PDA

View Full Version : Lateral line tensioning at end of run

Openwater
01-08-2022, 02:04 PM
I'm trying to determine the best/easiest method of tensioning my 5/16 laterals before going into my shurflo pump.
Let me know what all you guys running laterals into a bin/tub with pump use to keep your line tight before entering your bin/tub.
Thanks for any and all advice/input.

maple flats
01-08-2022, 02:50 PM
I've done it more than 1 way. I think maybe the easiest is to use 1/4" braided rope. Tie it to anything convenient on one end and push the tubing into the hollow center of the rope, about 6-8" and then out the side. It will grip like a Chinese finger trap. To thread it in, I've always used the forward half of a ball point pen, the old Big click pens worked best but nowadays you need to find a pen that is similar, Bic no longer makes that particular pen. I push the tubing into the open pen barrel, and just push it all up into the center of the rope by pushing on the tubing, at 6-8" push it out the side. You need to push by the lateral line, any other way will not work. I don't know what they are called, but a tool like that is made, I never used one.
Then to adjust pull on the tubing and the rope will hold it wherever you stop.
1/4" braided rope quantities, maybe 2-2.5' for each. Back when I started using this method I actually bought a 1000' spool, not 10-12 yrs later, I likely still have 800' left on the spool. I keep it mounted on a rod between joists over my work bench and I cut off whatever I think I'll need. I think I guessed high on the 1000' spool.

johnallin
01-08-2022, 05:15 PM
I've done it more than 1 way. I think maybe the easiest is to use 1/4" braided rope. Tie it to anything convenient on one end and push the tubing into the hollow center of the rope, ....I push the tubing into the open pen barrel, and just push it all up into the center of the rope by pushing on the tubing, at 6-8" push it out the side. You need to push by the lateral line, any other way will not work. I don't know what they are called, but a tool like that is made, I never used one.

That tool is called a splicing fid...used in making up rigging for sailboats and for making eye splices at the end of a line. I normally bunch up the braided line where the tube enters, you can make 1/4" line open up to almost 1/2" that way.

buckeye gold
01-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Here you go, used a bunch of them in my days. A friend was a xommercial fisherman and made commercial fishing nets. I learned a little from him. Once you run the rope out the side just burn it and smash the end flat and it will never pull out

https://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Plastic-Splicing-Fids/dp/B082YC9K3H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=rope+splicing+fids&qid=1641688530&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMkxVMDVGMU0wNjg1J mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODA1MDgyM0I2N1VITkI3MkkyUSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzg1NTI1MjZQNDlZN0U1Mk00NiZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Openwater
01-08-2022, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to avoid buying wire and those ratcheting tensioners and tools.
Braided polypropylene is cheap enough.

BAP
01-09-2022, 07:03 AM
Make sure you use a torch to burn the rope to cut it to length not cut it with a knife. Burning it will keep it from unraveling.

VTnewguy
01-09-2022, 05:38 PM
I have run my 3/16 lines into a straight connector that has 5/16 on the other side. I then run those into a short piece of mainline and into the shurflo pump.