PDA

View Full Version : 40" Drops to buckets.

Trapper2
01-10-2022, 04:35 PM
I realize you can buy straight drops, but they are twice as expensive as what I can cut myself out of a spool.
My problem is, at 40" long, they retain the shape of the coil. For the most part it isn't too much of issue with these mostly going into buckets, but on occasion they have popped out of the buckets. Has anyone had any luck straitening them?
How?

Thanks

NhShaun
01-10-2022, 04:52 PM
Are you using rigid or semi rigid tubing? I prefer to use the more flexible tubing when running drops. I found it much easier to work with, even more so when you are just running into a bucket and can manipulate the tube with one free end.

Trapper2
01-10-2022, 05:03 PM
Are you using rigid or semi rigid tubing? I prefer to use the more flexible tubing when running drops. I found it much easier to work with, even more so when you are just running into a bucket and can manipulate the tube with one free end.
Yes I am using the semirigid.

ecolbeck
01-10-2022, 06:05 PM
These are 5 gallon buckets on the ground?
Could you tap lower on the tree so the tubing reaches further into the bucket?
Could you drill a smaller hole in the lid so that the tubing is friction fit?

johnallin
01-10-2022, 07:46 PM
I realize you can buy straight drops, but they are twice as expensive as what I can cut myself out of a spool.
My problem is, at 40" long, they retain the shape of the coil. For the most part it isn't too much of issue with these mostly going into buckets, but on occasion they have popped out of the buckets. Has anyone had any luck straitening them?
How?

Thanks

If you've already got them made up, try running a heat gun over them just long enough to soften and see if you can take the "set" out of them.
When it's time to replace, go with a more flexible tube as Shaun said.

TapTapTap
01-11-2022, 05:55 AM
I like the precuts because of how straight they hang, and just as importantly how straight they lay for handling. Grabbing a couple hundred straight drops with Tees to take out in the sugar bush is a lot easier than handling and managing curled up ones.

I assume that the precuts are cut soon after they're manufactured, and maybe at the factory before coiling, so there's no curl to them. Almost any tubing will want to curl if it was coiled at the factory and left coiled for months. The tubing is probably coiled when it's temperature is just right and still warm so final cooling is in the coiled shape.

Bottom line for me is to go with the precuts.

Ken

Openwater
01-11-2022, 10:06 AM
My drops only stick about 2" thru the bucket lid, but the holes in the lid are small enough that when I put the 5/16 thru the hole, it's tight enough (friction fit) that the lid will just hang on the tubing when I empty the bucket into my collection bucket. I also put a brick on the bucket lid. The little bit of coil/memory left in the 5/16 isn't enough to budge the tubing in the lid.

Trapper2
01-11-2022, 11:05 AM
These are 5 gallon buckets on the ground?
Could you tap lower on the tree so the tubing reaches further into the bucket?
Could you drill a smaller hole in the lid so that the tubing is friction fit?
Yes into 5 gallon buckets. Actually i hang the buckets from a rope to increase my yearly tapping band. i do have a friction fit hole.

Trapper2
01-11-2022, 11:09 AM
I like the precuts because of how straight they hang, and just as importantly how straight they lay for handling. Grabbing a couple hundred straight drops with Tees to take out in the sugar bush is a lot easier than handling and managing curled up ones.

I assume that the precuts are cut soon after they're manufactured, and maybe at the factory before coiling, so there's no curl to them. Almost any tubing will want to curl if it was coiled at the factory and left coiled for months. The tubing is probably coiled when it's temperature is just right and still warm so final cooling is in the coiled shape.

Bottom line for me is to go with the precuts.

Ken I guess if I feel straight is that important I need to buy straight. I can carry abought 75 drops with me at a time in a thin walled pvc tube, sorry I cant post a picture.

DrTimPerkins
01-11-2022, 12:59 PM
...sorry I cant post a picture.

Looking like it'll be closer to the end of the month or early next before there will be a site upgrade to allow pictures to be posted again.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?37013-A-message-from-MapleTrader-for-new-registrants

Don't shoot the messenger. :o

TapTapTap
01-11-2022, 04:45 PM
I also prefer the straight drops when I detap and just let them hang and drain during the offseason. The curly ones I had from 2 years ago trap the sap.