PDA

View Full Version : Tapping reds with broken off branches

Openwater
12-18-2021, 02:31 PM
I've got a few old red maples about 36" diameter with some old broken branch damage from 6-10 ft off the ground. These look like they were large branches that broke off at least 5-10 years ago. I took pics of one of the trees, but was unable to upload the photos. Last year I put 2 taps into buckets on 2 of theses and they produced pretty well. They all have very big healthy appearing crowns.
I'd like to put 2 taps in each of these and put them on my new 5/16 mech vacuum lines next season, but was wondering if anyone had any tips about where to put the taps. If the broken branch stubs are at least 6 ft off the ground, and the trunk/bark under them is well-healed, what are the chances I'll hit stained/dead wood vs good wood under these "holes" in the trunk where the branch used to be? Like I said, these probably broke off at least 10 years ago.

Pdiamond
12-18-2021, 10:52 PM
The trees should be pretty well healed by now. You do not have to tap under a large branch or above a large root to get sap from the tree. I would say as long as they have had healthy crowns you should be okay to tap them.

Openwater
12-19-2021, 06:20 AM
What I was more interested in is should I avoid tapping the trunk under the wound site of the broken branch for fear of hitting stained wood? Or is the stained/dead wood only around the immediate area of the broken branch which is 7-8' off the ground? I guess what I really want to know is if there is still a streak a stained/diseased wood running down the stem from the broken branch wound. I know not to concentrate tap holes under/above branches/roots.
Thanks for the advice.

Openwater
12-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Any idea why I can't upload pics of these trees? I just get the message "Top Tree1.jpg: Upload of file failed."

LMP Maple
12-19-2021, 08:13 AM
Look up Alex Shigo and the CODIT principle. This will give you a good idea about wound closure and sealing often mistakenly called healing in trees. It is important to understand that trees do not heal they seal. The CODIT principle explains the four walls of defense an how a tree responds to any wounding from tapping trees to broken branches etc. You will find some great pictures of broken branches and what the wood staining looks like under these areas.

DrTimPerkins
12-20-2021, 08:12 AM
If you avoid tapping directly above or below those broken off branches by 12" or so you should be fine. Off to the side of the broken branches there will also not be any problem. If you tap into dead wood near them, hit it with a spot of spray paint and avoid tapping close to that area for another 10 yrs.

Openwater
12-20-2021, 10:56 AM
Thanks for those guidelines, Dr Tim. I looked up some the information from Alex Shigo. He has some very eye-opening longitudinal and tangential sections of damaged maple trees. It appears most of the decay from a large broken branch extends at an angle more into the tree than up and down the stem from the break. So after enough years, there should be good sapwood both above and below the break-off.

DrTimPerkins
12-20-2021, 11:40 AM
https://mapleresearch.org/pub/shigo1984/

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/gtr_ne47-2/