PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade Plastic?

Bucket Head
01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I asked this question in one of the other section's, but I later thought that it might do better here.

Can anyone confirm that "Food Grade" plastic's have the initial's "HDPE" stamped on them? That stand's for High Density Poly Ethylene. I was led to believe that stamping designated the bucket/barrel/tank,etc. as safe for food storage.

One of the other section's has a debate going on about "safe" sap storage vessel's so I figured we should be able to recognize the food grade plastic somehow, without any question.

Thank's,
Steve

gmcooper
01-17-2008, 09:56 PM
This is a website I just found on the subject. It goes on quite a ways but really answers the questions.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Mark

Sugarmaker
01-18-2008, 08:24 PM
BH,
Yes thats a good site and has easy to follow points about the difference of food grade and non food grade plastics.
I agree that we are policing our own ranks on this subject and awareness and education are the good first steps. Thanks, Chris

maple flats
01-20-2008, 07:28 PM
You must also be able to identify what the plastic has had in it before unless you are going with new. Some things just can not be safely washed out but most can. If previous use involved anything toxic i would not take a chance.