PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready?

bryankloos
01-24-2022, 06:11 AM
Hey All,

Just curious how everyone is doing this year? It seems we are in a great cold spell, hopefully setting us up for a good season.
Is everyone prepared for the season? Much still to do?

I'm probably replacing the bulk of my 3/16th lines this year as well as adding new drops. There are a few small falls that need to be cleared up and I have a fair bit of washing to do.

I'm hopeful this cold spell lasts and I get a few more weeks to get caught up.

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to a good 2022!

Bryan

therealtreehugger
01-24-2022, 07:49 PM
I feel like I am so far behind!

This past summer, the roof in the barn-turned-maple shack started to leak, so I had a metal put on. And what better thing to do while a brand new roof is going on, than to put a hole in it! Now my stack can go straight up though it, instead of two 90 deg turns out the window then up. But this involves double walled ss stack, a ceiling support, more double walled ss up top, stack supports above the roof, all of which is proceeding at a snails pace. Oh yes, and move the evaporator, full of brick, 6" to go directly under the stack, between the ceiling joists.

I have to prep the drops into the trees I have on buckets, about 25 trees, I do two taps that tee into one tube so there is only one hole in the top of one bucket, per tree. I have yet to wash out all the buckets or the sap collection tank, and fix a small section of tubing. Just got a 500' roll of 5/16 tubing to play with!

I am doing a LOT of upgrading this year - I hope I will be able to restrain myself for the next few years and just enjoy what I have done/am doing this year!

SkunkWorks
01-24-2022, 08:52 PM
Basically ready, could add another lateral. Lots a single digit nights, I think it’ll be a while to thaw the permafrost.

Mike Van
01-25-2022, 05:34 AM
Hoping we don't get a lot of snow this Sat. Fun when you were a kid, but it sure makes life harder over 70 - with 100+ taps on buckets.

Gord
01-25-2022, 07:08 AM
Not mine, but happened to see this on CL this morning. Seems like a pretty good deal.
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/d/colchester-2x4-maple-evaporator/7437270092.html

I am pretty much ready. New for this year are, I converted an old garden shed in to my mini sugar shack. Mostly just to be in watching the sap boil. My barrel stove will still be outside, but all my supplies will go in the shed, along with a nice pile of dry wood.
Also added a toy to my collecting chores. A MAX ll 6X6 I picked up and fixed up. That will add a little fun to collecting sap this year.
Looking forward to the season!

Pdiamond
01-25-2022, 07:14 PM
Gord, That CL item would look awfully good in your little sugar house, wouldn't it?

Cjadamec
01-26-2022, 06:03 AM
This weekend is looking like a pretty big snow event. Forecast is for a good 12+ in my neck of the woods. Mid to end of next week looks like there is going to be a pretty big warm up. It's got me wondering if somehow I have enough time to get my lines squared away to catch it and start my season. I missed last year's season due to taking on way too many other projects that took too long to finish. So my tubing lines have 2 years worth of maintenance to catch up on. Not enough time in the day.

Spent all last weekend cleaning up my evaporator, pan, and barrels.

Gord
01-26-2022, 06:29 AM
Gord, That CL item would look awfully good in your little sugar house, wouldn't it?

It sure would! But I'm happy with my barrel stove and flat pan. I like the simplicity of it, and the easy clean up.

CTfarm
01-26-2022, 07:06 AM
Pan, tanks and lines are all cleaned and ready. New RO Bucket rb15 kit is assembled and ready. Still need to cut up a bunch of pallets I'd like to burn and get rid of and vacuum the syrup making area of spider webs.

Trapper2
01-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Pan, tanks and lines are all cleaned and ready. New RO Bucket rb15 kit is assembled and ready. Still need to cut up a bunch of pallets I'd like to burn and get rid of and vacuum the syrup making area of spider webs.
You will love that R.O. bucket! I love mine so much that I purchased a 2nd one and added 100 more taps. A viscous circle.

CTfarm
01-26-2022, 08:18 AM
You will love that R.O. bucket! I love mine so much that I purchased a 2nd one and added 100 more taps. A viscous circle.
I told myself I wasn't going to spend a lot of money this year but I was concerned I wouldn't have enough wood and would have to buy some. I ran out last year. Decided to put the money towards a ro system instead to cut down on wood consumption and boiling time.

Trapper2
01-26-2022, 08:33 AM
I told myself I wasn't going to spend a lot of money this year but I was concerned I wouldn't have enough wood and would have to buy some. I ran out last year. Decided to put the money towards a ro system instead to cut down on wood consumption and boiling time.

No more 50-60 hour continuous boils for me on the weekends since I got my ROs. now I may do 3 or 4 5-6 hour boils per week.

Gord
01-27-2022, 10:53 AM
You will love that R.O. bucket!

+1! One of my best decisions by far. Burn less wood and cut my boil hours down considerably. Plus, great people to work with.

therealtreehugger
01-27-2022, 09:14 PM
Same. Got the RO10 bucket two years ago. Saved a ton of time! And wood!
I typically start the RO an hour ish before I light the fire, and it pretty much keeps pace with the boil.

TheNamelessPoet
01-28-2022, 03:51 PM
Itchin and ready to go. Got my first "real" evaporator pan, and an RB15 bucket. I am ready to GOOOOO!!!

I have a few little idea's and some stuff I will work on while I am boiling, but, my pan is ready, both progane tanks are filled and I am ready to start! Just have to tap my 40-45ish taps!

Sugar Bear
01-28-2022, 05:36 PM
This weekend is looking like a pretty big snow event. Forecast is for a good 12+ in my neck of the woods. Mid to end of next week looks like there is going to be a pretty big warm up. It's got me wondering if somehow I have enough time to get my lines squared away to catch it and start my season. I missed last year's season due to taking on way too many other projects that took too long to finish. So my tubing lines have 2 years worth of maintenance to catch up on. Not enough time in the day.

Spent all last weekend cleaning up my evaporator, pan, and barrels.

My guess is the first warm up won't run so well unless it is really big. We have a good frost line. Just took the Wolf to some ash logs this evening and boy they were frozen good. A deep snowfall will make trunk thawing even slower.

We have more frost in the system this year than we did last year, and last year was slow to answer the call of the change.

Should be an interesting one.

Cjadamec
01-29-2022, 07:05 AM
My guess is the first warm up won't run so well unless it is really big. We have a good frost line. Just took the Wolf to some ash logs this evening and boy they were frozen good. A deep snowfall will make trunk thawing even slower.

We have more frost in the system this year than we did last year, and last year was slow to answer the call of the change.

Should be an interesting one.

Yea I'm inclined to agree with you on this warm up. That is not going to be much of a run. Last couple of forecasts are showing a lot of cold air coming back in behind the warm weather.

If for nothing else the thought of a nice run was the kick in the pants I needed to get out in the woods and tend to the tubing. It was a really nice day to be out in the trees yesterday with the light snow falling. Not too cold and not much wind.

Sugar Bear
01-29-2022, 12:33 PM
Yea I'm inclined to agree with you on this warm up. That is not going to be much of a run. Last couple of forecasts are showing a lot of cold air coming back in behind the warm weather.

If for nothing else the thought of a nice run was the kick in the pants I needed to get out in the woods and tend to the tubing. It was a really nice day to be out in the trees yesterday with the light snow falling. Not too cold and not much wind.

Let the fact be that time is relentless, be the kick in the pants. In the shortness of time, the sap will mean business one way or another.

But crup it is cold out today. Reminds me of winters in Vermont 50 years ago.

Cjadamec
01-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Officially a blizzard in the south east corner of the state. The temps have dropped into the teens and the wind is relentless.

I will worry about snow clean up tomorrow.

bryankloos
01-29-2022, 04:57 PM
I made up about 80 new drops and also reworked the drop-lines for my 6 vac gauges today. It was a good day to be in the garage with the kerosene heater cranking.
If things clear up tomorrow I'll try to get out and run all new 3/16 lines. I have 6 runs that head out from a central collection point, 15-20 taps on each line. If the weather is not nice, I'll start cleaning the 4X2 Mason and pull apart the Sap Sucker for cleaning. Other than cleaning and IBC tote, some 55 gallon barrels and priming the RO I should be set to cut in my drops and tap.

Looking at the weather, there is cold coming in after the warm up. I'm guessing the runs with the warm will be small given the deep freeze we've had in January. I'm holding out for mid February or later at this point, unless some serious warmth comes in.

Agreed on the kick in the pants. The weather has reminded me to get my butt in gear.

Hope you are all warm and toasty this evening!

SkunkWorks
01-29-2022, 08:16 PM
The lows tonight and tomorrow are single digits (4, 5), so I'm thinking the warming Wednesday and Thursday (44, 48) will be insufficient to make for a run.

Seems the SugarBear's Valentine's day prediction will be "just right"

markgm
01-30-2022, 08:47 AM
Not only that, but the forecast for those warm days keeps trending down, so I doubt they'll wind up running at all. Hopefully some snow will melt and I can run my lines next weekend.

lafite
01-30-2022, 09:45 AM
I'm still targeting mid Feb. Not worth having my taps dry early to chase a (potential) 2 day run this week. I looks like another cool down after next weekend. It's also going to be sad since my sugaring dog passed away last month. She had been the best company for 11 years.

Pdiamond
01-30-2022, 07:42 PM
That's a real bummer. Sorry to hear about you losing man's best friend. It is really tough as they are soooo much a part of the family.

Gord
01-31-2022, 06:48 AM
It's also going to be sad since my sugaring dog passed away last month. She had been the best company for 11 years.

Sorry about your dog. As you can see in my avatar, they are great company for long days of boiling.

valleyman
02-02-2022, 10:39 AM
I'm still targeting mid Feb. Not worth having my taps dry early to chase a (potential) 2 day run this week. I looks like another cool down after next weekend. It's also going to be sad since my sugaring dog passed away last month. She had been the best company for 11 years.

Sorry for your loss brother.

valleyman
02-02-2022, 10:41 AM
I’m thinking around Feb 20 for me in southern Ct

lafite
02-02-2022, 03:40 PM
If anyone is looking for a feeder pan/pre-heater, I have a smoky lake 2' pan with valve and clips (5 gallon). Stainless steel and will sell for $175 or BO. It sells for $225 on their website.

voluntucky tapper
02-03-2022, 02:51 AM
hi ,just introducing myself,i'm here in s.e. ct .. been dumping buckets for 7 or 8 years making a few gallons a season , running mostly drop lines and a couple dozen tree hanger pales .wood fired evap, home made R.O.

Cjadamec
02-05-2022, 10:34 AM
Weather this coming week looks pretty good for me to get my season started down here on the coast. Highs in the 40s with some sun and nights in the 20s all week.

Setting all my taps this weekend and with any luck I will be boiling by the end of the week. Went CV taps this year but I'm not crazy about how loose they feel in the tubing.

Mike Van
02-05-2022, 11:07 AM
I'm looking at this Wed. the 9th here in Kent - I hope the ice on the snow softens a little, really tough walking right now.

SkunkWorks
02-05-2022, 04:59 PM
The frozen tundra of my backyard and tonight’s low of 3 suggest it will be a while …

Cjadamec
02-05-2022, 05:25 PM
The frozen tundra of my backyard and tonight’s low of 3 suggest it will be a while …

That's the fun part my weather and back yard on the coast line is very different than yours in the interior of the state.

bryankloos
02-06-2022, 03:32 PM
I was just down in the woods setting up the sap sucker, running power and running 1/2" transfer line from the woods to my driveway.
It was incredibly icy and tough to walk... My son was doing the crab walk as he helped me with some of the work. Its always good to be in the woods with the kids!

This week looks good for me weather wise, but then looking cold again towards the weekend and into next week. I'm on the fence if all this ice and snow will be gone. I'm in Weston, but low in the Trout Brook Valley and the cold tends to stick around a few extra days. My thoughts are that the ground is still well frozen and this week's thaw should take care of that but not sure how much sap I'd get. As I still need to cut in about 80 new drops I may just focus this week towards prep and plan to tap next week with the next thaw. I'm very curious to hear how this week works for those who tap now. I guess I'll see how motivated I get in the next day or two...

Cjadamec
02-06-2022, 04:02 PM
After a lot of hours this weekend in the woods I'm all tapped in and ready to go. All the trees seem that to run and all of the trees in the sun were running when drilled. My snow cover from the blizzard is already gone and the afternoon sun is making the ground soft.

The next few days for me should be telling from now until Wednesday night looks like it's above freezing. The rest of the week is looking great.

CTfarm
02-06-2022, 05:05 PM
Put in 85 taps today. Sugar maples around the house and in the sun were running. Hopeful sign for the coming week. Will tap 28 tomorrow.

SkunkWorks
02-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Get much sap? I’d be surprised if it really runs, given how gold it’s been.

FOMA

Cjadamec
02-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Get much sap? I’d be surprised if it really runs, given how gold it’s been.

FOMA

Ask me again on Tuesday afternoon. For me the next two days are well above freezing and the ground has lost most of it's cold thanks to all the rain here. The rest of the week looks great for highs and lows.

Kcorey
02-07-2022, 05:47 AM
Hello all. This is my first year "tapping" by myself - usually do it with my uncle but has has since moved to Tennessee. I am in North Madison, im thinking i should tap in the next couple of days ? Thanks for the input!

TheNamelessPoet
02-07-2022, 10:44 AM
Hello all. This is my first year "tapping" by myself - usually do it with my uncle but has has since moved to Tennessee. I am in North Madison, im thinking i should tap in the next couple of days ? Thanks for the input!Good Luck!

My grandfather came out with me yesterday to put in my 35 or so taps at a friends house. Was great doing it with him. I hadn't really thought about him helping in the woods but man he was a LIFE saver putting the buckets at the tree with a drop line and top so I could just drill and put it all together.

I am going to do the 5 or so taps at my house today with my daughter. Gotta keep the family going! I did it 30 or so years ago with him, and when i bought a house it had a couple maples on it for this reason. My 5 year old LOVES helping me collect it, and in a couple years she can come to my friends house and help also.

Cjadamec
02-08-2022, 03:06 PM
Well it's definitely running as well as I've ever seen my 3/16" lines run.

Of my 3 lines only one was slowly moving last night. All 3 were active this morning. Temps got up to 48 this afternoon. About 35 gallons so far today and plenty more on the way. Seems like a really nice start to what should be a good first run of the season.

Mike Van
02-08-2022, 03:10 PM
Never got over 36 here, after 2 PM though every tap I did was dripping -

SkunkWorks
02-08-2022, 05:41 PM
Drilled in about 50 on 3/16, nice flow, game on!

Cjadamec
02-08-2022, 06:33 PM
Went around and collected what I had at 6pm. Total haul was a full 55gallon drum of sap.

Everything was still flowing really well. If tomorrow has the same results I'm gonna have to get my fire going and start boiling.

Rich R
02-09-2022, 07:53 AM
Tapped on Monday, running pretty good yesterday, 400 taps so far, putting out 30 more in bags today.
Willington, CT

Cjadamec
02-09-2022, 05:54 PM
Another 50 gallons today and fire under the pan. Gonna be a busy week.

Woodsrover
02-09-2022, 07:02 PM
Was at the Boy Scout Klondike Derby on Saturday and fell on the ice. Ruptured my bicep. Ouch. Had planned on tapping last Sunday but couldn't move my left arm. Have called in some friends this for this Saturday and hope to get 200 taps in. Gonna be a light season while I get this arm working again...

Cjadamec
02-09-2022, 07:52 PM
That's a rough way to start the season. I wish you a speedy recovery, and many extra hands to help.

SkunkWorks
02-09-2022, 08:55 PM
Please let me know if help is needed, Morey road, Sharon

Coltron23
02-10-2022, 05:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time poster, but long time lurker. My father and I started making syrup last year on a 20x30" "Vermont Evaporator Company" pan on a homemade 55gal drum arch. We had about 40 taps going into buckets in the woods where it tends to be cold and swampy, but we finished off 6 gallons off Maple Syrup and 1/2 gallon of Birch Syrup after maple season (never again).

This year we escalated things very quickly. We built a 16x20' Jamaica Cottage Sugar Shack, Bought a forced air Mason 2x3XL arch and pan, switched to a vacuum setup, and I am currently finishing up my RO setup.

My father and I tapped about 100 trees last evening while the vacuum was running and by the time we were finished, we had over 20 gallons of sap collected.

I still have a lot to learn about this hobby, but I couldn't be more excited. Happy Sugarin' everyone!

lafite
02-10-2022, 05:32 PM
Almost all tapped in Cheshire. 88 taps in with another 15 or so to go. I collected 50 gallons so far and I will start the fire tomorrow! I hope the new system is tight with no leaks... Good luck out in the bush!

CTguy923
02-11-2022, 09:31 AM
mine are going in today, hoping between today and tomorrow i'll get enough to do a quick boil sunday or monday while its cold to make sure everything is running ok

7gardengirl
02-11-2022, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone, I am a brand new rookie this year, half dozen taps, I know it's not much at all, but I tapped on Tuesday, had good results weds Feb 9th, but nothing on Thursday (yesterday) and barely dripping today......did I do something wrong or is this normal? Am I too early

bryankloos
02-11-2022, 02:50 PM
Slow here…. Cut in 74 drops with another 35 to go.
All my totes and barrels are washed. Transfer lines are in place from the bush to the house.
I figure I’ll tap next week in anticipation of the next good cycle. Seems a warm up is scheduled mid week with things looking good towards next weekend.

I’m jealous of you guys who are collecting. Time seems to be tighter than usual for me this year.

Hopeful for a great second half of Feb into March.

TheNamelessPoet
02-11-2022, 03:36 PM
Hello everyone, I am a brand new rookie this year, half dozen taps, I know it's not much at all, but I tapped on Tuesday, had good results weds Feb 9th, but nothing on Thursday (yesterday) and barely dripping today......did I do something wrong or is this normal? Am I too early Ellington, I am in Tolland, not to far away!

Nope not to early. If the weather is right, you are in! Be careful not to hammer the taps in too deep, I made that mistake my 1st year on my own (2 years ago). buckets? If you do have buckets and a tube down into the bucket, make sure its not far from teh top of the bucket. At night if its in the sap, it can actually draw it back up into the tree!

Most importantly... have fun!

Oh... and welcome to the addiction lol

Cjadamec
02-11-2022, 03:41 PM
Collected about 70 gallons today. Everything is still running and doesn't show signs of slowing. Not sure it will continue to run until the next freeze on Sunday but if it does I'm going to be drowning. My 2x4 pan is going to be working it's butt off this weekend.

SkunkWorks
02-11-2022, 06:50 PM
Me too, “heavy flow days.”

2.4%

Sugar Bear
02-11-2022, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone, I am a brand new rookie this year, half dozen taps, I know it's not much at all, but I tapped on Tuesday, had good results weds Feb 9th, but nothing on Thursday (yesterday) and barely dripping today......did I do something wrong or is this normal? Am I too early

Last year was a good long freeze up before any run time, and the first run was a bit slow where I am and several others had the same experience.

This year we had even more cold and more frost in the ground and more frozen stumpage. And of course ice blocks and jams are floating down the Mid Hudson Valley, a good barometer of the harshness of the winter. And like it or not, the ground is still Rock hard only about 1 inch under and is just beginning to soften up.

I imagine larger trunks take longer to thaw then smaller ones.

So I am not surprised to hear uplanders complaining that sap is slow on this first run. If we had not had such a cold winter I would be surprised ...I.E. suspect you had done something wrong.

The one guy here that is "gushing" and "drowning" is adjacent to Long Island Sound tidal water. A different bit of geo thermal altogether. And certainly a provider of a different ballgame altogether. Not sure if he is using vacuum or not.

With that said I would like my taps On Tubing/Natural vacuum/ mechanical vacuum in for this first run but unfortunately will not get them in until this coming Monday or Tuesday in time for the second run. They are more capable of dealing with and making the best of this "thaw out run".

I also have some drops to buckets that even if I were not running behind would not have tapped until after this "thaw out run".

I would recommend that drops to buckets wait out the first run after a bitter cold winter. For the reasons that you are experiencing. They just don't do well enough in the "thaw out run"

Now if the winter had not been so cold it might be a bit of a different situation.

But it was old fashioned cold.

I would not muck with your taps. I doubt you did anything wrong.

I think you will do better in the next run and probably even better in the run after that.

Let me know, I will be curious.

Cjadamec
02-11-2022, 07:02 PM
Last year was a good long freeze up before any run time, and the first run was a bit slow where I am and several others had the same experience.

This year we had even more cold and more frost in the ground and more frozen stumpage. And of course ice blocks and jams are floating down the Mid Hudson Valley, a good barometer of the harshness of the winter. And like it or not, the ground is still Rock hard only about 1 inch under and is just beginning to soften up.

I imagine larger trunks take longer to thaw then smaller ones.

So I am not surprised to hear uplanders complaining that sap is slow on this first run. If we had not had such a cold winter I would be surprised ...I.E. suspect you had done something wrong.

The one guy here that is "gushing" and "drowning" is adjacent to Long Island Sound tidal water. A different bit of geo thermal altogether. And certainly a provider of a different ballgame altogether. Not sure if he is using vacuum or not.

With that said I would like my taps On Tubing/Natural vacuum/ mechanical vacuum in for this first run but unfortunately will not get them in until this coming Monday or Tuesday in time for the second run. They are more capable of dealing with and making the best of this "thaw out run".

I also have some drops to buckets that even if I were not running behind would not have tapped until after this "thaw out run".

I would recommend that drops to buckets wait out the first run after a bitter cold winter. For the reasons that you are experiencing. They just don't do well enough in the "thaw out run"

Now if the winter had not been so cold it might be a bit of a different situation.

But it was old fashioned cold.

I would not muck with your taps. I doubt you did anything wrong.

I think you will do better in the next run and probably even better in the run after that.

Let me know, I will be curious.

All my lines are 3/16 gravity vacuum. With between 110 feet to 75 feet of elevation top to bottom. So yea I'm on vacuum.

Like he said I am very much NOT your typical CT syrup maker season wise. The coast line of CT has a hardiness zone of six which puts me more like New Jersey weather. I am normally 2 to 3 weeks ahead of you guys further inland.

voluntucky tapper
02-12-2022, 01:58 AM
hey ,good luck ,,keep it fun

CTfarm
02-12-2022, 06:00 AM
I collected 160 gallons this week averaging 2.1 sugar. I'm
guessing there is maybe 20 more to collect this morning. Ran half of it through the ro last night and will run the rest this morning. Boil today .

Cjadamec
02-12-2022, 10:30 AM
Thermometer in the front yard is reading 65F and it's not even noon. All the trees have slowed down or just plain old stopped running this morning.

It's a beautiful day to be outside boiling. Have another 70 gallons or so to get fed into the pan should be able to try out my new propane finishing setup tomorrow.

Mike Van
02-12-2022, 03:28 PM
My run ran out too - Never quite got to 60, yet there's green buds on the lilacs. Pumping sap into the tank, a fly landed on the lid. Is it March 12th or February 12th ? A week ago it was 0 here. I'll be lighting up tomorrow, get everything sticky again.

lafite
02-12-2022, 03:58 PM
boiled down 130 gallons of sap. Temp was at 216...and out of sap. At least the pan is sweet and there will be a couple cold days to protect it.

Tobey802
02-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Im in the same boat.. had 110 gallons and was at 215 degrees when I ran out of sap. Can’t wait for the next run!

therealtreehugger
02-12-2022, 09:47 PM
I am behind. Not tapped yet. Last week my friends and I installed the new double walled stove pipe through the new roof, my partner in crime is hopefully scrubbing out the sap collection tank and will clean the pan as well, I still have to fix one section of tubing, and clean out all the buckets (24 buckets).
I am reading about everyone’s first run, and I’m not ready yet! The plan is to tap early next week.

Cjadamec
02-13-2022, 01:39 PM
Found out today that my new propane finisher works great. Finally picked up a hydrometer and cup so no more guessing about how accurate my digital thermometer is.

Remembered just how much I hate filtering.

The end result is 3.5 gallons of syrup finished and in jars. Next couple of days are nice and cold so time for a bit of a rest before the next run.

7gardengirl
02-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Aahh thanks for responding! I feel better now. Will post again in a few weeks. I'm ready

voluntucky tapper
02-13-2022, 01:55 PM
100 gal of sap for 1 1/2 gallon syrup ,luv my RO

Woodsrover
02-14-2022, 05:39 AM
Called in a couple friends because of my bum shoulder and with the help on Saturday I got the bulk of my trees tapped. Got the remainder in Sunday afternoon and finished up at 6:00pm. First boil should be this Saturday.

CTfarm
02-14-2022, 03:35 PM
boiled down 130 gallons of sap. Temp was at 216...and out of sap. At least the pan is sweet and there will be a couple cold days to protect it.
Same for me here in Durham. Ran 195 gallons of 2% sap through the ro leaving me with 95 gallons of 3.9%. Filled the pan up (25 gallons) leaving me with 60 to boil off and 10 to cool down. Never drew off. Did reach 216 degrees. But like you the pan is sweet and it's bitterly cold. I did enjoy the time boiling and the beer was good .

Person25
02-15-2022, 12:14 PM
Hey All,

It was killing me to not be collecting that first run last week and seeing everyone here collecting and boiling but I just wasnt ready. I feel much better now though that Im prepared and good to go. Spent last week setting up/installing new drops, cleaning the buckets and barrels. Fired up the RO, washed the membranes.

While you all were boiling I was cleaning up the shack from all the clutter since last season. Laid a new floor down (should have used 3/4 plywood instead of 1/2 when we built it years ago).

Im going to slam in 75 taps in Middlefield to start today, and then 25 or so in Somers and get this season started. Should see a run for the rest of the week after todays cold snap breaks. Maybe I'll have a reason to day drink over the weekend and get the season started.

aviboy97
02-16-2022, 06:24 PM
I tapped this week and was hoping for a big run today. Didn’t get much out of my 40 taps and all of my taps are leaking. I used a new 5/16 maple bit and didn’t drive the tap too hard. I don’t get it.

First year stringing lines between trees using gravity. Not sure if it’s working well or not. Hopefully better run tomorrow.

Not a good start to the season for me

Cjadamec
02-16-2022, 07:11 PM
I tapped this week and was hoping for a big run today. Didn’t get much out of my 40 taps and all of my taps are leaking. I used a new 5/16 maple bit and didn’t drive the tap too hard. I don’t get it.

First year stringing lines between trees using gravity. Not sure if it’s working well or not. Hopefully better run tomorrow.

Not a good start to the season for me

Wait until tomorrow it was very cold for the past couple of days. It didn't get warm enough for long enough yet to get things moving again.

Have faith and pray the squirrels and deer leave your tubbing alone. I had to make 10 repairs in just one run this afternoon.

lafite
02-17-2022, 07:32 AM
had a good 50+ gallon collection this morning. Hoping to light the fire since it's full of sweet since Saturday.

Cjadamec
02-17-2022, 07:44 AM
Did a quick check this morning before heading to work and all my lines are full of sap and running great. Was a little worried I didn't get all the animal bites in the tubing last night before it got dark.

I have too many dead oaks and ash trees in my woods to go out in the wind tomorrow hopefully I won't need to pack a saw with me to make my next round of repairs.

Person25
02-17-2022, 10:26 AM
Had a run start sometime overnight, it was about 47 degrees at 6:30am where I am. Running very well today. Collected 75 gal this morning, fired up the RO and were off...

CTfarm
02-18-2022, 06:58 AM
I collected 105 gallons yesterday afternoon on 115 taps. Still running as I was collecting.

Cjadamec
02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Another 120 gallons or so of sap in two days. When I collected this afternoon the lines were slowing down to stopped. Air temp is dropping like a rock gonna be a chilly night to be outside boiling.

Person25
02-18-2022, 04:19 PM
Collected another 205 gal in the past 24 hours on 75 gravity lines. Just came in from the bush 5pm. The run tapered right off to almost nothing since about noon. Not to bad of a short run, 275-280 gallons in two days. Thursday’s run was at about 4.5 brix and what came in this afternoon was at 3.4 brix. Easily up to 9.5brix once jammed through the RO.

lafite
02-18-2022, 05:02 PM
I also noticed the sugar was 3.2% measuring yesterday.

lafite
02-20-2022, 09:42 AM
This is a difficult start. I have a new hood and preheater but my Smoky Lake float box purchased 9 years ago doesn't have a drain for glass site. I'm boiling higher than I normally would since I can't see directly into the pan. I've boiled 150 gallons and still haven't drawn off yet. The sap has frozen and thawed since last week (frozen again today). I'm hoping I don't get ropey syrup as a result.

SkunkWorks
02-20-2022, 07:00 PM
Re Lafite's 3.2%: Wow, that's really high. I'm at 2.5% which is high for me, lots of reds.

Aaron Stack
02-21-2022, 02:38 AM
Re Lafite's 3.2%: Wow, that's really high. I'm at 2.5% which is high for me, lots of reds.

I'm hoping the high sugar content comes north just over the CT/MA line today.

Gord
02-21-2022, 08:14 AM
Had my highest sugar content in this weekends boil I've ever had. I don't have a way to measure the sap yet, so I can only go by how much finished syrup I get out of how much sap I started with. And this first boil of the year in NE CT was the most. Very Happy!

TheNamelessPoet
02-21-2022, 08:49 AM
I managed to get my 40 or so gallons down to about 35-40 brix. I put it in the freezer. I am going to have a heck of a time getting todays down to under 5 gallons so I can get it into the freezer for tomorrow lol. I am most likely not going to be able to boil very much until Wednesday. I am going to have to finish off what I have in the fridge tonight while the RO is running I think.

Good thing about this time of year... I don't have to worry about running the humidifiers lol House gets nice and steamy finishing on the stove lol.

I've been getting a steady 2ish% which is fantastic for me with 90% reds at least. I was getting about 1.25-1.5% my 1st year with mostly just the silver/red's in my yard. I think the silver gives MAYBE 1% lol

markgm
02-21-2022, 12:16 PM
My sugar content (this far) has also been uncharacteristically high (all reds). I'll take it!

bryankloos
02-22-2022, 04:44 PM
Seems I'm following with the sugar trend.

I tapped 2 days ago and have 100 gallons in my IBC, guessing another 25-30 in the collection barrel in the woods.
I'm reading 2% which for me is the highest I've seen in 4 years of doing this. I'm all reds (maybe a sugar or 4 in there) and usually come in at 1.5% on good runs and 1% on later runs.
I'm hopeful this keeps up as I was late to tap and have a lot of random crap on the schedule over the next few weeks with work.

That said, if anyone needs sap, I'll probably have more than I can RO and boil unless my schedule opens up. **** work!

Cjadamec
02-22-2022, 05:39 PM
What a warm wet and windy night for February. Tough night to be boiling but I want to get the sap I have from yesterday and today cooking before the mid 60s weather tomorrow.

Aaron Stack
02-22-2022, 06:12 PM
The sugar content has come north! Averaging a solid 2%, and my lone Norway maple at the house had three gallons tonight at 3%. Keep it comin!

CTfarm
02-23-2022, 04:17 PM
Well, that was a nice run last night. 140 gallons on 120 taps. Still left 20-30 more out there, but had to run some through the RO to make some room. Sugar was still around 2-2.1. Boiling away now.

Person25
02-23-2022, 05:55 PM
Agreed, very good run Tuesday then overnight into most of today. All told 290 gallons on 75 taps. Tuesdays sap was at 2.5 and what I just brought in is down around 2.1 a far cry from the 4.5 it was last week. The Ro will be working overtime for sure.

Mike Van
02-24-2022, 04:32 AM
hot days like yesterday [70 degrees] have hurt me in the past more than helped - the bacteria just thrives & runs are never as good after. Time will tell.

bryankloos
02-24-2022, 09:12 AM
Has anyone seen a decrease in sugar yet?
I unfortunately had to dump 250 gallons of 2% yesterday as I don't have time to boil this weekend (traveling for Bode's Make-A-Wish trip).
I'm hoping I can refill the tanks this weekend with the same or better...
Thanks.
BK

lafite
02-25-2022, 07:10 AM
2 days ago the extended run started to drop to 1.5%

CTguy923
02-25-2022, 10:22 AM
are we ever going to get a decent stretch of weather here, this is getting frustrating to say the least

Cjadamec
02-25-2022, 10:50 AM
This current storm is a mess. Had a solid 3 inches of little ball bearings of sleet covering my back deck this morning. Gonna have to rush to get everything cleaned up with all the cold air coming in behind everything.

Most of next week is looking to cold to let much sap run. Something about the month of March and lions.

Mike Van
02-26-2022, 09:00 AM
are we ever going to get a decent stretch of weather here, this is getting frustrating to say the least Seems like a slow start, but still early - Last year I boiled off just over 1900 gal/sap, only 300 came in Feb., the rest in Mar.

CTfarm
02-26-2022, 03:35 PM
are we ever going to get a decent stretch of weather here, this is getting frustrating to say the least
Last year I collected 1200 gallons. I'm already at 595 gallons this year. I'm optimistic for this season.

Cjadamec
02-26-2022, 04:04 PM
Same this season has be off to a great start I'm at 600 gallons of sap so far. It's as strong of a start to the year as I've had. Maybe not as steady of a sap flow but the on and off strong runs have added up quickly.

Cjadamec
03-02-2022, 05:36 AM
Noticed the lines were running last night as the sun went down. Wasn't much in my barrels as I emptied them out last week before the cold snap. Looked at one of my barrels this morning and there's 40 gallons in it. Looks like I'm gonna have plenty enough to boil this weekend.

bryankloos
03-02-2022, 07:15 AM
I'm finally going to get the evaporator running today after many delays and 250 gallons of dumped sap.
I have about 100 gallons of RO concentrate to work through, still 100 gallons of sap, and it looks like things may run again today.
Time to get busy!

Person25
03-02-2022, 03:01 PM
I noticed the same thing, last night, the lines were thawed and running slowly. This morning I was half surprised to see 120gal waiting to be picked. It was a nice break for a few days, gave me time to rinse collection barrels, rinse the Ro and get everything back to fresh but now it’s back on. . I assume it’s still flowing out there now, 4pm, at 41 degrees. Was measuring about 1.75 brix.

lafite
03-02-2022, 05:58 PM
unexpected nice run in Cheshire. I boiled for 7 hours today and made 3.8 gallons of near-up. I'm a bit frustrated with my new setup. My smoky lake float box, purchased 9 years ago, is having issues. It also was fabricated before the sight glass configuration was compatible with it. I'm getting 20GPH now. I was hoping for more with the addition of the backflip preheater. I'm running at 2.5 inches at the lowest setting my float box will allow. They said that I could send it in at the end of the season and they would adjust it and add valves to accept the sight glass...

CTfarm
03-03-2022, 06:10 AM
Collected 135 gallons of 2.2 percent sap yesterday and ran it through the RO for 65 gallons of 4.4 percent. Boiled for 2.5 hours and drew of 2.5 gallons of syrup. You got to love the RO and a sweet pan.

Cjadamec
03-03-2022, 04:17 PM
Another 40 gallons today. Not bad for the weather. I'm reading 2-3 brix in my sap which is pretty good for my trees. Evap is up and running gotta make room in storage for what is going to run Saturday.

Person25
03-03-2022, 07:29 PM
345 gal between yesterday and today at noon, on 75 taps. It was still running well at noon so I’m sure there’s more out there, didn’t get a chance to check tonight. Measuring back up to 2.5 today. Going to be a busy weekend.

Gord
03-04-2022, 07:30 AM
Boiled for 2.5 hours and drew of 2.5 gallons of syrup.

WOW, That's impressive! 65 gallons of concentrate would be an all day, and in to the night process for me.

CTfarm
03-05-2022, 06:37 AM
WOW, That's impressive! 65 gallons of concentrate would be an all day, and in to the night process for me.
I'm amazed too. Boiled again yesterday for 3 hours and drew off another 2.5+ gallons. First draw was only an hour and a half into my boil. What a difference a RO makes. First year using one.

bryankloos
03-06-2022, 10:06 AM
RO is a gamechanger...
I'm looking into building a bigger unit after this season.
I cant even imagine how much more wood I would use without the RO....
Happy Sugaring!

Mike Van
03-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Too hot here today - ARGRRH!!!

CTfarm
03-06-2022, 04:36 PM
140 gallons collected today. Nice run. Sugar is still staying above 2%. Taps are still running. Tonight wife's making pancakes for dinner. Mmm.

Woodsrover
03-06-2022, 05:57 PM
Haven't been on the board for a while. I'll try to read through and see how your guys are doing.

Shoulder is getting better but still pretty sore.

RO'd and boiled 400 gallons yesterday on a sweet pan and another 300 today. Have probably 10 gallons to bottle Tuesday.

Looks like decent week coming up? A few Cub Scout and Boy Scout events to attend Sunday so Friday night and Saturday will be busy!!

Person25
03-06-2022, 08:44 PM
Really warm today, I’m sure I’ll find my barrels full tomorrow but not sure how well it will hold up in this warm weather. This week looks like we should run but it’s going to be alot warmer than I’d like to see. I noticed with weekends boil that were getting a good bit darker and dirtier with what was drawing off. While next week looks decent, the week following looks pretty warm so I’m thinking this week might be my last for the year. What do you all think?

Kcorey
03-07-2022, 05:34 AM
I am thinking this week is probably the last of it as well, with looking at the weather for the following week here in Madison. Looks like it is going to be too warm during the evenings .

Cjadamec
03-07-2022, 03:28 PM
I was ready to call an end to things this week as well. Of course mother nature decided to change my mind for at least today. Wasn't expecting to come home today to a full barrel of 2.5% sap one of my runs.

Looks like I'm gonna have to run the evaporator one more time before I call it quits.

Mike Van
03-07-2022, 03:48 PM
I see more frost in the near future, at least up in Kent - Cooler days too. I've only got about 1/3 of the sap i need to make it an average year - In it 'till the fat lady sings.........

Cjadamec
03-07-2022, 03:53 PM
This last unexpected collection brings me up to about 1000 gallons of sap for the year on 60 taps.

I've got a timing chain job on one of my cars that rapidly clawing it's way to the top of my priority list.

Kcorey
03-07-2022, 04:45 PM
I collected 130 gallons today in north Madison . Tested at only 1% sugar . I dumped it .

I was ready to call an end to things this week as well. Of course mother nature decided to change my mind for at least today. Wasn't expecting to come home today to a full barrel of 2.5% sap one of my runs.

Looks like I'm gonna have to run the evaporator one more time before I call it quits.

Person25
03-07-2022, 05:57 PM
I collected 275 gal this Am that ran Sat/Sun/Mon morning. It smelt ok, was cool and tested at 2% so I ran it through the RO, it came up to 6 in a quick pass and tasted fine so I set it in a cool place to store. We'll see if it lasts till Saturday. This afternoon what had collected since the Am was warm and I swear I smelt some funk in it, so I tipped that barrel. I think there will be some more to collect this week, but I get discouraged this time of year with the quality of the end product.

I'm at about 1300 gallons processed on 75 taps this year, which is more than my average amount of sap. Actually, I have way more finished syrup than I normally do and will be looking for an outlet once I wrap up. It feels like it went quick this year, but looking back in my records, I never go much past the second week in march anyways even though other growers sometimes go much longer. I'm happy either way, the trees have been good to me.

lafite
03-07-2022, 06:48 PM
called it a season after yesterday's 10 hour boil. I need time to prep for cleanup and I have to travel for work. Good season over all with 14 gallons of syrup. My bladder on my filter press burst when I was finishing the sweet in the pan. I have another 5 gallons to finish when I sort that out. I hope everyone is having a good season!

TheNamelessPoet
03-08-2022, 09:11 AM
I see more frost in the near future, at least up in Kent - Cooler days too. I've only got about 1/3 of the sap i need to make it an average year - In it 'till the fat lady sings.........

Amen Brotha!!!

with the RO I don't care if it is 1%. il just run it thru an extra time!

I'm not ready to call it quits, I want to get to 5 gallons! I am a greedy SOB lol

bryankloos
03-08-2022, 08:13 PM
I still have 30 gallons of concentrate to boil, a full/deep pan of sweet, and expect to collect more in the days ahead.
I'm starting to run low on firewood and also realizing that with fuel oil at the price it is, the firewood may be best saved for the house!?!?!
I'm usually getting tired of loading the woodstove this time of year and am happy to burn a little oil to keep the wife and kids happy, but this year may be different.
We shall see what the next week brings, but then I'll probably hang it up. I've got about 14 gallons thus far and another 5ish between the concentrate and the pan...
BK

Person25
03-09-2022, 10:51 AM
Im sitting on about 50 gal of concentrate as well, I will probably collect whatever runs tomorrow as it todays weather should trigger a run. Not sure I have enough time to invest in much more than what runs tomorrow though. Boil off on saturday for one last hoorah and start the cleanup process next week. My wood pile is getting pretty low too, looking to do a refil in the next few weeks on that. Plus I still have to filter and bottle what will end up being 20-25 gal of finished syrup, and finsih off the few gallons of sweet.

Side note: I've always used ball quart mason jars and have plenty in stock, but i had been looking at doing some plastic for a change. Good luck finding quart plastic jugs, thats what I found out, so scrap that idea.

Mike Van
03-10-2022, 02:47 PM
So this is weird - Last year, almost from day 1 I had moths in every pail - sometimes 8 of them - This year, i've had 1 moth in a pail, thats it. Maybe they're endangered now? I have drown 3 mice this year, that is new.

CTSap4Maple
03-10-2022, 03:18 PM
Collected about 150 gallons today. Looks clear. Haven’t heard any peepers and not many buds on the trees near me. Hoping for a last run?

Triple G Sugar Shack
03-11-2022, 07:55 AM
CTSap4Maple, here in Avon hoping to finish up this weekend. Will have about 200gal collected then RO. Still have 2x6 full of sweet. Where are you in Simsbury?

TheNamelessPoet
03-11-2022, 09:37 AM
I am thinkin that this may be the one last Hurrah today.... altho Monday it is possible. i am so annoyed with myself. I took the needle valve off my RO last time I ran permeate through to to keep it fresh, and I for got to put it back on. not a big deal right, well my buddy was going to drop off 50 gallons today from yesterday so I could RO it while I am at work. Now I am in BIG trouble this weekend. going to have to boil off some raw saw I think. Ive got about 100 gallons and at 3is gallons an hour, I am awful glad I have the RO lmao.

Gord
03-11-2022, 10:07 AM
So this is weird - Last year, almost from day 1 I had moths in every pail - sometimes 8 of them - This year, i've had 1 moth in a pail, thats it. Maybe they're endangered now? I have drown 3 mice this year, that is new.

Same here. Last year I was straining the raw sap in to my storage container just to keep the moths out. This entire season I had 3. One of those was this morning.

bryankloos
03-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Calling it quits today. I’m boiling off the last of my concentrate and will drain the pan as I’m leaving town for the weekend.

That said, my transfer pump is filling the 275 IBC as we speak. I have good vacuum in the lines and the sap is flowing. I’ll see how much I collect over the weekend and dump. I’m tired and ready to start the clean up process.

It’s funny how every year at this time of the season I can honk about how to do better next year. What even is doing better? More finished sap? Better color? Less work? More efficiency?

This year I dumped 250 gallons of food first season sap as I was too busy. I’ll also probably dump another 250 of late season sap from this weekend.

Next year I will build up a bigger RO to get me through 275 gallons in hours versus days and allow me to bring my 1.5% up to 8-10% versus boiling at 4-6%.

It may be time also to speak with Bill about a four pan and floats for the 2x4 XL.

Anyhow, I hope you are all enjoying the last days and have fun things on the horizon.

I wish health and happiness to you all!

Bryan

CTfarm
03-11-2022, 04:41 PM
Collected my last 130 gallons the last 2 days. Some of the taps have dried up and some are too cloudy to keep. I will run it through the RO tomorrow and finish boiling it and the sweet in the pan this weekend. First time the sap dropped below 2 percent this year. A very good year all and all. Really had a good time. Next up garden and hay season. See y'all next year.

CTSap4Maple
03-14-2022, 10:03 AM
CTSap4Maple, here in Avon hoping to finish up this weekend. Will have about 200gal collected then RO. Still have 2x6 full of sweet. Where are you in Simsbury?

I’m in West Simsbury on the Canton border. Totes were frozen this weekend, so we will see what today and the overnight brings. I’ll boil that and the sweet and I’m done.

CTguy923
03-14-2022, 03:19 PM
i,m over in Torrington on the New Hartford line, mine are running decent today, hoping they'll run thru out the night like last week and give me a good amount tomorrow, thinking wednesday may be it over here

voluntucky tapper
03-14-2022, 04:39 PM
i.m in Voluntown . doing the same thing ,collecting one more time sometime this week ,pulling tap /n /buckets ,wash and put away on the weekend,while boiling........then it's on to the boat i.m redoing ,,,1976 <Mako classic 23' center console

Mike Van
03-15-2022, 04:32 AM
Mondays run stopped here, as we had 30 degrees this AM - Buys us another day at least. No dark syrup yet, that'll probably change this week.

therealtreehugger
03-15-2022, 10:08 AM
Yesterday, I collected sap and pulled the taps from the buckets at the same time. Had planned on having the last boil on Sunday, but the sap tank was half frozen! So yesterday was it. I have 6.25 gal bottled so far, and another 4-5 waiting in pots to finish.

Next year, I have to get a better system for bottling. I have a spigot on the bottom of a pot, for after it goes through the filter, but it goes straight out. I think I just need to change the fitting to a 90 deg bend. Also tried using tin to bottle in. I liked the way they look, but impossible to see how far up you are, and therefore, very messy. Last year I used glass, but even though I filled them to within a quarter inch of the top, when they cooled, they were always at least an inch down (quarts and pints and half gal jugs). I know the syrup will shrink as it cools, but . . . that much? I question the seal. Thoughts?

Anyway, on to other things! Starting seeds this week! Planting peas! And getting the small sailboat ready.

aviboy97
03-15-2022, 10:39 AM
Today is most likely my last boil. I’m in Southbury. Was a good season! Probably my best yet at 4 gallons. Hoping today gives me some dark syrup. I have plenty of amber.

CTguy923
03-15-2022, 01:47 PM
collected last night around 6, had full buckets, went to collect today at 1, had 1/2 to 3/4 full buckets again, and still running like a faucet here in Torrington, thinking it'll run all night again tonight giving me full buckets again tomorrow

Sugar Bear
03-15-2022, 08:49 PM
collected last night around 6, had full buckets, went to collect today at 1, had 1/2 to 3/4 full buckets again, and still running like a faucet here in Torrington, thinking it'll run all night again tonight giving me full buckets again tomorrow

I pretty much had the same. I've picked up 100 gallons on my final run. Thought my drops to buckets were done for the year but they returned to first week form with first week sap for some reason. Even though they are 4 weeks in and seen several days in the 60's. That was a surprise. Hit the highest natural vacuum of the year on one of my natural vacuum runs today. Another surprise ... even though we had at best a soft frost last night. Can't say I have ever seen anything like it before. Seemed like the trees still had some business to take care of and knew they better git er done now! Sugars gave 2+ and Reds gave 1+.

I imagine things will run a bit tonight but I see them backing down now.

What a gorgeous late season day to be getting gin clear sap, making this my favorite season so far for sugaring.

I am pulling taps when this run stops and flushing. No sense in letting things get buggered up after this.