PDA

View Full Version : Thinking its close

esetter
01-02-2022, 08:17 PM
Y'all thought about tapping a couple after this weeks cold snap?

ecp
01-03-2022, 08:39 AM
More than thought about it. But, i am in a little different climate

esetter
01-03-2022, 11:37 AM
Yes , Id say you are frozen up there. Just now getting our first real winter weather here.

Swingpure
01-03-2022, 10:50 PM
Someone in Massachusetts has started!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aeNMRefzBbGZLmslol3faIGQ

berkshires
01-04-2022, 01:05 PM
Someone in Massachusetts has started!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aeNMRefzBbGZLmslol3faIGQ

Did you mean to share an image of a map of the Northeast US and Canada with a bunch of red pins all over it?

GO

Swingpure
01-04-2022, 04:45 PM
Did you mean to share an image of a map of the Northeast US and Canada with a bunch of red pins all over it?

GO

Yes and there is one green one in Massachusetts, where a person is reporting sap collected.

fisheatingbagel
01-04-2022, 04:58 PM
Aye, Esetter. I think we'll be tapping early next week according to the current forecast. Really, we probably should of tapped a few days ago but we're doing the University of Louisville tapping workshop next Friday so we try to coordinate our season start around that.

If I was using tubing, I think I would tap in late December and see how the season goes from there.

berkshires
01-04-2022, 08:43 PM
Yes and there is one green one in Massachusetts, where a person is reporting sap collected.

Oh okay. What is this map?

GO

Swingpure
01-04-2022, 08:55 PM
Oh okay. What is this map?

GO

It is from the SapTapApp. This map will torture me as everyone south of me starts reporting weeks before my sap flows.

ecp
01-05-2022, 10:38 AM
It is from the SapTapApp. This map will torture me as everyone south of me starts reporting weeks before my sap flows. It will come sooner or later no need to worry.

DrTimPerkins
01-05-2022, 11:15 AM
It is from the SapTapApp. This map will torture me as everyone south of me starts reporting weeks before my sap flows.

Yes, that’s the way it works. Southern areas have their season first, then it progresses northward.

If looking at the map is troublesome, stop looking at it.

Swingpure
01-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Yes, that’s the way it works. Southern areas have their season first, then it progresses northward.

If looking at the map is troublesome, stop looking at it.

Lol, I have to look at it, it is like watching Santa coming on NORAD!

esetter
01-05-2022, 10:11 PM
Have some family in Louisville , Thats awesome you all are doing a workshop. Yea , I feel like im running behind every year , but don't worry , as soon as I get all of them tapped , it will stop!

berkshires
01-06-2022, 10:45 AM

Okay, well I bit on the line you threw out. Nifty. That being said, unless I'm not using it right, it looks like hardly anyone in VT taps maple trees. <eyeroll> Does the fact that the app is not used much not mess up the data?

GO

Swingpure
01-06-2022, 04:06 PM
Okay, well I bit on the line you threw out. Nifty. That being said, unless I'm not using it right, it looks like hardly anyone in VT taps maple trees. <eyeroll> Does the fact that the app is not used much not mess up the data?

GO

I think the App is used a lot, but sap isn’t flowing yet, so no one is reporting yet. I find it great for knowing the boiling point of sap at my location , taking into account the air pressure. It also has a sap flow predictor which can be helpful. The sap flow maps gives you an idea of when to start to get ready to start tapping. And there is a reporting section.

I jokingly said that it will be torture watching everyone tapping well ahead of me, but I think it will be neat and I think this will be a valuable app for me.

berkshires
01-20-2022, 10:46 AM
I think the App is used a lot, but sap isn’t flowing yet, so no one is reporting yet. I find it great for knowing the boiling point of sap at my location , taking into account the air pressure. It also has a sap flow predictor which can be helpful. The sap flow maps gives you an idea of when to start to get ready to start tapping. And there is a reporting section.

I jokingly said that it will be torture watching everyone tapping well ahead of me, but I think it will be neat and I think this will be a valuable app for me.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my post. I signed up for the app, and was surprised by one thing: There are a total of 7 sugarbushes in the entire state of VT in the app. Compare that to CT which has 24 sugarbushes (more than three times as many) - again, according to the app. However in the real world, VT has 70 times the number of taps that CT does. So that very sparse reporting in VT and heavier stats in some other areas (like CT) seems like it would make the app less relevant. But I've not used it before, so who knows.

DrTim - do you guys enter your data into the app? Obviously you don't need the app to do any data recording - I'm sure you have much more detailed info, but I suppose it might be a bit of a public service.

Gabe

BAP
01-21-2022, 06:07 AM
Can you even get the SapTapApp anymore?

ecp
01-21-2022, 06:36 AM
Maybe the app is correct and people in Vermont don't tap trees. It could all be a conspiracy haha.

berkshires
01-21-2022, 10:53 AM
Can you even get the SapTapApp anymore?
Yes, go to www.saptapapps.com

Cheers,

Gabe