PDA

View Full Version : Installing firebrick outside in the cold

IonicTick
01-15-2022, 11:27 AM
Howdy crew,

I'm a new syrup maker that recently had a used Leader Half Pint dropped off at my slice of heaven. The only problem is...I have to install the firebrick yet. My thought is to follow the instructions online, put the brick all in, and then setup a Mr. Buddy Heater inside to cure it?

Is there a better way to do this? My new property doesn't have the garage built yet. It's either this, or do it in the basement and then try to get four guys together to carry it out to the boil site. No sugar shack built yet at this point either. We'll be boiling outside for 2022.

buckeye gold
01-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Brick it where your going to use it. You don't want to move it after you have bricked it. You may be able to get by without refractory this first year. You could build a small fire in it when done. Build you a portable shed or cover with a pop up tent and tarps and put a salamander heater in it. While you have it unbricked I would get ceramic blanket and insulate the sides, you'll retain a ton more heat. You'll never regret doing it. you can just stick it to the side of the arch with tiny bit of stove cement (just a dab here and there only to hold it up). If your careful you don't need anything. https://www.sugarbushsupplies.com/catalog/2021%20Catalog%20Web.pdf

A blower will help you with your boil rate too.

NhShaun
01-15-2022, 12:16 PM
I agree brick, it where you're going to use it for now. Light a small fire to cure it, but put the small heater aiming towards the firebox overnight after the fire dies out just to prevent any uncured refractory cement from freezing. I also agree with adding some ceramic insulation between the metal and the brick to retain heat and keep the arch sides from being abused by high temps. You may want to put something under the whole evaporator like a pallet of sorts to make it easier when you do have to move it into your garage with a tractor or on wheels. The bricks add a lot more weight than you might think.