PDA

View Full Version : Sanitizing totes

Ken18621
01-10-2022, 04:20 PM
I read where you could use pool shock for sanitizing 3/16" tubing at a ratio of 1/2 cup to 50 gallons of water .

I was wondering if it would also work for cleaning totes.

Then I got to thinking about when I shock my in ground pool I use 2 bags of shock for 20,000 gallons.
(I'm guessing that is about four cups of shock)
Anyway, that leaves my pool with a heavy chlorine smell.....

Any thoughts if the 1/2 cup of shock to 50 gallons of water ratio would be fine?

DrTimPerkins
01-11-2022, 07:42 AM
Not an answer to your question, but I'd just like to clear up things a bit here.

Calcium hypochlorite is commonly used to sanitize pools. SOME types are approved for use in sanitizing porous and non-porous materials in food facilities and thus are OK to use for maple tubing. SOME types are NOT approved and should NOT be used. Do not assume that all pool sanitizers are ok to use. Do your homework to determine whether the type you purchase is ok.

The ratio to use depends upon what you're using, so you do need to read the label to determine the correct dilution.

Metal equipment should never be soaked in a chlorine solution for a long period of time (unless your object is to destroy the equipment). Similarly, don't use chlorine in an RO system.

In all cases, use of chlorine (sodium or calcium) chloride requires a 5-10 minute minimum contact time, and should be followed by rinsing with potable water.

Swingpure
04-17-2022, 09:51 AM
I live in an area where access to pool chemicals is very limited. Is power washing pails and totes and barrels, sufficient? Is just flushing lines with water sufficient? It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

Are there other sanitizing chemical options?

Sugar Bear
04-17-2022, 04:45 PM
I live in an area where access to pool chemicals is very limited. Is power washing pails and totes and barrels, sufficient? Is just flushing lines with water sufficient? It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

Are there other sanitizing chemical options?

Power washing has worked well for me. Key is to get to containers before mold starts growing.

Once mold starts growing on sidewalls it will want to come back easily even when rinsed/blasted away with just water.

Then you might need to go to something like star sans to knock out the culture. I.E. brings you back to ground zero.

My mold did not start for a few years or after the point I was not immediately rinsing/cleaning/drying things at seasons end with clean water.

Power washers are great for the task but remember a high enough setting/machine can scuff/rip up your polymer containers.

The 90 degree turn fitting attachment for spray head works well for getting in and back up under container tops.

Remember the 90 degree turn redirects force on the spray gun and it will try to rip the gun out of your hand if your not ready for it. Even rip your joint up too.

The higher the concentrate is in containers the faster the mold wants to get the block party started.

This year I left a trace of 8% in some 5 gallon jugs and man did that grow some black cotton candy fast.

stoweski
04-26-2022, 05:33 AM
Starsan works great for keeping poly tanks and totes from growing mold. Just make sure to rinse before use in the spring or you could end up losing sap/syrup like I did.
I pressure wash my tanks and use PBW as a cleaner. After rinsing I spray starsan in the tanks and let it dry. Works on stainless tanks and any transfer hoses as well.
There are two versions of starsan, one is low foaming.

eustis22
04-26-2022, 09:03 AM
>It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

I got mine from Amazon.

I powerwash all sides, then add a diluted calcium hypochlorite solution, about 5-10 gallons worth, roll the tanks so all sides get a good sloshing, then let it sit on the bottom (where the last remnants of sap were for an hour or so, then drain and power wash everything again, then multiple rinsings/drainings.....then I let them sit in the sun to dry out before packing them away on their sides.

Swingpure
04-26-2022, 09:59 AM
Starsan works great for keeping poly tanks and totes from growing mold. Just make sure to rinse before use in the spring or you could end up losing sap/syrup like I did.
I pressure wash my tanks and use PBW as a cleaner. After rinsing I spray starsan in the tanks and let it dry. Works on stainless tanks and any transfer hoses as well.
There are two versions of starsan, one is low foaming.

Would a 16 oz container of starsan get me very far?

Edit: I see you add 1 oz to 5 gallons, so that will be plenty. I got the low foaming type:

https://www.amazon.ca/Five-Star-FS-Io-Star-16oz-Sanitizer/dp/B00FA89XM8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1AAHBHD39OEMW&keywords=Starsan&qid=1650986439&sprefix=starsen%2Caps%2C323&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHV1dKTkJQSFBUSE8mZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDc2MzIySllGV0xXQjhLTEoxJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MDY4ODgxMlFTV01LUlUxTTFRJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I will spray all of my barrels and containers.

Thanks

Swingpure
04-26-2022, 10:37 AM
>It is hard to find calcium hypochlorite in these parts.

I got mine from Amazon.

I cannot find it on the Canadian Amazon site. I will try and find it from a pool supply store when I finally travel to a larger centre that has one.

I have rinsed all of my tubing snd drops with copious amounts of water.

At one point this summer or fall I will use the calcium hypo chlorite, then rinse one time with water.

Now if I do not see any signs of mold in the lines, do I really need that step? I will be replacing all of my spiles/spouts.

stoweski
04-27-2022, 04:46 AM
A little goes a long way! It looks as though I’ve used any!

Just don’t forget to rinse well before using!!! I’d hate to see someone else lose syrup because of it. I had to dump 5 gallons of syrup and about 200 gallons of sap so I could clean everything that was contaminated! Not good for a small sugarmaker!

Swingpure
04-27-2022, 07:48 AM
A little goes a long way! It looks as though I’ve used any!

Just don’t forget to rinse well before using!!! I’d hate to see someone else lose syrup because of it. I had to dump 5 gallons of syrup and about 200 gallons of sap so I could clean everything that was contaminated! Not good for a small sugarmaker!

Thanks.

My plan is to spray my barrels and totes with the Starsan. Let it sit in them for the summer, then power wash everything in the fall, really well.

DMF
04-27-2022, 08:29 AM
This video from Krueger Norton got his Calcium Hypochlorite from SpaDaddy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxsCiI5Ano

82cabby
04-30-2022, 04:31 PM
Not an answer to your question, but I'd just like to clear up things a bit here.

Calcium hypochlorite is commonly used to sanitize pools. SOME types are approved for use in sanitizing porous and non-porous materials in food facilities and thus are OK to use for maple tubing. SOME types are NOT approved and should NOT be used. Do not assume that all pool sanitizers are ok to use. Do your homework to determine whether the type you purchase is ok.

The ratio to use depends upon what you're using, so you do need to read the label to determine the correct dilution.

Metal equipment should never be soaked in a chlorine solution for a long period of time (unless your object is to destroy the equipment). Similarly, don't use chlorine in an RO system.

In all cases, use of chlorine (sodium or calcium) chloride requires a 5-10 minute minimum contact time, and should be followed by rinsing with potable water.

Thanks Dr. Tim for the clarification. I appreciate the guidance.

I’m having trouble finding Calcium Hypochlorite that specifically states it is intended for sanitizing equipment used for food but I did find these that are used for wells and therefore potable water. Does that seem like enough assurance that it’s food safe? And if so can anyone recommend a dilution rate for sterilizing ibc totes with this type of product?

http://https://www.amazon.com/Better-Water-Industries-Chrloine-Pallets/dp/B074V9XKBD/ref=sr_1_25?crid=T31ONYFIFE5X&keywords=calcium+hypochlorite+sanitizer&qid=1651353387&sprefix=calcium+hypochlorite+sanatizer%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-25 (https://www.amazon.com/Better-Water-Industries-Chrloine-Pallets/dp/B074V9XKBD/ref=sr_1_25?crid=T31ONYFIFE5X&keywords=calcium+hypochlorite+sanitizer&qid=1651353387&sprefix=calcium+hypochlorite+sanatizer%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-25)

https://www.amazon.com/Well-Safe-C21000-Well-Sanitizer-Pack/dp/B00SD7TPA8/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_1/130-3086563-6613804?pd_rd_w=csdGk&pf_rd_p=6b3eefea-7b16-43e9-bc45-2e332cbf99da&pf_rd_r=22S4ZFY86ZRRB425WSYG&pd_rd_r=0cc8b064-e910-4af2-9224-75c156143280&pd_rd_wg=tP1eN&pd_rd_i=B00SD7TPA8&psc=1

Rockfallsmaple
04-30-2022, 08:08 PM
I agree I couldn't find any calcium chloride for sanitizing porous material but I did find this from US Water Systems, https://www.uswatersystems.com/shop?q=710-C20832G. It's used to sanitize wells and the container has instructions for sanitizing drinking water also. It also lists the product as a USDA Food-Grade Sanitizer.
I used a little under a 1/4 tsp in 2 gallons of water, this was too strong, but it did the job. The tote is clean. With a good rinse there is no chlorine odor.