PDA

View Full Version : Tapping and threading pvc fittings?

gmcooper
01-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I picked up more vacuum gauges today to add to the new boosters I put in. Has anyone had any luck tapping threads into PVC pipe fittings to thread gauges into? These are 1/4 npt. I think it will work but would like to hear if anyone else has tried.

pclandscaper
01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I have tapped pvc fittings for vacuum gauges and it worked fine.

HHM-07
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
it might work i'd put some glue or cement on the treads to prevent any leaks

Dick @ Hobby Hill Maples
170 taps on line
2x4 leader wd- fired

gmcooper
01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys.I had thought about some type of glue or sealant. Think I will use the pvc cement just enough to seal around the threads. Thinking that might be better than Teflon tape?
Mark

Parker
01-19-2008, 05:48 AM
At the Addison county maple school this subject was adressed,,,I had always put my gauges in the booster as well,,,,the people giving the talk "high production tapping" said that they had gotten away from putting the gauge in the booster and now were putting the gauge on the lateral mainline side of the valve,,couple reasons for doing this #1 ease of checking for leaks,,when you get to the booster turn off the valve and see how fast the vacuum drops,,faster it drops,,the worse the leaks,,if you just have minor leaks on that line you might decide to continue checking for bigger leaks on other lines,,,fixing the biggest leaks first then fine tuning later,,,#2 with some of the huge CFM pumps being used a small to medium size leak might be missed it the gauge is on the booster as the pump will overcome this leak (pull more air volume than the leak makes),,,,I plans on steeing my boosters up like this in the futcher........

VA maple guy
01-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Mark, I would use teflon tape not pvc glue. pvc glue won't bond with metal
and can crack or flake off if you so much as bump it. Just try and see how easy it is to remove it from the outside of a used can of glue.
Gerry

Russell Lampron
01-20-2008, 05:21 AM
A roll of Teflon tape is easier to carry in your pocket as you got through the woods and less messy too. You won't have to worry about hazardous chemicals leaching into your sap either.

Russ

maplwrks
01-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Teflon tape will work. I would use a high grade silicone caulk to seal the threads though. The reason being that if your hole is not perfect, the silicone will seal it up. I agree with Parker the most though, put your vacuum guage into an inline manifold. You will get a more accurate reading on the branch mainlines than you will at the booster.