PDA

View Full Version : New evaporator

tpathoulas
12-12-2021, 11:02 AM
Hello All,
Weare in the beginning stages of building a new evaporator. Our old one was highly inefficient. We are lining with ceramic blanket and bricks. My question, do you, or how do you keep the ceramic blanket in place?
Thanks in advance

darkmachine
12-12-2021, 11:12 AM
The ceramic blanket under my flue pan is press fit in two layers, no attachment necessary. The insulation on the door I welded nuts to the inside of the door and then used small stainless steel machine screws with flat pan washers to hold it on, when they burn out i just replace them. I have pics if you are interested.

Jacob

82cabby
12-12-2021, 08:22 PM
The ceramic blanket under my flue pan is press fit in two layers, no attachment necessary. The insulation on the door I welded nuts to the inside of the door and then used small stainless steel machine screws with flat pan washers to hold it on, when they burn out i just replace them. I have pics if you are interested.

Jacob

Pretty much exactly what I did too. Put the blanket between the bricks and the steel in most places. The rigid insulation board also came in really handy.

NhShaun
12-13-2021, 06:57 AM
I put my fire blanket in snug so it basically held itself in place, then layered the bricks. I used zinc coated carriage bolts from the outside with large washers to hold the bricks in place. It was outside and about 10 degrees when i was doing this so using the refractory cement wasn't really an option. I put a washer snug on the brick, followed by a nut, then 2 more washers and another nut. It lasted 2 seasons before the bolts started snapping(Mostly on the back wall of the firebox) I replaced them all with the same set up but stainless steel hardware and it has lasted 4 more seasons without any issues. If i were to do it again i would have set them in place and cemented them in for good. The bolts sticking out are kind of a pain when loading wood and they look kind of crappy from the outside, But it got the job done.

berkshires
12-13-2021, 12:28 PM
WF Mason provides what he calls "Arch Paper" (which I guess is a thin ceramic blanket) to put between bricks and arch. When I asked him your same question, he said a little dab of refractory cement here and there would do it.

GO

tpathoulas
12-14-2021, 08:25 PM
Thank you all for the advice and ideas. When we get things together I'll post pictures for you to critique our work.
Happy Holidays