PDA

View Full Version : Minimum volume for a filter press? Adding new syrup to stored.

Mr. Bucketsworth
12-31-2021, 11:57 AM
I'm in my third year and run about 30 taps. I RO my sap and have a new SL 16" x 30" evaporator with divided pan. Over the summer I picked up a SL short-bank filter press with hand pump on Facebook Marketplace. My plan this year is to boil and store in stainless drums and then filter/bottle all at once. I usually end up with about 4 gallons. Two questions:

Is this enough volume to make using the filter press worthwhile?
Is there any harm in adding freshly drawn syrup to syrup previously stored?

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy several smaller drums or just a couple of larger ones.

Any insights would be appreciated - really enjoy the forum.

Pdiamond
12-31-2021, 07:52 PM
I have used my filter press with as little as 2.5 gallons. I just reduce the number of plates. As far as mixing syrup that is really up to you. If they are both the same grade it would be fine. if it's just for your own use and you don't care about grade mix it.

SeanD
01-01-2022, 07:57 AM
Good question and answer. Something in the OP caught my attention, though. You should be getting more than 4 gallons of syrup from 30 taps even with gravity/buckets. It should be closer to 8 with gravity. There's always some loss in different stages, but that's too much. Share a little bit more about your trees/collection to see if somebody spots an issue for you.

Mr. Bucketsworth
01-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Thanks so much for the reply - I actually have the extra stainless divider that allows me to use fewer plates without breaking things down.

Mr. Bucketsworth
01-01-2022, 09:39 AM
The actual number last year was 27 - should be 30 this year. Some of the trees are just not great producers (my theory has always been they see too little sunlight). The other issue is I have a son who plays college baseball, meaning the season for me often gets cut short so that I can watch him play down in Florida. We'll see how it goes this year - again, THANK YOU for the replies and observations.

SeanD
01-01-2022, 03:08 PM
Wow! I'd trade half my crop to watch my kid play collegiate basketball, too. That's fantastic. I'll keep my eyes out for a Bucketsworth in the NCAA.

maple flats
01-07-2022, 08:52 AM
You can mix new with old syrup without issue, but not for long term storage. It must be kept cool too, because what you are adding the new to is cold. I suggest you do it, then after basketball has finished, get the whole batch of stored syrup up to 185-190F mix it well, test for density, filter again and pack it in jugs, bottles or SS barrels. If you do that too long after the season you risk losing some quality. Just the reheating will darken it some.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-07-2022, 09:10 AM
We mix syrup through the season if it grades the same off the evaporator. Once we have 8-12 gallons we will heat it up and run it through press. You can certainly play with how many plates you want to use and see what works for you. I would think it would be somewhat difficult to do less than 2 gallons given what it takes to charge the press and factoring in what might get wasted. So I would try that as a minimum and go from there. Congrats on the basketball star, that's cool!