all the way off in a hurry. I agree with the previous post as well, you may be better off running 2 or 3 tanks tied together. I think with that many burners, even being low pressure will have you blowing through propane in a jiffy. It would be a real pain trying to swap tanks out in the middle of a boil. Depending how much you're cranking the heat and how long of a boil, you may go through more than 1 single tank.