PDA

View Full Version : One more drop question.

Trapper2
01-11-2022, 11:13 AM
When replacing drops and tubing on lines, do you replace the T also or do you just replace the drop and tap/spile/spout? If you only replace the tap and drop, how do you remove tubing from the T?

Super Sapper
01-11-2022, 11:21 AM
You would normally replace the Tee as it is very hard to remove without damaging the barbs.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-11-2022, 11:38 AM
Do yourself a favor and make the drops ahead of time and before you go in the woods- New tee, drop and spout. You can do it in the heat of your home or shack. This past Sunday we made 150 drops in the shack while it was a freezing rain/ice storm outside in the AM. Had lunch and the storm ended so we went out afterwards and started tearing down the lines we are replacing this year. Work smarter, not harder and make good use of your time. Either way- yes to the new tee. Not worth trying to save and part of good sanitation practices.

Trapper2
01-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Do yourself a favor and make the drops ahead of time and before you go in the woods- New tee, drop and spout. You can do it in the heat of your home or shack. This past Sunday we made 150 drops in the shack while it was a freezing rain/ice storm outside in the AM. Had lunch and the storm ended so we went out afterwards and started tearing down the lines we are replacing this year. Work smarter, not harder and make good use of your time. Either way- yes to the new tee. Not worth trying to save and part of good sanitation practices.
Yes, when putting up a new line, i have everything premade while sitting inside by the fire so all I need to do is attach the T to the lines. But i wasn't sure about when replacing drops what best practice was..

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-11-2022, 11:47 AM
Yup, well you're on the right track then. Same method/parts whether new line or just new drops.

TapTapTap
01-12-2022, 05:57 AM
The idea is to preinstall the T into the drop as others have said.
Also, I like to leave the spout off my prefabricated drops. When I tap, I'll install the spout on the tree and hand connect the drop. The advantages are -

- can install drops anytime and tap later.
- easier to tap on back side of tree from the drop
- I use signature spouts on new drops which are a pia to install before tapping
- a fitting on one end of a bundle of drops is hassle enough to manage.

And all easier with straight precut drops.

I assume you have a 2-handed tool for installing the drops. You'll at least need a single handed tool with a set of tension hooks.

Ken

Trapper2
01-12-2022, 10:58 AM
Great advice and thanks to Peter for resetting my password.